PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft damage at Moorabbin

xplane10
30th Oct 2002, 22:14
Rumour has it that two aircraft, a Chieftain RUH and a C414 FCZ were broken into and damaged last Monday night at Moorabbin. Both had their instrument panels removed and conections cut with boltcutters, but radios and nav gear left. Security at Moorabbin seems very lax. Ensure you lock up your planes and have decent locks fitted (not ones that I can open with my car's petrol cap key!)

Dale Harris
31st Oct 2002, 04:00
What security.............!

SKC
31st Oct 2002, 04:14
Dont see how MB really could have any decent security. It sometimes surprises me how people leave planes unlocked with tens of thousands of dollars of equipment in them! If it was my car I wouldnt leave it lying around unlocked ... !

Then again if they really want it, a lock isnt going to stop them I guess!

drexel
2nd Nov 2002, 12:50
A couple of years ago at essendon someone took a cheiftain
for some tarmack demolission derbys.I am supprised that this is not a more common thing .If you had the know how you could in theory take anything
from a 150 to a 747 for a joy ride fairly easily.Scary but true.
(you could have trouble getting taxi clearence,in the 47 )

Ultralights
11th Nov 2002, 01:03
if your taking a 74 for a joyride! i dont think getting taxi clearance would be a problem! or any other clearance for that matter!

xplane10
19th Dec 2002, 04:59
And again last night most of the flight instuments removed from a Caravan with the aid if screwdrivers and boltcutters. Where is the security when you need it???(Phil???) Get proper locks on your aircraft. this one was locked. Seems they're after instruments without serial no's. The stickers identifying the instruments can be removed prior to resale. Once again they left expensive radios and GPS alone. These people know thier stuff. Probably gone to 3rd world country but still be suspicious of and report anyone offering cheap instruments.

High Altitude
19th Dec 2002, 05:41
Its a low act whoever is doing it??? That makes 3, oh well at least the last happened to a really really really nice bloke... :)

What is the world coming to when you have to lock your plane??? How many keys will be lost now???

maverick22
19th Dec 2002, 12:56
Unfortunately it is becoming a fact of life that unless something is locked it is not safe....but not even this can be garanteed. In Bundaberg alone during the past 12 months someone has attempted to steal a shorts 360 left overnight at the aerodrome and more recently the same happened with a bell 47 chopper. Now imagine the damage that could have been done if someone had got one of those machines fired up and possibly airbourne!! And as for airport security in some parts of this country.....its an absolute joke:eek:

I think Mr Bean had the right idea with the lock he had on his car