PDA

View Full Version : NOW! That's what I call the Best cover versions ever.

Grim Reaper 14
30th Oct 2002, 12:17
"How will I know" - Whitney Houston (don't care if someone else did it before her), covered by The Lemonheads (on the 'b-side of "If I could talk I'd tell you"). Fan-farkin-tastic. But then The 'heads have always done covers well.

spud's on the job
30th Oct 2002, 12:43
agree with that, with their cover of Mrs Robinson

Warren Rabbit
30th Oct 2002, 12:51
Lemonheads version of Mrs Robinson crossed my mind as something to put on the "worst cover ever" thread, but I decided not to overrate its importance. I can't let its mention on the "best covers ever" pass without comment though. Talentless, tuneless dross.

Hang on, don't tell me, there's irony involved, right? :rolleyes:

kopbhoy2
30th Oct 2002, 12:54
Ozzy Osbourne's version of 'Staying Alive' is great...and Rolf Harris' 'Stairway to heaven'. So many people get annoyed by this version but it's just a laugh!

Irish singer Jack L ( http://www.jacklukeman.com ) did a version of Kylie's 'Can't get you out of my head' which is brilliant too. I'll try and find a link to it....

ceebs
30th Oct 2002, 13:34
A few candidates here for my money:-

The Stranglers - Walk On By

The Damned - Eloise

Therapy - Gimme gimmie gimme (a man after midnight) (yes THAT Abba song!)

Oddest cover probably would be Tori Amos doing Smells like teen spirit. Intersting take on it, but im still a bit undecided about it.

Bengt Engel
30th Oct 2002, 13:44
what about Travis - Hit me baby one more time.....

EI_Sparks
30th Oct 2002, 14:17
"Sweet child of mine" covered by Sheryl Crow.
"The tide is high", covered by Blondie.
And I don't know if it counts, but the Corrs did a version of "Dreams" with Mick Fleetwood that was just fantastic - he went off into a drum duet for a few minutes with Caroline Corr and nearly forgot to finish the song :D

And then there's "Nobody does it better", covered by an underknown local band who really should get more recognition :)

kopbhoy2
30th Oct 2002, 14:32
Tori Amos..yeah that version of '...teen spirit' is amazing, she released an album of covers recently called 'Strange Little Girl' which featured more covers. Most bizarre was her take on Slayer's 'Raining Blood'!

steamchicken
30th Oct 2002, 15:22
the first time I heard the Travis/Britney one I didn't recognise the song for some time..shows it was a truly great cover really.

DuckDogers
30th Oct 2002, 16:10
Thought the fololowing were very good:

Animal Ant Farm: Smooth Criminal

Wheatus: Little Respect

Not sure about Britney Spears' 'I love Rock and Roll', but the video is certainly worth a gander with those rather decent leather trousers and little black tops.

30th Oct 2002, 23:06
Anyone who's seen the Australian Pink Floyd show - The Official Pink Floyd tribute band will know what I mean on this!

Some of the tunes they cover are, IMHO, better than Pink Floyd play em!

Don't know if that's possible, but the voices in my head seem to agree........

Hagbard the Amateur
30th Oct 2002, 23:23
"I Will Survive" by Cake

Takes the song in another direction with style

DC Meatloaf
31st Oct 2002, 03:34
I second the Cake nomination.

Soul Asylum's "Sexual Healing" is also classic.

Just thinking of Dave Pirner wailing "Bayyyyyyyyyybeeeeeee..." at the start is cracking me up.

Who has control?
31st Oct 2002, 11:17
Shocking Blue's (or was it Shocking Pink??) cover of 'House of the Rising Sun' - absolutely stunning!

john du'pruyting
31st Oct 2002, 11:24
Steve Harley and Cockney Rebels version of Here comes the Sun wins my vote:cool:

LGW Vulture
31st Oct 2002, 11:37
Hendrix version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower".

Absolutely peerless.

Nuff Said!