PDA

View Full Version : Posh Spice nearly kidnapped

rob_frost
2nd Nov 2002, 20:06
Am I the only one who is disappointed they didn't succeed? Her songs were awful. (naturally I wouldn't have wanted them to get hurt)

USE THE RUDDERS
2nd Nov 2002, 21:11
Is she due to release a new record and needs some publicity

or is Becks about to reveal a new hairdo.

It's worthy of its own soap opera.

Unwell_Raptor
2nd Nov 2002, 21:15
Too cynical. If you look at the story on BBC News, it isn't a bit funny.

Loki
2nd Nov 2002, 21:54
Why is she called "Posh"? Anyone?

Carry0nLuggage
2nd Nov 2002, 22:10
QUOTE]Why is she called "Posh"? Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Because the alternatives were Thick or Dim.

NoSurrender
2nd Nov 2002, 22:15
Well it's good to see that the Albanian mafia have their feet well and truly under the table.
Sadly, Enoch is proved right once again.:mad:

DuckDogers
3rd Nov 2002, 11:43
My question is this, would any body either actually have noticed or cared she'd been kidnapped? Just as well she didn't because i do not think i could stand watching the news if they had been successful!!!

Kalium Chloride
3rd Nov 2002, 13:50
They'd have had to pay me at least 5m to take her back. :D

Unwell_Raptor
3rd Nov 2002, 14:55
Sorry, men, this is too frivolous by far. If gangsters start kidnapping anyone who looks to be rich, and who seems likely to pay up, thousands of people will have their lives wrecked.

Let's wait for the police to do their job, and let's be grateful that it wasn't any of our relatives involved.

If this kind of thing spreads, pilots will be well up there in front, since the masses percieve them to be wealthy.

As I said, it isn't funny.

ducksoup
3rd Nov 2002, 15:23
Illegal,
With you all the way. This ain't funny and smart-arsed comments don't really fit this one.

SLF
3rd Nov 2002, 15:43
Lighten up guys, this is Jet Blast!

I agree that kidnapping is extremely serious, but their choice of victim does leave a little room for levity.

Scudhunter
3rd Nov 2002, 16:10
If this kind of thing spreads, pilots will be well up there in front, since the masses percieve them to be wealthy.

You wish... :rolleyes:

If you want the kudos of being "on the front line" then I suggest you go and do a job where you're genuinely at risk -- like being a journalist. You're far more likely to be kidnapped in this world as a reporter.

tony draper
3rd Nov 2002, 16:15
Well I'm all for journalists getting kidnapped. ;)

You want it when?
3rd Nov 2002, 17:05
At a conference last year where Kate Adie was the keynote speaker she said that since the improvments in technology and communication etc.. something like 50+ journos have been killed or injured reporting from war zones.

Silly people.

On topic - I hope the rats who tried the kidnapping get caught and castrated, if their female then hysterectomys (lousy spelling). Posh is not my favourite singer by a long way but no one deserves to be in fear that way. The sooner they are caught and punished the better.

Anthony Carn
3rd Nov 2002, 18:38
In a recent TV news summary a comment was made that "kidnapping is part of their culture" (referring to Albanians)! :confused:

tony draper
3rd Nov 2002, 19:10
Yeh they got a grant from the EU to retrain all the pickpockets.
:rolleyes:

jonathang
3rd Nov 2002, 20:23
Why did I never think of that? :)

David could have been paying for my ATPL :)

Eric
3rd Nov 2002, 23:38
I get p!ssed off with the slagging that the Beckhams get.

If you stuck the majority of people under a microscope and expected them to be wise and witty, few would cope.

Why is it that a couple of people, who in their own field have managed to earn a few quid, are suddenly expected to be masterminds?

They're normal.

Let them be.

angels
4th Nov 2002, 07:20
Have to agree with Eric and Unwell Raptor.

I've no interest in Victoria Beckham's songs, or in Manchester United (except when the Addicks play them). But whatever you think of the couple, fame and fortune seems to have also brought them a degree of fear, which is surely sad.

BTW, the reason she's called Posh is that that was her nickname at school. Her dad used to drop her off at the gates in his Roller.

MarkD
4th Nov 2002, 16:18
According to "United We Stand", the latest Scottish beer ad goes:

"you don't have to be posh to swallow Becks".

Excellent...

Big G.
4th Nov 2002, 19:04
I've heard it all now. Journos working on the "front line"!!

Give me a break, pack your bags we're going on an ego trip.

Please, can we have some reality? Sorry, what this post all about again? Lost track. Still laffing.

Big G.

Cuddles
4th Nov 2002, 19:10
Wouldn't they have been wiser in choosing a victim whose husband could have read the ransom note?:D

rob_frost
4th Nov 2002, 19:18
I don't understand the fuss about it anyway. If she was kidnapped, all she'd have to do is sing. The kidnappers be back in Albania within a few hours.

Mind you, she probably wouldn't think of that.

Unwell_Raptor
4th Nov 2002, 19:26
Dear God! How bitchy can we get?

The Beckhams are famous and to some they are role models.

They are married - to all appearances happily so.

They have two children, born in wedlock, to whom they appear to be devoted.

Every penny they have they have earned - no lottery wins or inheritances.

They have never been seen to get drunk or do drugs.

Victoria is a middling pop singer, not much better or worse than many others.

David is one of the world's top footballers, and his fame in the UK is entirely eclipsed by the adoration he engenders abroad.

And yet people feel free to sneer at them. What revolting snobbery.

What role model do you prefer? The Royal Family lose out badly by comparison with the Beckhams. So do most so-called stars. Michael Jackson? Mick Jagger? Angus Deayton?

My money is on the Beckhams, whatever their IQs might be.

Eric
4th Nov 2002, 20:01
Right with you Illegal,

They seem to be as normal a couple as you can get these days, they happen to earn millions but keep their feet on the ground.

Neutral99 says They're the most greedy, money-grabbing, self-publicising couple I've seen in my life
Have you not seen the Hamiltons, the Finnegans, or the Archers?

I'm not saying they're the best of all things but they're a damn sight better than most

FlyingForFun
5th Nov 2002, 09:46
I have to agree with Eric on this one.

The Beckhams may not be the most intelligent people in the world. I am not a Manchester United fan, although I appreciate David's efforts for England. And although I didn't dis-like the Spice Girls, Victoria was not my favourite of them. But that doesn't justify the abuse they get.

The people I've spoken to who know the Beckhams all speak of them as very sincere, caring people. I spoke to one of the people who ran the creche at their World Cup party, he tells me that their love of Brooklyn was very obvious and very genuine. They are also clearly in love with each other, something which can't be said for very many celebrity couples.

That aside, no one deserves to live in fear, and no one deserves to gain obscene amounts of money from putting other people in that kind of fear.

I'm sure the jokes will start to hit our e-mail boxes before too long, but this issue is serious enough that it warrants a few days for those concerned to get over the initial shock before the humour starts. IMHO.

FFF
-----------------

DuckDogers
5th Nov 2002, 10:19
TONY DRAPER

Journalists getting kidnapped? There's a great idea, wait a second... would that not allow the truth about stories to come out without any politicisation or spin?????? Oooppsss, people would not know what hit them!

nomdeplume
5th Nov 2002, 21:59
I can't abide the Beckhams.
I couldn't care less whether they're intelligent or not.
And it's nothing to do with "revolting snobbery" Unwell-R. I don't resent anyone making a lot of money especially when their success is self-made.
But they are just so greedy.
They sold pics of their wedding for 1 million.
They sold pics of their babies for not much less.
Even by modern standards, they are notorious for wanting to be paid vast sums for everything they do, every photograph, every interview. Any so-called 'charity' contribution of their time/money is well-publicised by their publicity people.

And they are just so unbearably FLASH!
Just why does the unbearable Victoria think she's a celebrity, a star? She was a member of a second-rate manufactured pop group which was created and very succesfully managed by a very sucessful team of entrepreneurs led by an accountant.
What has she achieved since the Spice Girls days?
Despite all the hype she's not made it as a solo artist - not surprisingly given that she's completely devoid of talent.
She's married to the England Captain. So what? What previous Captain's wives have behaved like this?
Or previous Captains for that matter?
Eric says they 'keep their feet on the ground'.
For heaven's sake, these two sat on THRONES for their highly publicised wedding! :rolleyes:

The problem isn't their intelligence or lack of it, it's the stupidity of the population in this country which falls for all this rubbish and hype. Isn't it significant that the Daily Mail and magazines like 'Hello' are so popular. The Daily Mail used to be quite a good newspaper, but it was struggling to survive. The solution? Dumb down to the trashy levels of the tabloids. The result? Enormous increase in sales and it's now an enormously successful newspaper.

I concde the Beckhams are good role models in some ways - as Unwell mentioned. But -- they are also icons of flash bad taste.

Sadly, the fact that articles/features on the Beckhams sells newspapers is a terrible reflection on the depths to which this once great country has sunk. Millions of people apparently care what the Beckhams are doing, what she's wearing, his new hair-style etc and want to read about it and watch television programmes about them.
How embarrassing - for what used to be called 'Great' Britain not so long ago!

Unwell_Raptor
5th Nov 2002, 22:02
For a bloke who doesn't care less, you don't half go on about them.

He's not up for Governor of the Bank of England and she hasn't been asked to chair the BBC Board.

They are entertainers - that's it.

Chill!;)

BlueEagle
5th Nov 2002, 22:13
And apart from all of the above let us not forget that the criminal fraternity in Albania and Romania are a bunch of totally ruthless killers who put no value, (apart from a monetary one), on human life and had they succeeded with the kidnap may well have murdered as well, to rid themselves of the 'inconvenience'.

No great fan but I do believe Posh was in very serious danger.

I would like to know a lot more about how the papers managed to become so easily involved though, sound a bit fishy.

reynoldsno1
5th Nov 2002, 23:01
Isn't it a wee bit ironic that Mrs. Beckham is now trying to prevent Peterborough United FOOTBALL Club from using "The Posh" as a marketing gambit - although they have had the nickname for over 80 years. How does she think that this is going to adversely affect her, or does she just want to distance herself from the whole soccer circus...

"David, David? Where are you....."

nomdeplume
5th Nov 2002, 23:12
Typical of her conceit, arrogance and over-inflated ego ..... and, of course, her horror that someone might have the audacity to use the word 'posh' without paying her. :rolleyes:

USE THE RUDDERS
6th Nov 2002, 00:35
Agree with you 100% nomdeplume

Who the fcuk do they think they are Royalty

Beckingham Palace says it all!

On a serious note kidnaping IS Illegal

Unwell_Raptor
6th Nov 2002, 08:40
Beckingham Palace was coined by the tabloids. Where's the indignation over the palaces built by the chairmen of collapsed companies with their massive payoffs?

Hoverman
6th Nov 2002, 09:27
Well said Nomdeplume.
I think your point that the public fascination with them is a sad reflcetion of the low levels to which this country has sunk was a very good one.

Unwell
Are you unwell?
Why so rude to people who hold a different view?
Nondeplume just answered your points.
And people are very indignant about pay-offs to company chairmen of collapsed companies, but this thread is about the loathesome Beckhams and their greedy, flash, publicity, money-grabbing antics.

Unwell_Raptor
6th Nov 2002, 09:42
Rude? Moi?

Heaven forfend that an occasionally robust expression of one's opinion might be seen as rude!

Now sod off.

;)