PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2002 Authentication?

Ella Valet
4th Nov 2002, 16:15
Just installed Office 2002 inc Outlook. Copied settings (POP3, SMTP etc) from Outlook Express which worked and still works fine on the same machine. Outlook is set as default mail program. Can receive in Outlook, but more often than not can't send (it's erratic, 19 times out of 20 doesn't work, occasionally does work), error message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 04/11/2002 19:57

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'test@xxxxxxx' on 04/11/2002 19:57
473 test@xxxxxxx relaying prohibited. You should authenticate first

Address being sent to makes no difference.

P4 2GHz 512 MB RAM, Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 SP1, IE6.0 SP1, Outlook 2002 v10.0 build 2627, fixed ISP over ADSL line.

Any ideas?

ev=)

What_does_this_button_do?
4th Nov 2002, 18:58
"Borrowed from Microsoft"....

SYMPTOMS
When you send messages you, may receive an error message that your message cannot be sent due to Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) relay blocking. The exact error message may vary, depending on your Internet service provider (ISP). However, it is similar to the following error message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '<[email protected]>'. Subject: '<Test>', Account: '<Test>', Server: '<smtp.microsoft.com>', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 <[email protected]>... Relaying Denied', Port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you have one of the following configurations:

You are logged on to a Local Area Network (LAN) that has an Internet gateway and you attempt to send messages through an ISP's SMTP gateway.
You are logged on to an ISP and you attempt to send messages through another ISP's SMTP gateway.
You are using a cable modem or ADSL to get to another ISP and you attempt to send messages.

This behavior affects all messaging clients, regardless of the manufacturer.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, you should contact your ISP for assistance because the e-mail client does not cause this behavior. From a messaging client standpoint, there are no solutions for customers who have ISP's that block all SMTP Relay traffic.

Most of the new SMTP e-mail gateway software allows relaying for specific IP addresses. This is how cable modem and ADSL users are able to continue to use their same ISP. The cable modem or ADSL provider must provide the customer a static IP address, in turn, the customer's e-mail ISP allows relaying for that specific IP address. Banks of IP addresses can also be allowed, which may provide a work around for some corporate customers who access ISP's through their corporate LAN.

If the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article is random, it is possible that your SMTP server is checking whether the domain or the recipient name actually exists before sending the message. If the recipient's e-mail server is temporarily down or unavailable for another reason, such as high network volume, your SMTP server cannot verify the address and may reject the relay. In this case, action is not required. The message is sent when the receiving server is available again.

MORE INFORMATION
This behavior may become more common as ISP's begin to take action against SPAM messages. SPAM is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message in an attempt to send the message to people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most SPAM messages use an automated system to send commercial advertising, or mass marketing messages. SPAM costs the sender very little to send; most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the e-mail providers.

Some ISP's are fighting SPAM by requiring each user to be dialed directly into their system in order to send messages through their SMTP gateway. This is an easy way to control SPAM, but may affect some users who tunnel into their e-mail account from another ISP.

MSN, the Microsoft Network, is one example of an ISP that has imposed SPAM blocking. Additionally, MSN has imposed restrictions whereby if the e-mail address in your Internet Account properties does not match that of your MSN account, you may also receive SMTP blocking errors. This affects users who receive messages with two different Internet addresses, but that want the same reply address on both e-mail accounts. Other ISP's implement similar strategies.

In order to send or receive messages through a LAN, additional ISP or DSL and similar connection devices through MSN, the SMTP server settings must be set to secure.

MSN e-mail server settings for a LAN, DSL or third party connection should be set to secure.smtp.email.msn.com.
Examples of SMTP Relay Blocking

Employees have personal ISP accounts at isp.com where isp.com is your Service Provider's domain name. They use the company's corporate LAN to access their isp.com messages, and they have any problems sending or receiving. One day they start receiving SMTP blocking errors when they try to reply to messages that they have received from isp.com. They contact isp.com technical support and are told that isp.com just installed new SMTP gateway software which prevents SMTP relaying. Now the employees can receive messages through the LAN, but cannot send messages because they're not connected directly to isp.com.
A user has two ISP accounts, one with isp.com and one with myisp.net, where isp.com and myisp.net are the Service Providers' domain names. The user dials into myisp.net and can send and receive messages from both accounts without problems. One day the user connects to myisp.net and tries to send messages through isp.com and receives blocking errors. The user connects directly to isp.com and can still send and receive messages with both accounts. In this example, isp.com implemented SMTP relay blocking and myisp.net did not.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, enable Outlook 2002 to send Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) messages. First, you must configure your POP3 account. To do this:
Start Outlook.
Click Tools, and then click E-mail Accounts.
Click to select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
Double-click your account to access its properties.
Under Logon Information, type User Name.
Click to select the Remember Password check box, and then type Your Password.
Click the More Settings button.
On the Outgoing Server tab, click to select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
Click to select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
Click OK.
Click Next, and then click Finish.

Ella Valet
5th Nov 2002, 04:55
WDTBD many thanks for your reply, I had searched PPrune & Microsoft but didn't find this article. That certainly sounds like my problem, however...

I'm not logged on to a LAN, I'm not trying to send through another ISP's SMTP gateway, I am using ADSL but not to get to another ISP, my ISP does not block all SMTP Relay traffic, I have a static IP address, the error message isn't random (it's always the same). I tried the resolution mentioned (select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication) but it didn't help.

Problem "solved" by going back to Outlook Express, which still works fine, guess I'll live without Calendar.

Thanks again
-ev-

CrashDive
5th Nov 2002, 08:14
Whilst I'm likely to be stating the obvious, but I imagine that you've contacted your ISP and confirmed the name and / or IP addresses of their SMTP and POP3 servers ?

I.e. They're not always the same and or you might find that they can direct you to an alternative SMTP server in their domain. It's worth a try.

Now I'm not sure why OLE would work where OL does not but, as WDTBD wrote above, ( in simple terms ) 'relaying' is where you're email client program trys to send an email through a server which does not belong to your ISP.

E.g. Imagine that you're logged on to your ISP ( say, BTOpenWorld ), what you'd expect to see for your pop3 and smtp settings would be something like:

POP3: www.pop3.btinternet
SMTP: www.smtp.btinternet

or sometimes -

POP3: relay.btinternet.com
SMTP: relay.btinternet.com

whatever.....

Now in Outlook you can certainly specify more than one 'Internet Email' account, e.g. for when you're retrieving emails from more than one ISP ( e.g. maybe from BTOpenWorld and also from Free-OnLine), but I would suggest that if you do that you ensure that the SMTP server that's specified for each Internet email account always points to the one that's relevant to the ISP to whom you are connected.

I.e. If you're connected to BTOpenWorld then the smtp server for your BtOpenWorld Inernet Email account should be set to (say) relay.btinternet.com.
BUT if you had another Internet Email account specified ( e.g. Free-OnLine ) then that must also use the same smtp as the BTOpenWorld account.

E.g. If looking in the 'services' properties page and for the 'properties' of each Internet Email account you should expect to have set something as follows for the 'Servers':

Internet Email BTOpenWOrld

POP3: relay.btinternet.com

Internet Email Free-OnLine

POP3: pop3.free-online.net

One other thing that might cause the SMTP relay problem could be the 'Delivery' settings in Outlook, i.e. if you've got more than one 'Internet Email' account specified then you need to ensure that the one at the top of the delivery list ( i.e. in the larger of the two boxes, under where it says 'Recipient addresses are processed by these information services in the following order:' ) is the one relevant to the ISP to whom you are connected, e.g. in the above example BTOpenWorld would be above Free-OnLine. Nb. I have suffered that little 'gotcha' myself !

Of course if on your travels you connect to more than one ISP then you should use the 'Profiles' option of Outlook ( Nb. you can only get to this from Start / Settings / Control Panel / Mail ) to specify multiple profiles for the differing ISP connections ( and their associated smtp server & delivery requirements ).

Finally, whilst the above I'm sure seems overly long winded and verbose it's really pretty straightforward once you know your way around it - sort of.

Ella Valet
5th Nov 2002, 16:15
Crash thanks for the info: yep, confirmed SMTP & POP3 server names with ISP, for the rest their helpdesk was... well... more desk than help. I do indeed use other ISP's on my travels (with my W98 laptop, accessing my mail via webmail), but the machine in question is my home XP desktop, with only one account defined. I'm not sure either why OLE works and OL doesn't.

I assume that the relaying in question is outbound from my ISP, if I send a mail to myself it works fine. Also the [Test Email Settings] on the "Internet EMail Settings (POP3)" screen works fine every time.

Hold the phone... on the same screen, [More Settings] which I went to before [Outgoing Server] tab to say that my SMTP server requires authentication, for some reason under [Connection] tab I have "Connect using my Local Area Network (LAN)" selected. Change to "Connect using my phone line" and the problem is resolved? OK for a couple of test messages, so we'll see.

Assuming that fixed it, thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. I consider myself reasonably IT literate at least as far as your average aviator goes, but some of these options are buried pretty deep, and the error messages don't help much.

Maybe I'll have Calendar after all.

-ev-