PDA

View Full Version : Win 98 problem

flybhx
3rd Nov 2002, 18:01
I have been trying to get a colleague connected to the net. She has a Compaq AMD-K6-300 with internal modem and 44MB RAM.

The modem connects to the isp but after a minute or so cuts out and reboots the system. Any thoughts on where to look for the problem

RadarContact
3rd Nov 2002, 19:01
Many thoughts...too many actually.

Does her puter black out during the connecting process or after the connection has been established?

Has this ever happened before trying to connect to this ISP?

flybhx
3rd Nov 2002, 19:15
The computer dies 30 seconds to a minute after connection. A number of friends use the same ISP without problems. I did suspect a conflict somewhere but there is nothing obvious in device manager.

bughunta
3rd Nov 2002, 21:13
Can't see it being a problem with the modem. They usual either work or dont; if its dialled up and made the connection then its done its job, and is likely working. As already requested, had this happened before ever trying to connect to internet?

Internal or external modem? If internal, did you recently fit it? If so try to seat it as far apart from the sound card as possible. Conflicts arising from a sound card next to a modem are common.

I would be more inclined to look at the ISP, the phone connection, connection properties, etc. before a broken modem...

flybhx
3rd Nov 2002, 21:29
Prior to trying to connect to the internet everything worked fine and, in fact, still does. It is just this one circumstance when it plays up.

The modem was pre-installed before she had the system

Mac the Knife
4th Nov 2002, 18:03
Very likely the internal WinModem (filthy things)
Try deinstalling and reinstalling the modem software.
Try it with a real serial modem

flybhx
4th Nov 2002, 18:59
Thanks for that one I'll see if I've got one for her in the spares case and try that.

BRL
4th Nov 2002, 22:15
As a last resort, tell her to try broadband if she can get it in her area. Simple plug-in USB modem and dead easy to install. It has absolutly nothing to do with the internal modem if indeed that is the problem/conflict.

flybhx
4th Nov 2002, 22:28
We do have broadband here. Telewest do both 512K and 1MB versions. I was trying to lead her in gently as she is computer illiterate!!.

I use the 1MB broadband though and can vouch for its efficiency and reliability