PDA

View Full Version : Dunsfold

No comment
31st Oct 2002, 14:02
Once closed, not forgotten...
I hear on the grapevine that the owners have managed to get some activity back to Dunsfold? Is this true? If so, its amazing that a closed airfield can be brought "back to life" in these times!
If anyone has any information whatsoever I'd be grateful.
NC

Nopax,thanx
31st Oct 2002, 14:26
Yes indeed - involves cars, though...........can be seen on Clarkson's 'Top Gear' on a Sunday night. They have turned the runways and taxiways into circuits, and one of the hangars is used as the studio.

Better 'n nothing, I suppose.....

No comment
31st Oct 2002, 17:03
so the rumour of a Dak popping up there is a bit more than the truth?

treadigraph
31st Oct 2002, 17:08
I used to go to school quite near Dunsfold and many a boring maths lesson was enlivened/drowned out by a Harrier or Hawk zipping past on a test flight - and on one occasion the Miles Student - honest! Must have been around 75 or 76!

Hope the activity prevents it from becoming yet another housing or industrial estate.

Incidently, one of my peers was called Oliver Farley - any relation to you John?

John Farley
1st Nov 2002, 15:06
treadigraph

If he knew his Dad no, if he didn't, well how can one ever be sure...?

treadigraph
1st Nov 2002, 15:41
Ah well, just a thought...! Don't recall him being particularly interested in fings with wings.

I reckon you must have interrupted our maths classes occasionally. It's OK; personally I blame my inability to do anything more than the simplest arithmetic on the fact that the maths classrooms also overlooked the girls' tennis court!

Regards

Treadders

Biggles Flies Undone
1st Nov 2002, 15:57
Back in the 70’s when you were allowed to do these things without the Spanish Inquisition, I helped a bunch of enthusiasts dig up the remnants of a Tempest that had crashed just outside the airfield boundary (whilst showing off to a bunch of Italian POWs). We were a bit naughty and jumped the stream to look inside the peri and I took a few snaps of some ex-Danish Air Force Hunters parked there. My son is seriously into militaria and I was flipping through one of his books recently and there was a picture of the same Hunters taken ‘many years ago’. Talk about making you feel your age!

Conc
2nd Nov 2002, 12:09
I believe the airfield is going to be used next year for filming a forth coming Steven Spielberg film about the Berlin Airlift. Several Daks and the DC-4s/C-54s at North Weald are due to take part.