PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Cadetships???

AeroBatfink
30th Oct 2002, 14:14
Does anyone know of operators offering rotary cadetships, or am I suffering from a severe bout of wishful thinking?

Is the only way into the industry REALLY through the military, or by paying for it yourself?

Thanks,
AB

Yarba
30th Oct 2002, 21:06
Wishful thinking I'm afraid. Bristow used to but they closed down their scheme some years ago.
:(

advancing_blade
31st Oct 2002, 10:05
I think bristow still do, but only if your Nigerian (wait to be corrected). Met a buch in HAI a while back

ClearBlueWater
31st Oct 2002, 14:11
more chance of a **** in a convent.

AeroBatfink
1st Nov 2002, 19:40
Hmm... thought it would be a long shot, but you never know on PPRuNe, eh?

rotormad
1st Nov 2002, 22:57
I wrote to Bristow some months back and got an application through for full sponsorship, i applied and told i was in the 'waiting' list:confused: ...dont really hold out much hope. The strange thing was that when i wrote to them i wasn't inquiring about sponsorship but more along the lines of what they were looking for in a potential pilot..i.e. how many hours, instrument rated etc..etc..etc..but when i got a reply it just said that i should apply for sponsorship....so i did!!!

Well thats all folks

Rotormad

handyandyuk
2nd Nov 2002, 03:32
I too wrote to them a short while back, really just asking for any advice they might give a low hours pilot. I didn't even get an acknowledgement. Not exactly good PR?:(

grazi
2nd Nov 2002, 11:29
Had a chat with Bristows last week......same story they'll send you an application form and you may be lucky.

I was trying to find out what would be the best way of getting a ride with them. Be it a cadetship with them paying for it (like that's gonna happen!) or funding it yourself etc etc.
One thing I'm trying to work out is once you have got your cpl is it better to pay for your instument rating or use that cash for hrs building?

As you can all figure out I'm new to this and am trying to see through the mud.......

One thing that came through strong from Bristows was their support for HAI (heli.com) they really do rate the training you get there.....so if anyone has been through HAI any info on your experience would be good.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Grazi

misterbonkers
2nd Nov 2002, 11:38
grazi,

£21750 for a cabair instrument rating. They were supposed to be sending me details, but that was over a week ago now!

It's a lot of money and I know that Skotia dont start you on a higher salary if you already have one. If they want you and you dont have an IR, they will put you through it and you have to sign a 3 year lockin.

It would seem HAI is a good route into Bristow because George Bedford, their ex head of training at Redhill, is involved. If you can get all the money to go then it may be worthwhile, but don't forget living costs etc whilst your there - you wont be able to work.

At least in UK you can keep working, maybe at the flying school where you wish to train giving you chance to get to know people and enhance your flying knowledge.

There are rather alot of folks chasing jobs on the North Sea at the moment!

grazi
2nd Nov 2002, 11:53
misterbonkers,

Thx for the quick reply..........

Taking it that the goal is to get a ride with CHC or Bristows, if you turn up there with a frozen ATPL...............it's gotta make them want you more than other applicants that they'll have to train up .....is this the case or am I missing the mark somewhere?

Just trying to figure out where they (the employers) are coming from and how to put youself in the best position with them.

Are things really that bad offshore....what do you have to do to get a ride with them.............anyone have info on forecasts for the offshore industry.

Grazi

rotorboy
2nd Nov 2002, 19:23
There was a lengthy topic on this subject in June. Try searching for it.

Yes, they still do it.
They just started another class.
They send them to HAI
Your supposed to already have a PPL.
There is an employmnet contract, but with some of the classes they didnt have positions so they cadets got let go ( after all the training)..

The old thread had all sorts of info and posts from people who were in or had gone through the program...

RB

ok dont know if this works but here is the link to the old posts

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56969&highlight=Bristow+sponsorship+scheme

gulliBell
6th Nov 2002, 05:36
There is an operator in Macau who has a cadet helicopter pilot program. They hire cadet applicants and send them to the US or Canada or Australia to get their basic rotorcraft commercial pilot certificate (all paid for by the company). Then once they have finished basic flight training they start as SIC on the S76C+ helicopter. They are then sponsored through IFR training, and once they have put some SIC hours together, they fly as PIC on the A-star. There is a return of service obligation for getting a free ride through pilot training. If this sounds too good to be true, a pre-requisite for getting hired into the program is an ability to speak fluent Chinese. So opportunities are rare, but they do exist.