PDA

View Full Version : BA Cadet entry req

AP
18th Mar 2001, 00:40
I know that BA ask for 2 A levels for the cadet scheme but do they accept 2 AS levels as an A level?

Speedy G
18th Mar 2001, 02:31
Two AS levels in the same subject qualify as an a-level yes. The exam board should have told you this and sent you a certificate saying that. having passed two as-levels that you now have a full a-level in that subject.

AS levels were origonally designed so that an a-level could be split into two manageable halves. But on your BA form put them down as a full a-level, as putting down that it was made of two as-levels only tells them the structure of the course you did which doesn't really matter (Aa long as you have another a-level to make the required two)

Good luck

Speed

[This message has been edited by Speedy G (edited 17 March 2001).]

SpeedBird22
18th Mar 2001, 02:37
Speedy G,

You're right that two AS's in the same subject equal an A level in that subject.

Also two AS levels in different subjects also equal an A level although obviously not in a single subject.

For example, my subjects were :
A-Level law
A-Level english
AS-Level sociology and
AS-Level general studies.
On application forms and if anyone asks, I say I have three A-levels....

Did that make sense??

Happy Flying,

:) :) SpeedBird22 :) :)

AP
19th Mar 2001, 01:29
So if i went to BA and said i have the following,
A Level computer science
A Level General studies
AS Level physics
AS Level maths
AS Level business studies
would they accept me?

Lucifer
19th Mar 2001, 01:42
It depends on far more than academic grades as to whether or not you are accepted.

Pandora
19th Mar 2001, 01:48
Please stop obsessing about exam results. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and all the airlines sponsoring cadets know this. Get exam results in something, but make sure whatever it is you do in you're spare time is something you are really good at (just so long as it isn't torching cars or terrorising old ladies or something like that).
Lucifer's advice is good advice.

AP
19th Mar 2001, 02:03
By saying would they accept me i didn't mean onto the scheme i meant would i get passed the first stage as it states you need 2 A levels excluding General studies my point is that if someone hasn't got 2 A levels but has 1 A level and some AS levels would that be acceptable.

Speedbird 2946
19th Mar 2001, 03:12
AP to out it simply no. Minimum requirements are MINIMUM requirements, and this is one of many methods of cutting down the considerable number of applicants. Many people get bogged down in exam grades but there is no need. Get better than the minimum grades! Why not? Don't ever forget that BA have many applicants with very high exam grades, so study hard but make sure that you have more to say for yourself than that.. sports, hobbies, voluntary work, a bit of 'life experience' if you will pardon the cliche and some aviation experience will do you well.

Good Luck!

SB

SpeedBird22
19th Mar 2001, 12:05
AP - I think you DO meet the minimum requirements. Excluding general studies, you have the A level in computer science, then two AS's in very academic subjects...that adds up to 2 and a half A-Levels. I've got through to the aptitude tests with a similar looking results. In my view you should be OK.

Pandora - Yup exam grades are exam grades but you've gotta know the situation if you want to stop worrting about them and get on with expanding your experience elsewhere.

Happy Flying,

:) :) SpeedBird22 :) :)