PDA

View Full Version : Hotest Aeroplane...

High Altitude
31st Oct 2002, 03:12
Not of so much relevance to the southerners...

We are now entering the Silly Season and well its HOT.

Whats the hotest aircraft you have flown?

Me :- C421C without the aircon (with the aircon a bit better).

Yet another reason to get a Caravan, the aircons great...

mainwheel
31st Oct 2002, 04:43
P68,the rat,in Moresby waiting for t/o clearance would have to be the hottest i've been in an a/c.

speedjet
31st Oct 2002, 08:24
Have also flown C421C you are talking about HA.
Have to agree it is a hot aircraft inside in middle of summer

nungry
31st Oct 2002, 11:25
Would have to agree with mainwheel.

The first one to come to mind was the bongo, but at least you can hang your arm out the window like in the ute. But the P68 - a tiny little hole with your hand out side it trying to fan air into it dosen't really work. And no vent fan. It was a godsend when it rained while in the air though - you'd stick your hand out just enough to get the wind and moisture straight onto your face and sweat soaked shirt.

Relaxed Redback
31st Oct 2002, 13:25
My sauna award would be.METROSWINER and BAE 146 in summer.

Jimmy Pop
31st Oct 2002, 22:23
PN68 Observer - the one with the perspex cockpit

Cessna Capt
1st Nov 2002, 01:26
C152 doing circuits on a 41 deg day. It had vinyl seats so afterwards you had to peel your self off to get out. To make things worst the tower kept announcing everytime the temp went up.

Aussiebert
1st Nov 2002, 15:22
any aircraft when the fan at the front isn't on, and your in the air :D

Throtlemonkey
1st Nov 2002, 19:40
Have to agree the part mafia is a hot mongrel thing especialy after the squease and stumble manuver to get in to the seat. Tobago's are hot bastards of things in summer to with or with out the fan.

Relaxed Redback
2nd Nov 2002, 05:32
BIK.
I STARTED TO SWEAT READING YOUR POST.
Oh how I remember that metro on a hot day.The really funny part is that we still carry thousands around Aus in those darts even today.They must be lovely to fly out of Darwin just about now.....:)

404 Titan
3rd Nov 2002, 02:07
Aerostar 601P with the electric A/C out of Port Moresby (Jacksons) would have to be the hottest aeroplane I have flown. Couldn't run the A/C on the Ground because the alternators didn't put out enough amps at low power. Once in the air though is was alright.

gaunty
3rd Nov 2002, 09:11
Dunno where she is now but had a C421C VH-USH, I think it was, with electric air and big gazillion amp alternators.

Very Cool especially when you hooked the ground cart up for a precool.:cool:

Kaptin M
3rd Nov 2002, 10:08
The Parthenavia was one of the hotter "lighties" I can remember. But come the end of my G.A. days (back in the late '70's), I figured my days of sitting in sweat boxes (C310's, Navajo's, Twin Commanches, etc) were over.
WRONG!!

My first airline aircraft was the "Mouse" the F27 (200 & 500) - named because of its long nose. Now while today's modern airline transport aircraft have APU's and GPU's, the Mouse had ZILCH, NADA, NIL! Except for a "ground blower" - in other words, a fan that inducted air at ambient temp. and blew it into the cockpit/cabin.
Moree, Coonabarrabran, Gunnedah, Wee Waa, Dubbo and Broken Hill.
Alice Springs, Rockhampton, Gladstone, and Isa!
Real crutch-rot territory in Summer.

But the Mouse had an added bonus for the sauna afficionados - window heat :o
That delightful innovation that had to be turned on (in those days) at least 10 minutes prior to take-off.

Light aircraft on a HOT Summer's Day....
sheer bloody luxury!!

the wizard of auz
5th Nov 2002, 01:29
you fellas want to have to bash around at fug all feet all day chasing sheep and cattle in a 172..............it gets hotter as you fly coz your all of twenty feet off the ground and surrounded by glass.
then the cockie decides he wants to clean out the holding paddock after lunch and your aircraft has been sitting on the iron stone strip in the blazing sun for the last four hours..............and you know there aint going to be relief with altitude coz there aint going to be any altitude......god I love my job.
;)

jungly
5th Nov 2002, 02:57
Bell 47.

The whole damn thing is a perspex sauna. Big fan over head just recycles the hot air (and mixes it with the turbocharger air for added warmth)

..................... but she is an icon and we love her!

puff
5th Nov 2002, 11:45
Eagle 150, Bubble canopy, no blower of any sort, no shade. Had a lovely feature of a digital temperate readout on the dash, High 40s to low 50s were the norm in summer...just lovely! Was nice and warm in winter tho!

ftrplt
5th Nov 2002, 22:48
Macchi at low level in Summer; not only hot but as bumpy as hell.:)

clear to land
6th Nov 2002, 04:45
2 perspectives: C90 with u/s aircon that has been sitting on the ground at WDH with OAT+48C for last 4 hours, or Kiowa that has been sitting in the sun in North Aust, then you get in wearing flying suit, gloves, vest, helmet etc and fly around low level to avoid headwinds, doing drum refuellings for the next 6hrs. It was fun in a masochistic sort of way though!. PS: on transits the doors were on!

DIVINE WIND
6th Nov 2002, 11:53
I'm with jungly

The Bell-47 can be a bitch in the heat,but what a legned.

There is no substitute for character.:cool:

Ref + 10
11th Nov 2002, 23:45
Cessna 210 after loading 500kg of freight on a 48 degree C day. The OAT guage was off the top end at 55. Never drunk so much water before in my life!!! Worse still, it was like that constantly for five weeks.

compressor stall
12th Nov 2002, 09:47
C401 doors closed waiting for a taxi clearance from Darwin GND (need we say more) on a November afternoon a couple of years ago.

In the back were 7 indigenous ladies - all mourners at a funeral at Elcho. The lady sitting next to me was fully painted in tribal clays.

After 10 minutes of sitting and waiting, lady leans over and says "Eh Pahlot, it bin so hot my clay is melting!"

Sure enough, it had melted and was running all down her face and off her breasts.....

The Messiah
15th Nov 2002, 08:50
MU-2 full of freight and doors closed. Not possible to sweat more than that!

Sheep Guts
16th Nov 2002, 23:44
An Otter gets hot if doesnt have aircon. So you open the windows ,then it gets noisey. And the vent fan doesnt do much for the poor pax in the back either. Once your airborne you can crack the Window for extra breeze, but be sure to close it again before decent.:D

Flight Detent
18th Nov 2002, 15:08
I do recall not being able to actually get to the cockpit of a RAAF Caribou one day.
It had been locked up in the sun all day, and remember, they are painted dark green (matt), I opened one of the rear side doors, but could not make it to the front to get the overhead hatch open, to let out the heat, it was just much to hot, I couldn't believe it!
Had to turn back, could not make it, we finally opened the lower forward access to connect the battery (as I remember it!), and ran the rear ramp door open from the rear controls, and the other side door open, and just waited for about 20 minutes!

Inflight, they only have a heater system, not so different than my car system, as I remember it.
Luckily, we can fly it with both the cockpit side windows open, and the rear ramp door(s) some way open.

Them were the days!
Errrr..........1969, they were still new, then!

TeamTerminal
19th Nov 2002, 10:57
Butterworth, Tengah, Darwin, Clarke. Mirage III. All morning fitting external tanks for ferry trips. 200ltrs per side, magnifying glass closed overhead so pens etc were not sucked into the intake just outside the window.

I know it only took 20-30 minutes each, but with another half dozen down the line to do when your finished. I seem to remember that this was always done within sight of the farewell (pissup) festivites.

Of the above Darwin during the buildup I think was the hardest. Temp? no idea, no OAT indicator, and couldn't read it if there was. Hard enough counting the clicks on the debby and reading the mains.

currawong
23rd Nov 2002, 06:06
Nine hours straight in the seat - Cessna Agwagon - spreading fertiliser. Six minutes per load. Working off a dirt road next to a power substation. Under one wire on T/O, over the next(????) during N. Qld wet. Helmet, overalls, gloves, boots. Five litres of water were not enough. Call me a wuss but I had to sit in a irrigation channel for a while to get my head together for the trip home. Next time might try to organise five litres of cold water!!!

barleyhi
24th Nov 2002, 21:35
Don't know about hottest but coldest................. AS - MIA PA31 FL210....... bloody turn the heater on S****** ...........duh we disconnected it for tropic ops.............