PDA

View Full Version : Toasties

Anthony Carn
1st Nov 2002, 10:46
I sit here thoroughly enjoying wafer thin beef and last nights leftover chips ("fries" to my cousins) assembled in the form of a hot toastie. Brown sauce as a dip, strong brew of tea.

I once attempted to "toastify" curry leftovers, rice included. Disgustingly messy ( the toastie I mean ) and very mouth-scalding-prone, but delicious.

Hmmmm -- how does baked alaska work ?

AerBabe
1st Nov 2002, 11:00
Don't ever try sardines. My house-mate, when I was living in Warwick, tried this, and bits of hot sardine juice splattered out, covering the entire kitchen. :eek:

treadigraph
1st Nov 2002, 11:13
I used to make breakfast toasties - best to slice everything up nice and small and spread the egg out a bit, delicious! Hell of clear up on the toasty maker though... the egg white invariably dribbled out the side and adhered to various inaccessible nooks and crannies while it was toasting...

Notso Fantastic
1st Nov 2002, 11:41
This is a curry afficionado's secret. Don't toastie it next day. Have it cold! Cold curry next day is actually better than hot and fresh the night before. May sound horrible, but try it.

X-QUORK
1st Nov 2002, 12:09
Aer Babe,

Your mention of Sardines reminded me of some high jinks we used to get up to in the Army. Whilst on long boring exercises in the cold German winter, we would have the occasional "burner" - a large fire and plenty of beers, just to keep the spirits up. Our ration packs used to contain tins of Sardines which had inevitably gone well past the Best Before date, so they were usually just thrown away rather than risk a nasty case of gut rot. It was during a drunken burner that I decided to dispose of my tin of rancid fish onto the considerable bonfire. Nothing happened for a few minutes, then booom !! The tin blew with amazing force and reminded me of a white phosphorous artillery round - lots of tiny glowing shards of cremated sardine showering everyone within 30 yards of the fire. This also had the unwelcome result of blowing out the fire.

I remained silent when Sarge asked which moron had nearly killed his platoon.....:eek:

AerBabe
1st Nov 2002, 12:10
I remember being told a few years ago that curries are meant to be eaten cold, and that it's the spices and chillies which give it all the heat it needs. Anyone know if this is true? :)

FlyingForFun
1st Nov 2002, 14:10
Anthony, please don't try putting baked alaska in your toasties... :rolleyes:

FFF
---------------

Biggles Flies Undone
1st Nov 2002, 15:25
X-QUORK I had a similar experience at an end of exercise bonfire. Burning all the old compo packets etc and we discovered that the tubes of marge would pop and shower unsuspecting watchers. All well and good until some prat chucked on a tin of ‘cheese, processed’ – the first I knew of it was a loud explosion and a burning log missing my head by inches and carrying on for another 15 yards.... :eek:

Paterbrat
1st Nov 2002, 16:32
Toasties= small children in Halloween outfits on the neighborhood bonfire which was being prepared for Guy Fawkes. Otherwise know as Crispy Kidlets.

No certainly not! I love children and don't live anywhere near a big bonfire. Besides I want to see the firworks tonight.

Eraserhead
1st Nov 2002, 16:50
A long time ago, on a hot Sunday afternoon, me and a couple of mates were lazing about drinking beer.
One of us shot a sparrow with an air rifle.
After a while the conversation got round to food, which naturally led to the sparrow....... Don't you just know where this is leading?
Free beer all evening down the Alma was on offer to the one who, well, you know.
Being short of cash at the time and a bit of a nutter, this seemed like a good deal, so I said "yeah I'll eat it".
Kevin did the cooking with a butane blowtorch on the patio step. Meanwhile I toasted two slices of bread under the grill.
By now the poor little bird was reduced to a lump of carbonised feather and sparrow meat, which was stuck into the toastie and scoffed by me. Didn't taste too bad, burnt feathers mainly. My friends honoured the agreement and we all had a good night down the pub.
(This was before I got married).

Notso Fantastic
1st Nov 2002, 17:12
A very sad reflection of humanity! Is this how country numbskulls amuse themselves on a nice day? Is there any hope for humanity? Has the UK been completely dumbed down to this level? Have we discovered the reason for the denuding of the UK of garden birds? I was a tearaway like this, but I seem to have left it behind me at 11!