PDA

View Full Version : Jack The Ripper Documentry

tony draper
31st Oct 2002, 08:35
Anybody else watch that tripe last night?
Patricia Cornwell Stalks the Ripper,because it wasn't about Jack the Ripper it was Documentry about Mz Pat Cornwell.
Now I am unfamiliar with the ladies books, she may well be a fine writer, but I would suggest she sticks to writing books because she sure as hell can't make documentries.
Mz Cornwell getting into her Ferrari Mz Cornwell getting into her private Jet, Mz Cornwell walking along various beaches looking pensive and troubled, Mz Cornwell playing with bags of offall.
Nowadays because of cable, the art off documentry making has been slipping of late, they tend to be dumbed down and sensationalised , seemingly aimed at a audience of ten year olds but Mz Corwells takes the biscuit as the most annoying Doc I have ever seen.
Go into any bookshop and you will find ten feet of book shelf space devoted to the ripper case, everybody and his cat has been punted forward as the Ripper,
Mz Corwell claims to have discovered all sorts of new stuff, bollix, she said nothing I havent read about in the above mentioned books, Sickart has long been a firm favorite among the Ripper fans, including every thing she said about Mr Sickard paintings.
Its all been done before and with much more style .
Sorry for the rant , its just I was looking forward to watching this doc and it has to be the singulaly most irritating load of bollix I have ever sat through.
:mad:

PS my favorite is still Dr Twombley.

Select Zone Five
31st Oct 2002, 08:38
Don't beat around the bush Drapes...do you like her or not? :p

takenthe5thamendment
31st Oct 2002, 08:47
Tony
I got bored with the documentary and switched it off.

But I can tell you that Patricia Cornwell is one of the finest crime writers I have ever come across.
Her books are excellent if you are interested in forensic pathology, I have read every one of them, but steer clear of the Southern Cross series.........they are based on the police and are not in the same league.

Onions
31st Oct 2002, 10:08
I'm with Tony. It was Tosh. Nice Ferrari though.

Konkordski
31st Oct 2002, 12:51
Tony,

My cat says he's gonna sue your @rse for libel.

Kalium Chloride
31st Oct 2002, 12:58
From a book review site...

Sickert and the Ripper Crimes
by Jean Overton Fuller

The original investigation into the 1888 ripper murders
and the artist Walter Richard Sickert

In the autumn of 1888 London women lived under the shadow of the Ripper murders - killings perhaps unmatched in their sadistic brutality. Florence Pash, friend and colleague of the painter Walter Sickert and herself an artist, confided to the author's mother when in her late eighties, a terrible story that she had kept even from those closest to her. Jean Overton Fuller draws on the new evidence of Florence Pash, and with her own artist's eye discovers clues in Sickert's pictures, pointing conclusively to the true identity of the Ripper...

Eric
31st Oct 2002, 14:13
KC,

When Tony says,

PS my favorite is still Dr Twombley.

he's probably not talking about the identity of Jack the Ripper, but is expressing more of a professional opinion of a colleague in the same line as himself. :eek: :eek: :eek:

djk
31st Oct 2002, 15:59
I have to agree with the erstwhile Mr Draper,
the whole documentary just seemed to be a way for Patricia Cornwell to advertise her novels.
No other theories were discussed, it seemed as if she had just taken one suspect and decided why it was that person.

:rolleyes:

Boss Raptor
31st Oct 2002, 17:34
Yep I am with TD...

Dr. 'hello I collect Uterus' Twoemblty who had history and was in the right places at the right time...

Very good book about him titled 'Jack The Ripper: First American Serial Killer' by Evans and Gainey, published earlier in UK as Jack The Ripper, The Lodger, The Arrest and The Escape'

AerBabe
31st Oct 2002, 20:46
I passed through this while channel hopping. Only saw a few seconds, during which she complained about how much it was costing her, then the next shot saw her drive across the apron in a ferrari, and reclining in a cream leather seat in a private jet. Huh? :confused: :rolleyes: Couldn't stand any more than that :(