PDA

View Full Version : Need new computer - but WHAT???

Carrier
4th Nov 2002, 00:06
After seven years with an early Power Mac I now intend to buy a new computer. I would prefer to stay with Mac but am open to changing if that is the only option to meet my requirements listed below. Obviously the new machine will need to be fast, with fast graphics capability and with a large hard drive. Am I looking for the impossible or does such a consumer computer exist? If so, I would like to know what make and model it is and where I can obtain it. I look forward to your advice. Thanks.

1. Flight simulator for IFR procedure practice and to check approaches at new airports. worldwide - prefer Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 or X-Plane - not sure which.

2. Pilot logbook application.

3. Aviation GPS database/operating software updating, preferably for Lowrance Airmap100.

4. Internet telephony using PGPfone (and ICQ?).

5. Pfaff computer sewing machine software.

6. Word processing, spreadsheet, database and paint/presentation suite.

7. Back up - on to reusable medium.

8. Internet research/downloading.

9. Email with PGP

10. Business accounting software - MYOB?

11. Converting TV signals NTSC to PAL and vice versa for family video tapes, etc.

12. Able to function as a PAL or NTSC TV in all PAL and NTSC countries.

13. Train driving simulator - prefer BVE.

14. LCD monitor, prefer 17" minimum for flight simulator instrument clarity.

15. Attachments that it must easily connect to and operate with:

scanner printer(s) CH Products Control Yoke & Pro Pedals digital camera digital camcorder NTSC and PAL TV/VCR sewing machine headset (aviation?) microphone (built in?) GPS

16. Light weight, small size, dual voltage and well packaged for portability and international use.

17. All aspects of the computer, software and hardware, must function worldwide and be supported worldwide - eg the DVD drive must not be region restricted and must fully function with both PAL and NTSC discs.

18. Must include system discs capable of standard/clean reinstall without erasing other data and discs for all other software supplied with the computer.

19. Reliable, stable and, for practical purposes, invisible operating system.

ORAC
4th Nov 2002, 16:17
If you can tear yourself away from a MAC, might I suggest a Shuttle SS-51G?. You can add the LCD monitor of your choice. You can ask here and someone will point you at a DVD that is not hardware locked, or if it is, one that can be flashed to remove the block.

Shuttle Review (http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020815/index.html)

It has Firewire, so all the standard video cameras etc can be connected directly, and it has USB for everything else. For your TV requirements, might I suggest an external USB Hauppauge unit, the WinTV-PVR-usb. If you look at the manual, you'll see it handles NTSC, all the PAL variants and also recording. It retails for about $200.

Manual (http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/qi-pvrusb-v12-eng.pdf)

bughunta
6th Nov 2002, 23:16
Well, you could start with one of these...
http://www.computergear.com/cowmonitormate.html
:D :D :D

bug

Carrier
10th Nov 2002, 13:59
ORAC, thanks for the post on the Shuttle computer. I had not heard of it. It is most impressive how they have put so much power and flexibility in such a small package. Yes, I considered the Mac but others I am also looking at are the Sleekline Systems and the Alienware Area 51M. All have their advantages and disadvantages so I have some thinking and deciding to do. On balance the Shuttle would seem to offer the most performance and flexibility in a small package, so I really do appreciate your bringing it to my attention.