PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to hour build?

Tarmach
18th Mar 2001, 02:03
Where is the best place to hour build? Taking into account weather and cost?

herniair
18th Mar 2001, 02:46
PPRuNE

redsnail
18th Mar 2001, 03:21
Have a look at Australia. With the way our $ is plummeting it should be quite cheap.
At the moment, 1 pound buys 3 Aus $'s.
Coming into our winter and the wx is usually quite stable (ie good) in the north. Not very cold either. For some "weather" head south, you'll get snow/ice/low cloud to play with. South in summer is better. Having said that, if you get the timing right, south in winter is pretty good too. ie fantastic viz, light winds, no thunderies.
If you need more info, post in Dunnunda, someone should be able to help. Or use our yellow pages online and have a look.
cheers

TipTop
18th Mar 2001, 05:38
You can buy block hours in a Florida school or anywhere else in the USA. I still think the USA is the cheapest option. Flying in the states is also very much fun.
However, if you do fly in the states, make sure the flying school/club stamps your logbook and you keep the receipts for the flying!
I personally would love to fly in Australia!

redsnail
18th Mar 2001, 07:24
I have over 4500 hours flying all over Oz. The reason for the sad face is I am leaving here tomorrow (Mon) for the UK and my $ doesn't buy me many pounds!!

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Jim lovell
18th Mar 2001, 13:58
Oz is a great place to hour build. Especially for foreign guys converting their currency to ours. Depending on what type of a/c you're after and where you hire it from the rates vary significantly. Average PA-28/172/TB-10 per hour approx $155 dual and $125-$135 an hour solo. As far as the weather goes it is good. Even winter is ok-not much snow etc. Adelaide/Sydney/Perth are good for hour building due to reasonable weather year-round!

N.P.H
18th Mar 2001, 14:35
Can anybody recommend anywhere to rent a plane, in or around the Sydney area?

I am going over there for a couple of weeks at the beginning of November and want to rent a 4 seater for the duration to do as much flying as possible. Also any suggestions on places to fly to would be appreciated.
Cheers
Neil

ozymick
19th Mar 2001, 06:45
No question about it, Australia is by far the cheapest place to hour build with the best chance of getting good weather. Personally Western Australia is my choice. Singapore Airlines and China Southern Airlines both train their pilots there. I know of one training centre where a two year old Cessna 172R model can be hired for $109 Aussie dollars an hour private hire, around £40 sterling!!

429 CJ
19th Mar 2001, 10:39
As an member from the land of OZ, having read pprune for a long while, but only recently registering, I personally would love to see anyone come 'down here' for some hour building!
Can recommend a few schools for ya around the Sydney area if you're interested!
Reddo, I dunno what happened to ya mate (mam) but I sure hope ya come back soon!
Cheers all!!!

------------------
'Gravity' is just a myth that the earth sux.....anon.. (or was I just drunk again?)

Lard Beast
19th Mar 2001, 12:12
South Africa also a good option with aircraft rental starting at about 30 Pounds per hour. Good variation of flying conditions from hot and high to thundershowers and rain for REAL instrument time. Plenty of game parks where you can fly in if you so desire as well as some great resorts. Block hours also no problem. Contact me on [email protected] for more information. The current exchange rate is about 11.5 Rand to the Pound so very cheap to live here (six pints of beer and a steak for 6 Pounds).

LGL737
19th Mar 2001, 12:38
Who wants to fly into a thunderstorm to get REAL instrument time, personally I would choose to fly round it.

LGL737