PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rom problem

stolport
2nd Nov 2002, 10:53
Hi

When I put a CD or DVD into my DVD Rom drive, nothing loads. Also, I am unable to eject the disc unless I restart the computer.

Do I need to by a new DVD Rom and if so, how do I install it?

Many Thanks

:)

RadarContact
2nd Nov 2002, 13:20
Wow, how about a little more information here...

1.) Does your DVD show as a valid drive on your Desktop/Explorer/??? (depending on OS)

2.) Can you open it by software command before inserting a disc?

3.) Does it spin up after inserting said disc?

4.) Have you installed the drive yourself?

4.1.) Why??? :p

5.) Have you checked if all necessary cables are connected?

5.1.) If you're not quite sure how to do this, don't!!!

Answer these and maybe there will ba an answer - maybe there will be more questions.

stolport
2nd Nov 2002, 13:55
1.) Does your DVD show as a valid drive on your Desktop/Explorer/??? (depending on OS)

Under system properties/CD Rom; Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-114 is showing status 'the device is working properly'

2.) Can you open it by software command before inserting a disc?

The drive opens only when it doesn't have a CD in it already. Using eject on my DVD player doesn't work either. The only way to eject is to restart the computer and push eject just after it has restarted.

3.) Does it spin up after inserting said disc?

I don't think so; I used to hear the software loading and see the orange light flash but neither happen now; the orange light flickers 3 times just after turning the computer on.

4.) Have you installed the drive yourself?

It came with the computer 2/3 years ago.

5.) Have you checked if all necessary cables are connected?

Yes - only outside cables though

ORAC
2nd Nov 2002, 15:11
Technically speaking, it's b*ggered. Buy a new one.

spannersatcx
2nd Nov 2002, 15:31
In windows explorer find your drive, D, E , or whatever it's id is and right click on it and select eject. That overrides anything that may be using the drive. There may well be something starting in windoz that you may not be aware of.

If you do ctrl alt del does anything show up that could be using the drive, if so close it down.