PDA

View Full Version : Why do people ignore firework advice?

jonathang
4th Nov 2002, 23:53
Watched a small fireworks display on friday night,

*was shocked by a guy lighting a rocket from his cigarette while it was still in his mouth.

*returning to firework to attempt relight after it did not work.

Have we not learnt from the hard experience of others ?

Do we not value our life?

Justforkix
5th Nov 2002, 00:00
Yep, smoking is dangerous. Why do people smoke, when we all know it kills you?

reynoldsno1
5th Nov 2002, 00:10
Seems as though it may be a form of natural selection... don't worry about it.

EI-TURKEY
5th Nov 2002, 00:26
Wadddd do you want,........ common sense?
people will do stupid things, it's in their nature, we are all guilty!!!!!

jonathang
5th Nov 2002, 00:31
Thats true we all do stupid things,

But explosive a little over an inch from you eyes :mad:

Great example to set to children watching.

Tinker
5th Nov 2002, 00:34
If it wasn't for people like that we wouldn't have the Darwin Awards ;) , lets face it it's only an act of stupidity when it goes wrong.

Anthony Carn
5th Nov 2002, 08:37
.....a guy lighting a rocket.......
That's spooky ! :eek:

On a serious note, I reckon that fireworks should only be sold to professionals in charge of officially approved displays; Ban their sale to the public, full stop !

Grainger
5th Nov 2002, 09:17
Hey AC - nice tolerant knee-jerk reaction there.

While you're at it let's ban everything else where people can act stupid and hurt themselves :rolleyes:

More children are hurt or killed from Christmas decorations every year (faulty wiring on Xmas tree lights, that sort of thing) than by fireworks.

I guess you'll be wanting to ban fairylights next <sigh>.

Anthony Carn
5th Nov 2002, 09:43
Grainger

Ban Christmas decorations ?

Of course not !

Ban the whole of Christmas !

* Dons flak jacket and retires to air raid shelter *

FlyingForFun
5th Nov 2002, 10:14
Read in the paper this morning about a teenage kid who took a display-type firework (don't know where he got it, implication was it's not the sort of thing you can buy over the counter) into a school (not his school), lit it, put it in a cupboard, then, when nothing happened, opened the cupboard and picked it up. It blew up in his hand.

Not quite sure if I'm supposed to feel any sympathy for this guy. But if I am, well, tough, coz I don't.

Personally, I think displays are so much better than anything you can buy in the local corner shop, I really don't understand why people bother with fireworks in the back garden. But please don't ban fireworks and deprive those of us who are sensible with them from having that choice. If a minority of people are going to be stupid and ignore all the warnings about how to be safe around fireworks, that's their problem, not mine.

FFF
---------------

redsnail
5th Nov 2002, 11:17
It's because they are dozy twats, that's why.

nick24
5th Nov 2002, 11:44
Say what's on your mind, why don't you, Redsnail!

I tend to agree with those advocating a ban on sales to the general public. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I get sick and tired of the kids who hang around street corners letting off fireworks in the run up to 5 November trying to impress their equally brain deficient mates. If they want to blow their fingers off, then that's fine, but then it's you and me who end up paying for their life on the social as they can't hold a pen / spanner / crow bar etc.

Don D Cake
5th Nov 2002, 11:52
The reason we don't pay a blind bit of notice to safety advice is that a) we're not very good at risk analysis and b) we know better and anyway, nobody's going to tell me what I can or cannot do.

However, let's put this into perspective....

Last year there were 1362 reported accidents involving fireworks.

But the statistics compiled through hospital A&E reports revealed that in 1999....

An estimated 438,000 people attended A & E after having an accident while walking or simply moving through their house or
garden.
99,000 people had an accident doing DIY, such as electrical repairs, decorating, maintenance or carpentry.
96,000 people attended A & E after an accident occurred while they were sleeping, relaxing, sitting or lying down.
69,000 people had an accident while working in the garden digging, mowing, clearing or watering.
37,000 people suffered an accident while eating or drinking at home.
9,877 were injured whilst rollerskating.
416,000 people fractured bones whilst playing sport.

Nopax,thanx
5th Nov 2002, 12:01
FFF you make a good point; I myself would make fireworks only available from wholesale outlets to official displays, but there is an issue of the individual's freedom of choice.

Now, regarding said individual who has injured himself by his own sheer stupidity and crass disregard of the safety of others...he will now have free medical attention, and the possibility of a disability award in future years - maybe unfit for work, even. Is there a case for those in such circumstances to be held accountable for their actions? It's a slippery slope, of course - you then get into the realms of other self-inflicted injuries like car crashes when one driver is held responsible, etc.....I'm just throwing that one in to see what the others think...

Grainger
5th Nov 2002, 12:29
The difficulty with banning things is that you're not really addressing the problem. A few people behave irresponsibly so you ban all the responsible people too. Brainwave :rolleyes:

Perish the thought that we should do anything sensible or creative - like banning anti-social behaviour or trying to find out what causes it. Far simpler to pretend that you're doing something about it by banning stuff. If the oiks can't get fireworks to throw, they'll only do the same thing with broken bottles, stolen cars, or camping gas cylinders chucked on the bonfire (makes a good bang and satisying ball of flame).

You can't ban everything. If you start banning things because they are dangerous then you'll end up with nothing to do. We've seen it before with handguns and glue (that's right, you can't get decent glue that sticks to anything any more).

Sounds like DIY would be the first one to go.
On second thoughts, that's probably not such a silly idea.

Nopax,thanx
5th Nov 2002, 12:37
True, true - wouldn't want any more nannying than we have already. Just wondering if there is a case to be made against those who deliberately ignore warnings - I mean, if you hurt yourself doing DIY or cutting the lawn that's one thing; we could all be unlucky....but buying a firework that says "Don't hold this, don't return to it once lit,etc." and then ignoring all of this because you want to have "fun" to me, that is a conscious act which leads on to other things for which that person is directly responsible - so do they deserve anything other than contempt??