PDA

View Full Version : And this weeks stupid question is.....

jimgriff
4th Nov 2002, 20:12
I do not fly helecopters, but, if I were to (and here is the stupid question:
Money being no object, what is the best to buy for GA use?

I get the idea from reading threads over the years that :
(and these are not based on fact but just the feeling I get)

1. R22 / 44 may not be good from a reliability point of view
2. Gazelle may not be good as it works back to front (rotor rotation direction)
3. Rotoway may not be good due to mfr probs

answers on a post card to.....

Vfrpilotpb
4th Nov 2002, 20:25
My wish list would be in order as follows,

Gazelles No 1
B206 No 2
Single Squirrel No 3
Apache No 4
Mil 26 No 5
Harrods Green Thingy No6
" " " No7
:D :D :D

My Regards

jimgriff
4th Nov 2002, 20:33
answers should be based on :

ease of use
forgiveness
cost
foibles
looks
availibility

not a wish list!
advice welcomed

I actually fancy a Hughes 500 type of thingy

Copter Driver
5th Nov 2002, 01:50
R44- not sure where your hearing reliability issues from, its a great personel helicopter. Cheaper price, cheaper to operate, and cruises up there with the 206 and 206L. Only downfall is loading it up with four people on an 40 degree C day is that you pull past max on the MP and only cruise around 95-100 kts. The R44 has also been proven to be more reliable then the 206. So if you couldnt afford to go jet, go R44. Extremely reliable.

Devil 49
5th Nov 2002, 14:51
What would you be doing with the helo?
Where?
Who's flying it?
Who's maintaining it?
Trouble free operation or maximum capability?

Only a guess from the post as presented-you want simple, inexpensive and 4 seats. If you're in a temperate clime and near sea level, the R-44's looks like it'd be worth checking out...

Randy_g
5th Nov 2002, 16:15
So, how many friends will you be carting about ?? If it's more than 1 for any length of time, I wouldn't recommend the 500. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine helicopter, and great to fly. Unless you are stuck in the back seats. It's very LOUD, and very cramped back there. They are quick, though most newer designs go faster, agile, and nice and stable in the hover. The 500 makes slope/offlevel landings into a non-event. I've personally seen 15 degrees on the AI with both skids on the ground.

If you take a few friends flying, why not a 206L (with the C20R conversion). Operating costs of a 206, but with the room to take 6 friends. It is also smooth, and has reasonable speed (110 kts). It is also reasonable to maintain. The AS350 series is another very popular a/c. Nice roomy cabin, decent speed, and good endurance. Costs are higher than the Bell's, but they are really nice ships to fly.

Cheers

http://randyspics.tripod.ca/gifs/naughty.gif Randy_G

http://randyspics.tripod.ca/gifs/man_grilling_hamburgers_sm_wht.gif

Vortex what...ouch!
6th Nov 2002, 15:38
Have to concur about the 500 if you are stuck in the back. Not very comfortable at all. Looks the puppies privates though :)

The 206 is nice to fly, makes even me look good :) plenty of room too. I have to agree that the 44 is the most cost effective. The Raven with hydraulics is a breeze to fly and will hack around at 115 knots with two up. Lots more inertia in the blades than the 22 so not so “sprightly” if the donk decides to step out. Very reliable so that hopefully won’t happen ;)

If you have the cash then it would have to be an Augusta A109 power, yeeeeehaaaaaa…..

Flying Lawyer
6th Nov 2002, 16:08
Gazelle may not be good as it works back to front (rotor rotation direction)

Doesn't make any difference as long as you've got two feet. You've got to use both in any helicopter.
Fast, carries five pax, one of the most reliable engines ever made, value for money and fun, fun, fun to fly.
Superb helicopter.
http://www.mwhelicopters.co.uk/MWHelicopters%20Right.gif