PDA

View Full Version : Pay/ hours – quick survey

theraingod
4th Nov 2002, 16:49
Before I jump in to any real debt I wanted a rough guild to the pay I could expect and number of hours needed to be considered for a range of rolls.

i.e. north sea co-pilot, north sea captain, tuna boats, search/ rescue, police, pipe line checking, logging.....ect.

Something along the lines of:

Job: Instructing
Hours: 200-250
Pay: 20 – 35,000 USD
-ve side: at the school for 12 hours / only paid for time with student.
+ve side: hours fast if at a busy school.

I would have put this in the Wannabes, but I wanted real feed back, beside I’m guessing I’m not the only one who may want to check up on the rates of pay…..

regards

MightyGem
5th Nov 2002, 09:44
For Police work you will need a minimum of 1500 total helicopter time of which 500 hours PIC overland in VMC( to include a significant proportion of low flying), with a minimum of 50 hours night of which 20 must be PIC.

Some forces require more. Wages are around 33 to 37k for forces who use contract pilots, and around 42k, ( I think), for those forces who employ pilots direct.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/3flypigs.gif

Helinut
5th Nov 2002, 11:28
Just to add to MG's post, you frequently need a minimum amount of twin time too for UK police flying. For pilots coming up the "hard way" this can be difficult to acquire.

theraingod
5th Nov 2002, 12:31
Thanks mightyGem / Helinut what would you say is the average wage after 5 and 10 years?

Does it top out?

regards

Helinut
5th Nov 2002, 15:43
Police flying is relatively new. With 1 or two exceptions, most Units have existed for a maximum of around 10 years, and some less than that. There is no indciation of major changes in the future, but you can never tell.

Aside from cost of living/inflation increases in pay, there is not much "progression" or scope for expansion/growth in police flying other than to Chief Pilot. These are limited opportunities - most Chief Pilots do not move. The police line pilot's job has many advantages, but one of its drawbacks is you are in the same place doing the same work. Some helicopter pilots like a variety of work and change of scene.

Bladestrike
5th Nov 2002, 23:42
20 years flying, offshore training Captain on heavies in Canada, 6000 plus hours. $90000 CDN, which, after taxes, equates to about $15000 US ;)

Thud_and_Blunder
6th Nov 2002, 01:10
MightyGem,

Some of us contract police pilots can only dream of starting on 33K - 30K in my case which went up this year to 31.

Still, the shifts mean its effectively only 5 months duty per year, its more fun than real work and I get to play with something far more modern than Her Majesty ever let me use.

offshoreigor
6th Nov 2002, 09:02
TheRain God, interesting handle.

For Canadian Companies (good ones):

International

FO: 2000 hrs 6 on 6 off, $50-55K/anum
IFR Capt 3000 hrs 6 on 6 off, 55-60K/anum
Offshore Capt 4000 Hrs 6 on 6 off, 60-75K/anum
Offshore Capt/Trg Capt 5000 hrs 6 on 6 off, 75-95K/anum

All figures in CAD 80% Tax free.

Cheers :eek: OffshoreIgor :eek:

Thomas coupling
6th Nov 2002, 09:49
Bladestrike, your maths don't make sense:confused:

$90,000CDN = £40,000 (£27,000 after tax) = $40,000 american after tax!

Concur?

theraingod
6th Nov 2002, 12:04
thud_andBlunder are you talking in USD or pounds? US or UK police? - as you are in the M5 area.

So after spending the odd dollar/pound and then doing a year and half instruction reaching 1000- 1300 hours, what is the next step after that? (Apart from FO at 2000 hours suggested by offshoreigor)

Are there many jobs that would take you on at the stage?

At what point do the Helicopter company’s start to take you seriously?

Bladestrike
6th Nov 2002, 12:59
......a feeble attempt at humour, Thomas. I'll refrain in the future.

discobeast
6th Nov 2002, 18:14
bladestrike
:D

Thomas coupling
7th Nov 2002, 14:53
duh! Sorry Bladestrike - bit slow there wasn't I:rolleyes:

MightyGem
7th Nov 2002, 19:10
Thud, sent you a private message.

MG

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Nov 2002, 21:46
Raingod,

All figures in UK quid.

Ta everybody for all the private messages - I assure you the figures are true. It's just as well I work on such a fantastic unit - OK, J d'P? :D

(PS having a pension from 27+ years in HM Forces does help keep the wolf from the door, but I gather it upsets some people when this is mentioned...)

theraingod
11th Nov 2002, 13:38
That the bit I am worried about. (retirement)

Is it common to have some other kind of income during your time off?

john du'pruyting
11th Nov 2002, 19:39
Helinut is correct. Most police units require 500 hr's twin as well as the requirements Mightygem laid down. These are based on recommendations from the Home Office. Units can set their own less rigid criteria, this is unlikely however because should an incident occur involving a less experienced pilot, someone will have to take the rap for going against HO recommendations. The consequence of this is that most pilots coming into Police work in the UK are ex-mil, because of course, they haven't had to pay for all those hours with their hard earned beer coupons. (just blood, sweat, tears, duties, hair, bulls**t, yadder,...,yadder).
You got a mil pension then Thud?:p
So have I.....when I get to 60:rolleyes: lend us a fiver
and TC, you were slow, thats unlike you....been on leave?;)

arm the floats
14th Nov 2002, 11:55
Slingloading- Scottish Highlands

Basic salary- £40,500
Company vehicle:
Bonus scheme:
If 4 hrs or more flying in a day then £30 bonus.
You can work a day off and recieve a days pay as a bonus.

No pension scheme.
Roster 5 on 2 off.

6 weeks holiday a year.
My total hrs are 3500,mix of twin ,single.

theraingod
14th Nov 2002, 15:49
thanks john du'pruyting and arm the floats, just kind of nice to know what is out there, before jumping.

arm the floats, how many hours did you have before when going for the job?

arm the floats
17th Nov 2002, 13:05
I had over 2000 hrs on application to this job.Its unlikely they'd look at anyone with less than 1500 hrs.