PDA

View Full Version : THAI baggage changeover at BKK

PhilD
4th Nov 2002, 16:34
I'm on a TH flight to Beijing later this week, with a 5 hour stop and change of plane (also TH) in Bangkok. Being a bit paranoid about my baggage going astray, I wonder if anyone has any views about the reliability of the baggage services at BKK and if the chances of one or more bags going missing are any more or less than a comparable flight in Europe

rsoman
4th Nov 2002, 17:36
You should not have a problem as the stopover is long enough (5 hours). I havent transitted via BKK, but as far as I know Thai seems to handle the entire airport services there (and not just for TG alone) as the check in on both my trips from there (On Malaysian and Indian Airlines) were handled by TG.The only problem you may face is that if your flight runs late by say 4 hours in which case you might make the flight but the bags might have to be sent on. But 5 hours is a very long connection .

Make sure that the counter staff at your starting station check your baggage through and also to the correct destination.
My bag was was once wrongly tagged to Nueremberg(NUE) on LH instead of Nice (NCE) although I fortunately noticed it before the bag was put on the carousel.

Cheers
TK

No longer ATC
6th Nov 2002, 15:10
Phil...as an ex Big-airways lost baggage girl, I would'nt worry unduly as 5 hrs is a long xfer time. Depending on the baggage system TG use, if you pester them at BKK they should be able to confirm exactly where your bags are .. if they have a decent tracking system that is! Best tips as usual, clearly name your bags, no old bag tags for pose value please and a strap round the outside for added security. Best of luck... bon voyage!

PilotsPal
6th Nov 2002, 15:38
I've travelled through BKK on many occasions, sometimes with tight-ish transfers, but have never had a bag delayed/mislaid.

PhilD
6th Nov 2002, 18:12
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm off tomorrow to trust my worldly possesions (well .... holiday bags) to the tender care of the BKK baggage handlers. I'll report back......

B777TST
11th Nov 2002, 10:48
As living most time here in the East, do always lock and put extra straps around your baggage, do you have transit in BKK during the night, you can expect some pilferage from your baggage.

reynoldsno1
11th Nov 2002, 21:32
Have been in & out & through BKK more times than I can remember and I have never had any problem

Squiddley
13th Nov 2002, 03:46
I too have been through BKK many times, and have not had a single incident of pilferage or loss (or anywhere else for that matter). I'll go further and say that it's unreasonable to suggest that a night-time transit in BKK would mean pilferage is inevitable.

Lost/damaged baggage can strike at any time, as can pilferage - irrespective of the location/system. granted, some places have a higher likelihood than others :(

It still amazes me the number of claims fo "pilfered" items including cash, watches, jewellery, passports! etc. Common sense says don't leave anything you value in your checked baggage, that you can't keep on your person. Always buy a decent padlock and throw away the free one that came with your snazzy case. Use a sturdy strap too, not matter how "world-proof" your bags are claimed to be.

TAGS do all airport handling, and with the terminal expansion underway, it looks a bit chaotic. Don't worry though!

PhilD
26th Nov 2002, 07:10
Thanks for the reassurance - I'm delighted to report that the BKK baggage handlers did a great job and the cases turned up on schedule on the baggage reclaim at PEK.