PDA

View Full Version : Rappelling Rope Loading

engaero
4th Nov 2002, 22:04
Looking for test data on actual (typical) rope loading during rappelling operations in the field. Ideally I would appreciate data from instrumented tower descents - either as 'g' load history or max rope load/rappeller mass.

I have run searches in PPRuNe and obtained some leads which I am pursuing separately.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Email is not enabled, PM is enabled if you do not wish to post data in the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Arm out the window
5th Nov 2002, 09:58
Surely this stuff is well documented by rope manufacturers who make climbing/rappelling ropes?

Sorry if I'm grabbing the wrong end of the stick here, but it reminds me of the time that we were forbidden to conduct rappelling operations from helicopters using the (extremely well-tested by time and experience) rope attachment devices which would obviously hold not only the intended load, but a piano and an elephant as well, because nobody in the engineering world was willing to put their name to a piece of paper certifying that the RAD could do the job safely.

Dick Mitten
5th Nov 2002, 13:20
New England Ropes is a reputable mfgr of rescue rope. Go to their site: www.neropes.com and find the KMIII rope specs under kernmantle ropes.

Hope this helps!

rotorboy
5th Nov 2002, 16:53
The USFS and the BLM have done extensive tests on this subject. I dont know who is in charge of the USFS rotor wing / rappel program these days but it would be out of the NIFC in Boise ID. The tech center did tests on all the ropes, brackets and devices. A couple of years ago they did some neat drop tests on when they were designing the overhead bracket for the 407.

And courtesy of your tax dollars it is all public information.

RB

engaero
5th Nov 2002, 22:25
The rope manufacturers tend to deal with breaking loads which are of great interest to climbers who fall frequently but not, perhaps, so great a concern to experienced rappellers operating in tactical circumstances.

Working up a RAD to carry a herd of elephants is not a great difficulty - tying it into the helo is the concern.

DM - thanks, that site has some useful data.

Rotorboy - this is what I am after - you don't, by any chance, have any email or website contacts for the guys who would have been involved with this ?

I had no doubt that the research has been well and truly done - the problem, as often is the case, lies in tracking it down.

Thanks, guys.