PDA

View Full Version : Picture Download Problem - Please Help!

Griffbms
3rd Nov 2002, 15:35
Can anyone help? I'm a computer novice by some standards so it is very likely that I am missing something obvious unless there is a more complex explanation !

I am using Windows XP and AOL for Web browsing & email.
When I try to download or rather to 'Save a JPG/JPEG picture' from an unrestricted or non- encrypted page, I am only offered a choice of saving the item as either an 'ART' file or 'Bitmap' image in the bottom of the 'Folder window'.

Once saved as an ART file (The only other option seemingly available), it's icon and properties remain as JPEG etc and should be available for viewing via the 'Windows Fax and Picture Viewer'.
Instead a 'no preview available' message is displayed against the normal JPEG picture viewer.

If anyone has any solution then I'd be very grateful for your advice.

Many thanks.

Griffbms.

What_does_this_button_do?
3rd Nov 2002, 15:58
The problem you have is your ISP and there alledged "browser". AOL/Compuserve use there bespoke file format .ART - this stinks!

If you use Netscape/IE then you won't have this problem (and yes you can use these with AOL).

B

rob_frost
3rd Nov 2002, 17:48
I had that problem ( I don't use AOL though ), and it would only save as a .bmp in IE. Turned out my temporary internet folder was full.

Griffbms
4th Nov 2002, 18:55
"what_does_this_button_do?" and "rob_frost"

Thanks for the help Guys!

I've started "re-routing" via MSIE and cleared the temp folder for good measure as you advised. So far it has worked fine.

Incidentally, beforehand with AOL I was receiving regular "Java-Script" error messages and partially reproduced pages on certain web-sites, this has also been cured too.

Cheers and thanks again !

Griffbms