PDA

View Full Version : Foreign language...an advantage??

Speedbird744
18th Mar 2001, 04:00
When applying for the major airline sponsorship schemes,is being fluent in a modern language such as German a real bonus point?
Is it just an advantage for cabin crew? Because I've never heard in WANNABEES, anyone worry about having another language under their belt.
Surely if you are flying around Europe on shorthaul routes it WILL be a major advantage???
Thanks

TipTop
18th Mar 2001, 05:28
I couldn't see why it wouldn't be a very good qualification to have. Most application forms I have completed have a box for 'Foreign languages spoken' or something similar.
Someone who has taken the time to learn another language, most probably will be a good communicator. This personal attribute is one of the most important ability to possess in a multi-crew environment.
Well that's my opinion......
Very good subject, something I myself have thought about. Unfortunately I do not speak another language. I think I will reevaluate myself and take my own advice!

RupertD
18th Mar 2001, 05:33
Funny this has come up...

I'm a second year Spanish student at Exeter University. I'm doing Spanish because it might give me a helping hand (though I'm banking on the PPL doing the trick) when I apply for jobs. If a Spanish airline has an interest in the UK, I'm sure I'll be top dog for the job if I get a degree in the language.

I reckon any European language is helpful because it puts you on top of a lot of people in the queue for BA sponsorship! At least it does in my head!

------------------
----------------------
DJ @ 87.7 Xpression FM
Pilot @ Exeter Airport...

Deck-Cam
19th Mar 2001, 11:56
Sure does help. I got a job based on the fact I could speak Australian.

EDDNR
19th Mar 2001, 17:14
I got into BA because I spoke the language of the Empire. Why bother learning any others? If you need to speak to Johnny Foreigner, just raise your voice, the little beggar will soon understand you old chap.

Rod

BigTimeWannabe
19th Mar 2001, 17:47
EDDNR,

Firstly, you're a f**king idiot!!! Just wanted to get that off my chest!

You have the same metallity as those arrogant pricks who built the ex-Empire. Wherever you went you refused to learn local languages. Simply because you thought you were above the system. Maybe that was the case 70 years ago. But things have changed, and some people in Britain has realised the importance of being able to speak another language. You are obviously not on eof them!

I particularly enjoyed you so politely calling people who are not English "little beggers." I for one fall under your "little beggers" catagory. You should try walking around London and telling people they are "little beggers" because they are not English. Let's see how well you will be recieved there?

I hope you will rephrase what you said on this thread and hang your head in shame!

BTW

Pelican
19th Mar 2001, 18:52
I think you will find that EDDNR was speaking tongue in cheek there, BigTimeWannabee. Or else he was winding you up (and didn't it work well...)

long final
19th Mar 2001, 19:49
BTW
Quote :

'Firstly, you're a f**king idiot!!!'

Mr Kettle and Mr Pot? Ignorance and language?

A little more :) needed!

Edited because I couldnt spell to save my life

[This message has been edited by long final (edited 19 March 2001).]

JJflyer
19th Mar 2001, 20:30
From my experience a fluency of French and Spanish should be a requirment for flights into French and Spanish airspace :)

In reality I really didn't have an option as English is the aviation language of the world ( yeah I know, you Frenchies disagree )
and my mother tongue belongs to the Fenno-ugrian language group. In other words it is unintelligable. I was required to speak both domestic official languages and was tested for fluency in the military. I also studied German for over 6 years, but if you don't use it you'll lose it.

JJ

GearUp CheerUp
20th Mar 2001, 02:05
Hi this is my very first posting to this forum but I thought it was worth replying to this.

When I got my first commercial flying post a couple of years ago the company semed interested that I was a fluent German speaker but as a pilot they would not pay mr the language supplement that they pay to our cabin crew. I do, however find it useful on German and Swiss trips and even do PAs in German as I belive it projects a better image of the company to our customers.

kestrel99
20th Mar 2001, 02:43
I have to agree that speaking another language is an advantage when applying for sponsorships, or further down the line, commercial flying posts. When there are so many applicants for these positions being fluent in another major European language is undoubtedly beneficial. I certainly believe it cave me the edge to be successful and achieve what I wanted. As someone who is fluent in Italian I would like to think that those who have taken the time to learn another language should be rewarded for their efforts.

[This message has been edited by kestrel99 (edited 20 March 2001).]

Pete O'Heater
20th Mar 2001, 13:29
Everyone on this forum obviously needs a degree in GIBBERISH! :)

EDDNR
15th Apr 2001, 21:22
Thanks Pelican! One thing the Brits have is a fiendish sense of humour our continental cousins often fail to see.

Rod

Brakes...beer
15th Apr 2001, 23:38
I did French and German at University, and sometimes do PAs with them, but I should think it's the least important factor possible on a job application for a pilot - seriously.

But on nightstops, that's another matter!