PDA

View Full Version : CAT II/III briefing

mave
30th Oct 2002, 21:47
Preparing SOP for our company. I am interesting if any company has special check list for low visibilty procedure. Any different procedure between CAT I and CAT II/III? Only approache briefing is extended? Thank´s

411A
30th Oct 2002, 22:42
Normally, the operator will provide a list of servicable/unservicable items required for the CAT II/III approach. This is why it was ESPECIALLY useful to have a properly trained Flight Engineer to keep track of the needed equipment/indications so as to call it to the attention to the front seat guys.

Newer guys/gals sadly will never appreciate this. That extra set of eyes sometimes saved the day...:D

Captain Stable
30th Oct 2002, 23:27
Review failures. What can you accept and continue? What failures will dictate a reversion to Cat I? When can you not accept a reversion and have to go around?

Check crew qualifications.

Check aircraft status. What unserviceabilities will remove Cat I status?

Do you need to conduct a RadAlt test? Is it desirable?

What differences between Cat I and Cat II/III in settings? Do you set RadAlt DH's? Most Cat I approaches are down to minima based upon ServoAltis, Cat II and beyond on RadAlt.

Do you switch PF/PNF for the approach? For go-around? Review and brief who will do what, who will call what, and when.

Review taxy procedures after landing. Most airports request that you call runway vacated in LVP's, and don't have to otherwise. With this in mind, review the airport plate and check where you expect to be able to vacate.

etc....

quid
3rd Nov 2002, 21:20
It's also wise to have the Marker Audio on, and to consider turning off the nose landing/taxi lights to reduce "scatter back" to improve visibility at low RVRs.

expedite_climb
4th Nov 2002, 17:22
741a,

what type is that ? My type doesnt use TA aurals at such low levels, ok you get yellow on the hsi, but thats no prob. The only time you get in and is distracting is on departure if the guy who just vacated leaves the transponder on.