PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful place on Earth?

Select Zone Five
30th Oct 2002, 13:54
As we have a good collection of world travellers here...What is the most visually beautiful place on Earth?

I intend to visit it before I'm much older and I'd like to know where it is...thanks :)

Hanalei Bay, Kauai at sunset and Zion National Park, Utah are pretty breathtaking but I'm keen to hear more!

(Edited to include Zion Nation Park)

FlyingForFun
30th Oct 2002, 14:02
Hmm, that's a tough one.

I've got a few ideas of places which I think would be beautiful, but which I've never been to. And since you can't really tell from photos....

So instead I'll have to go with the most beautiful place I've been to. The top of the World Trade Centre used to be beautiful - looking down on the activity below from the serenity of the viewing galery. Alas, no more.

But if we're talking about natural beauty, I saw some wonderful places in Arizona. The Grand Canyon has to be seen to be believed - but once you've seen it, there's not much to go back for. The mountains to the east of Phoenix, with their wonderful still blue lakes, are, IMHO, more beautiful. But both are topped by the red rock of Sedona - an absolutely must-see.

I hope to see some more beautiful places over the rest of my life, though...

FFF
----------------

AerBabe
30th Oct 2002, 14:04
The inside of a cockpit. Preferably an open one, and airbourne ;)

Failing that, take a trip to the Canadian Rockies near Jasper. The colour of the lakes is breathtaking. Bright blues you would never believe are natural. Miles of clean, white snow. The white-blue colour of ice on the side of the mountains. Wow :)

Vermont in Autumn is beautiful too. The rolling hills covered with trees with leaves of every colour.

Closer to home, Connemara. The whole place looks like it's straight off a postcard. Also in Ireland there's this stretch of beach just south of Dublin...

Anyway, make sure you post the photographs here! :)

Elvis21
30th Oct 2002, 14:36
Fraser Isalnd off the east coast of Austrlia. It has everything you could want. Crystal clear lakes, drifting sand dunes.
The sort of place you could just sit for days and feel like you had only been there for a couple of hours.
Breathtaking:D I cant wait to go back;)

DuckDogers
30th Oct 2002, 16:50
Anywhere North of the Arcitic Circle for the ultimate get away from it all experience if you like the cold. From a terrain type of thing, The Badlands in Alberta still strike as dessolate and ultimately inhospitable.

My favourite places for each land mass are as follows:

North America: New England (Massachusets and Maine, especially in the Fall)

South America: Rio de Janeiro as anything goes

Europe: Tricky one really but everytime i've been to Copenahagen i've loved it

Africa: South Africa, especially when watching Rugby and Cricket in Cape Town

Middle East: Has to be Dubai no doubt , party central but Abu Dhabi and Manama, Bahrain are also good

Far East: Hong Kong, just breathtaking, if ihad the cash id live here, can't beat Mad Dogs Pub either!!!

Oceania: Anywhere in Oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sub Continent: Sri Lanka

kopbhoy2
30th Oct 2002, 17:04
Switzerland - the Alps are breathtaking....I took a photo up there a few years ago of an idyllic little village with a small lake in front of it...anyway the place looks like a postcard, unfortunately I have absolutley no idea where it is, only that it was near Martigny...

AerBabe - sounds like Killiney beach (near Dublin), not bad but you should travel north and check the view from Howth :)

AerBabe
30th Oct 2002, 17:06
Yes! How could I forget the Alberta Badlands, and the hoodoos. Unfortunately I was only there for a few hours. It's on my list of 'must go back to' places :) Not beautiful, but unworldly.

LGW Vulture
30th Oct 2002, 17:49
Has to be a tiny place on the Greek Island of Angistri, called Liminaria.

One taverna and one huge deep lagoon, cystal clear water and NO PEOPLE!! Went swimming there just before sunset one summer evening some nine years ago......have travelled much since, but never has anywhere come close to such beauty........Ho hum, might return one day!

-------------------------------------------------

.............Life now is only Bizjets.............

flapsforty
30th Oct 2002, 17:51
First & most obvious places that come to mind:
Serengeti plains Africa, Blue mountains Oz, the mountains around Almaty, desert in Saudi at night, South American rainforests..............

Breathtaking all of them, in very different ways.
What a lucky bastard am I, having the job I do.

tony draper
30th Oct 2002, 18:11
I love the Sinus Iridium, it is a bit of a treck to get there though, and one should really take special clothing. ;)

Hagbard the Amateur
30th Oct 2002, 18:24
Switzerland - The Engadine region, Ticino, Lake Lugano, the panorama of Lake Geneva - I could go on.

Also, the Alpujarra region in south eastern Spain when the multi coloured flowers are coming out of the blasted desert wasteland.

Finally, if you can appreciate the beauty of the surface of Mars, Lanzarote is worth a look.

redsnail
30th Oct 2002, 19:48
In no particular order.

Buachaille Etive Mor and the Rannock Moor. Glen Coe area, Scotland. Totally awesome mountain.

Ningaloo Reef, west coast of Oz.
King Edward River, WA Oz.
King George Falls, WA Oz. See here (http://www.mccannhj.flyer.co.uk/personal.htm). More in Gallery as well.
Mt Whitfield National Park, Cairns.

18-Wheeler
30th Oct 2002, 21:31
I've been to Palau once, very nice indeed.

SLF
30th Oct 2002, 23:10
Most memorable for me was Cathedral Peak, in the southern Drakensberg in SA, halfway between Joberg and Durban, and a helicopter ride over the 3000 ft cliffs into Lesotho, and hovering over secluded pools, and rising up their waterfalls...

Camping at 2000m in spring in Andorra, ground freezing underneath me...

Monument valley, in fact the view of a deserted highway in New Mexico...

The surrealness of seeing the "Flying Elvises" parachute into Vegas...

31st Oct 2002, 00:03
Best view I 've ever had was sitting in LHS of 747 in the cruise heading North and crossing the med btw North Africa and Southern Spain

flyboy6876
31st Oct 2002, 02:06
For me there a few spectacular places.

The Cape peninsula in South Africa, on the escarpment overlooking the lowveld in the eastern part of SA. The area around Lakes Vic and Albert in Uganda, the crater lake area in Uganda.

The Blue mountains in NSW.

The Pilbara in WA.

Some parts of upstate New York I found very beautiful with the forested hills.

Rollingthunder
31st Oct 2002, 02:33
The Lake District.

Grosse Morne National Park in Newfoundland.

Lake Louise.

The Rockies anywhere, anytime.

Tai Island, on the beach at sunrise and sunset. Fiji.

St. Dogmaels looking across the River Teifi near dawn.

The Fells.

Skomer Island.

Parts of Oxfordshire, particularly Oxford spires from a distance, in the very early morning mist.

Sydney Harbour from Watson's Bay. (the Pub)

Pretty much anywhere from altitude.

jet_noseover
31st Oct 2002, 05:25
See the Norwegian fjords - especially Geiranger and the city of Bergen.
Try Andes Cordilleras between Cuzco and Machu Picchu - Peru or the Lake Titicaca area in Bolivia.
When given a chance do take a trip to Antarctica in December/January when the sun never sets over the glaciers. Spectacular!!!!. Alaska comes close but the atmosphere of untouched and unspoiled land is way down South... And the penguins are awesome.... Seals lazy, whales entertaining. Not to mention being on the Russian icebreaker is an adventure on its own!

near enuf is good enuf
31st Oct 2002, 06:22
Aerbabe,

I'm with you, Connemara on a beautiful summers day or even on a miserable winters day (Ring of Kerry aint bad either).
Followed closely by the Amalfi coast, Positano in particular.
Finally, I've just had the pleasure to fly around the Matterhorn in a Piper Arrow IV. I thought Zermatt was beautiful from the ground, WOW !

FlyingForFun
31st Oct 2002, 08:56
I definitely need to travel some more - there are some great suggestions on here!

More photos would be nice though. Here's a couple of mine:

The second most beautiful place I've ever been - here's a shot of Roosevelt Dam, in the middle of the Superstition mountains:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/426768de/bc/Phoenix/Roosevelt+Dam.jpg?bcYwH69Aa_3Yn.iS

And two shots of the most beautiful place I've been - Sedona. Although the photos really don't do it justice at all:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/426768de/bc/Phoenix/Sedona.jpg?bctwH69AMA2hv_fe
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/426768de/bc/Phoenix/Sedona+2.jpg?bcvwH69A9vOy6O6w

FFF
---------------

Wobbles
31st Oct 2002, 09:54
Blue Mountains, ozzy land, without a doubt. Rottnest Island on the west is another, as is Uluru (Ayers Rock). Not forgetting Sydney from the top of the bridge...

As you can tell, I like Oz;)

Who has control?
31st Oct 2002, 10:27
The Outer Hebrides are stunningly beautiful, white beaches, crystal clear water, clean air, fields full of flowers with mountain in the background. Shetland too is equally attractive, (Fetlar not Sullom Voe! )

The nearest place to heaven I've found is one of the camps in the Okavanga Delta in Botswana.

4fitter
31st Oct 2002, 11:37
It has got to be Norway. Go to Hoveden,back country skis, rucksack put skins on skis, climb till your sweaty then sit back and feel very smug ;)

tropicopter
31st Oct 2002, 12:49
The sight of the mountains to the west of Lake Orumiyeh on the Iran/Turkish border when leaving Iran during the revolution.

Instructor Barbie
31st Oct 2002, 17:28
Agree with redsnail, Ningaloo Reef. Closely followed by the non-touristy bits of Shark Bay, and the Hidden Valley near Kununurra. All in West Oz. Most of Tasmania is breathtaking too.

OldAg84
31st Oct 2002, 19:29
Anywhere in the Great State of Maine

Shenandoah Valley (go regularly for work)

The Grand Canyon (visually breeathtaking, but having a blue haired lady next you..."MARVIN! MARVIN!, JUST LOOK AT THAT!!!! DID YOU HEAR ME MARVIN? MARVIN!!!!! .....I dunno, just takes something away)

The great country of New Zealand.

Hawaii

The Puget Sound area.

The Salt Lake City area- flew as pax, with the sun going down, overlooking the Great Salt Lake- view was stunning.

Places I want to see but haven't been to-

Fjord country.

Italy- Lake Region

Alps- Switzeraland to Vienna.

Leeds, Yorkshire, UK.

Remember, you find beauty almost anywhere if you know how.

TheKentishFledgling
31st Oct 2002, 22:22
In my short life, the most beautiful place to look at I think has to be the view from the "Bel Air" restaurant in les Trois Vallees in the French Alps.

Miles of open space, covered in snow, with a few trees scattered around with snow covering their branches. (and you can even see Courchevel Altiport in one direction :D)

Also, the view out over Loch Loran in Scotland as the sun went down was something spectacular (http://www.eludlow.flyer.co.uk/barra/oban10.jpg). (We'd flown up to Oban (where the pic was taken!) IFR. Then the next morning when we needed to fly VFR, it was OVC001 :mad: )

tKF

Foodbomber
31st Oct 2002, 22:40
One of my favourite places is the Restaurant at the end of the Universe, in Nagarkot, Nepal. The outdoor dining is a verandah with a 600ft slope down to the valley bottom, where wends the Indrawati river, with a stonking view of the peaks of the himalaya range, Annapurna in the west to Kanchenjunga and Everest in the East. The apple and blueberry pie wasnt bad either!

Also in the west of Nepal Pokhara has some stunning views, especially after a little climb which helps you to appreciate nature.

Floating down the Nile in a Felucca at sunset can be quite an amazing sight as well. Dawn at Varanasi on the Ganges can be quite stunning as well, though some of the land sights can be :eek:

BahrainLad
31st Oct 2002, 22:59
Hissing across Saudi Arabia at FL410, at dawn with the sun coming up over the desert.

Absolute, entire, nothingess.

One feels very small.

Select Zone Five
10th Nov 2002, 09:43
I found this on the BBC website...I guess that covers most places.

50 places to see before you die (http://www.bbc.co.uk/50)

El Grifo
10th Nov 2002, 11:10
I have to say that the Coral Atolls, collectively known as the Maldives contain some of the most incredible locations I have ever visited. I visited 12 over a 3 week period

I remember saying to somone during my trip, that if heaven exists, it must be something like this. However, like heaven there was precious little booze, most of the local totty was dressed head to foot and after a few days I was bored shootless.

My ticket to hell is in the post :cool: ;)

flowman
10th Nov 2002, 13:01
The first tee at Portstewart Golf Club, Northern Ireland. No really! From it's elevated position the North Atlantic and a huge unspoilt beach to the right, the River Bann to the left, 3kms of rolling sand dunes wedged in between and the hills of Donegal in the distance. All this within walking distance of endless supplies of Guinness.
Normally 30kts of wind blowing, granted, but that means the view changes by the minute! Spectacular.

flowman

Ali Barber
11th Nov 2002, 05:46
The top of Mt Kilimanjaro. My son is climbing it for the New Year and I'm not jealous at all................much!

EGPFlyer
11th Nov 2002, 10:31
here (http://www.glencoe-scotland.net/buchaillesnow.html)

Firestorm
11th Nov 2002, 11:45
No competition IMHO: South Georgia.

Close seconds: Jotenheimen in Norway, Antarctica, Sahara (except for the enormous quantities of litter). The Hebrides, inner and outer. The Rockies, The Arctic. Spot the theme.......:rolleyes:

maninblack
12th Nov 2002, 11:44
Estes Park, Colorado.
Kauaii
Table Mountain, Tasmania.
Mam Tor, Derbyshire.
Pen Y Fan, Brecon Beacons.
(I think I have a hill fixation)

and not forgetting Gweneth Paltrow's bedroom. I would rate that as a world beating sight.....we coudln't be serious all the time.

edited for bad spelling due to shaking hands at the thought of Gweneth Paltrow's bedroom.

Yarba
12th Nov 2002, 12:05
Ayers Rock at sunset or sunrise

Pax Vobiscum
12th Nov 2002, 15:33
Whatever you look for in your most beautiful place, you will find it in New Zealand. Mountains, Volcanoes, Fjords, Rain Forest, Lakes, Beaches and some of the best food and drink in the world as well (worth a visit just to try the fish and chips). All in a country the size of Great Britain.

If only it weren't so far away ...

low n' slow
12th Nov 2002, 15:56
Anywhere away from what we know as civilisation, there is also infinite amounts of snow and a clear blue sky. Beats anything... By the way, its in the north of scandinavia... on top of a mountain

/lns

troddenmasses
12th Nov 2002, 21:29
Near(ish) home..... the ring of Kerry

A little further a field... The Duomo square, Milan

Personal favourite..... Kruger national park - RSA.

PaperTiger
12th Nov 2002, 22:06
I found this on the BBC website...I guess that covers most places.

Florida ? FLORIDA ??

B222
12th Nov 2002, 23:31
Sunny morning in June, the sun is comming up over Ireland's Eye and you realise your only up to go to the loo !!

reynoldsno1
13th Nov 2002, 00:07
Whatever you look for in your most beautiful place, you will find it in New Zealand. Mountains, Volcanoes, Fjords, Rain Forest, Beaches and some of the best food and drink in the world as well (worth a visit just to try the fish and chips). All in a country the size of Great Britain.

Touring the South Island in January with the Managing Director & Reynolds jr who has been promised a swim with the dolphins, a dive in Pupu Springs and a snorkel down the Takaka river (flows at about 15km/hr, 2 ft deep - just like a low flying simulator - magic!!). Lost my heart to this country many years ago - and I be a Dorset lad originally, which is, or was, also a beautiful place...

Little Blue
13th Nov 2002, 00:30
Rhosilli Bay, South Wales on a beautiful summers evening....
Breathtaking...
But, to turn this thread on its head....
The biggest "toilet" on this planet...
Here's one for size...
Coalvilles Belvior shopping "centre"
Every other shop seems to be boarded up and every other shopper is wearing slippers !!..Trust me on this one...
..Minging !
:( :(

erjdriver
13th Nov 2002, 18:10
ASIAGO, Italy. roughly 80km NW of Venice. Ah, so magnificent!

greatorex
13th Nov 2002, 18:14
MALDIVES, (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/277075/L/) for me!!!!!! :D ;) :D ;)

Justforkix
14th Nov 2002, 09:12
The glacier producing the largest amount of ice in the world. Its in Ilulisat Greenland. I was there once when huge amount of ice broke of, breathtaking!

Ilulisat glacier (http://iserit.greennet.gl/van/images/Ilulissat_isbra_set_fra_isen.jpg)

Thud_and_Blunder
14th Nov 2002, 13:09
Top topic.

Reading through these has made me realise - once again - how lucky I've been; I've had the chance to see or even live in many of the places so far listed.

I reckon the Seychelles has some of the prettiest places - seeing Coco-de-mer where they originally came from was a highlight of 2001 for me. The jungles of Borneo were a lovely place to fly a helicopter over/into, too.

However, when I die, I know that - if I've been very, very good - the place I end up will look very like one particular wadi near the village of Umq Bir in the Sultanate of Oman.

mono
14th Nov 2002, 14:28
I once trekked through the Borneo rain forest, through swamp like terrain (but with crystal clear water under foot so all the fauna could be seen) on trees felled by the local tribes people. After about 8 hrs walking the ground began to rise and after another 1 hr can upon a huge waterfall falling into a lake about 600 - 800 yards in size.

Quite the most beautiful place I have ever seen. No pictures 'cos at times my guide and I had to swim across rivers. I don't have a clue where it is, except it is near the border of Brunei and Sarawak. Didn't see a soul for 4 days and I don't think that more than 100 (non indigenous) people have ever seen it.

Awesome.

steamchicken
14th Nov 2002, 14:53
well...it's interesting that someone else here also thinks the brutal red mountains of the Pilbara, the oldest section of the earth's surface and biggest iron-ore reserve in the world, are stunning. I used to work there, jackerooing on Corunna Downs station south of Marble Bar.

What else? Also in Australia, the view at sunset over the Leichhardt Massif from the highway between Cloncurry and Mount Isa, with the lights of the mines in the Isa on the horizon.
The Jewish quarter of Venice. The First Bezirk of Vienna.

reynoldsno1
14th Nov 2002, 20:03
However, when I die, I know that - if I've been very, very good - the place I end up will look very like one particular wadi near the village of Umq Bir in the Sultanate of Oman.

...and the journey should be like the drive to the Battle Training Camp at Saiq...

tony draper
14th Nov 2002, 20:51
Dont know about beautifull but the bottom end of the Red Sea around Aden always facinated me it was like a lunar landscape, or what we imagined a lunar landscape was like in those days.
I usta spend hours just looking at it through binocs when sailing down the Red Sea.

Whiskey Zulu
15th Nov 2002, 10:22
Island of La Digue (Seychelles) In the arms of my wife.

(soppy but oh so true)

http://www.seychelles.net/lilodge/

:)

AVIATECA
15th Nov 2002, 11:00
The Engligh Lake District, towards the end of September, when most of the tourists have gone home, and the Fells are turning a rusty golden colour as the bracken begins dying off for the winter.
The blue sky and perfectly white clouds are reflected in the still water of the lake (not Windermere, obviously), and the only sound is the bleating of sheep.

Of course, this is before an F 14 suddenly swoops down and frightens the s#1t out of you because you never hear them coming.....

OneWorld22
15th Nov 2002, 15:09
Sorry guys, but for me it's New York City at night.

DOC.400
15th Nov 2002, 19:43
Hot Tub Beach, Coromandel peninsula, North island NZ

DOC

Le Pen
16th Nov 2002, 08:00
Bonjour,

Have to say that the most beautiful place on earth for me is the road that leads to my home. After weeks away, the drive down the tree lined avenue. The absolute quiet after the taxi has driven off. Then the sound of the children laughing and playing as I let myself in the house. All these things go to make up the most beautiful place on earth for me.

And if thats not allowed....... Then it has to be any one of the sights in Iceland. From the breathtaking black sand beaches, the geysers to the glaciers... Just outstanding. :D

drop bags bar
17th Nov 2002, 01:23
Looking down and calling V1 at Lagos!!!

But seriously....

The whole world: Nosy Komba Island northern Madagascar.... nothing there you are completly alone with four other guests max!!!

Africa: Open Land rover Ulusaba game reserve Sabi Sands reserve S.A.
Europe: Southern france between Nice and Monaco
North America: Sea to Sky high way. Vancouver B.C
or anywhere in the Canadian rockies:D :D :D

compressor stall
18th Nov 2002, 00:44
Sitting outside my tent on the side of a frozen fjord north of Angmassalik, Greenland. The northern lights flickering like a blowing curtain in a summer night, and the icebergs stuck fast in the sea ice in the fjord glimmering in the moonlight.

And just about anywhere in NW Australia.

nika
18th Nov 2002, 01:51
I can honestly say that the Kimberley region of Western Australia is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

With its ancient rock gorges, spectacular bungle bungles, the stunning beaches of Broome, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

During the wet season, the electrical storms and the overwhelming smell of rain is magical. It is so true what they say, people who visit once, always return. You simply can't get it out of your blood.

http://www.westaust.net/kimberley.html

keith burtons vi
18th Nov 2002, 18:56
Isle of White

Gunship
18th Nov 2002, 21:46
Being a Patriotic South African ... I must go for the following :

Table Mountian (Cape Town) on a clear day after the South Easter blew away any smog that there was.

The Kalahari Gemsbok Park in the Northern Cape Province. Quite and clean and just beautiful with LOTS of game (if you know what to look for)

Nwanedi Nature Reserve (old Venda) - Limpopo Province (50 km south of Zimababwe border)

Opupa Falls - Namibia - Angolan border

HOME with the wife and kids near Cape Town

As Cities goes - belive it or not I fell in love with London - yes London ... ok , ok I know I am a South African ... but there is something there ... ;)

Airbanda
18th Nov 2002, 23:33
Outer Hebrides:- South Harris

Yorkshire : Wharfedale and way beyond from Otley Chevin

France: Mont Blanc and gondolas to Pont Hellbronner