PDA

View Full Version : Airleague Flying Scholarship.

mark152
17th Mar 2001, 16:26
What am I doing wrong! I have applied in the previous two years for an Airleague Flying Scholarship, and didn't manage to get past the application form stage each time.

I am currently reading Physics at Oxford, and have good previous qualifications. I also have 7hrs AEF from the CCF at school. I have also undertaken two aviation-related work experience placements with B.A. at Ops Control at Heathrow, and with British Aerospace at Warton.

I am sure that I didn't say anything particularly stupid in the 100 words bit, and made it clear that my strong ambition is to pursue my dream to one day sit in that left-hand seat.

Any advice on what they are looking for? Any help would be great, especially from those lucky enough to have made it in previous years.

mark152
17th Mar 2001, 16:35
Sorry!

I accidently submitted the post before getting the ending in. It should read:

"Thanks,

Mark."

Speedbird 2946
18th Mar 2001, 06:51
Well, competition is very stiff and from my own experience I found that you had to prove that the hours you would get would be used in a manner that would further your career which would otherwise be impossible. My scholarship allowed me to finish my PPL (which I said I could do at my interview, as I had an RAF FS also). Maybe you need to stand out from the crowd some more, I don't know. It seems to be that there are so many EXCELLENT wannabes out there that the judging panel sometimes want that little bit extra.. you know, HOW far have you gone with your aviation career, are you pushing it to the limit kind of thing... I met a guy who worked in a flying club, and washed dorniers to raise money to pay for aptitude tests and flying training... do you see what I mean? Obviously there is not an academic barrier with you (I'd love to be able to say I was an Oxford boy) but if you fancy dropping me an e-mail offline maybe I could help?

Cheers,

SB