PDA

View Full Version : MRI scans

Lost_luggage34
30th Oct 2002, 09:37
Anyone here ever had one ? Have one scheduled next week and I am very concerned - probably more about the results.

Have heard that they are quite claustraphobic although you can take your favourite CD. Lots of banging noises whilst the magnets in the doughnut do their job.

Any experiences would be good to hear.

Cheers

Bird Strike
30th Oct 2002, 10:02
No big deal really! Keep your eyes closed, or take the eye masks along with you. You can take ear plugs. I was given eye masks and ear muffs. I am claustrophobic but didn't panic or feel awful, mainly due to keeping my eyes closed and having the eye masks on.

I hope your resilts don't show anything nasty!

moleslayer
30th Oct 2002, 10:44
I was in yesterday........nothing to it. :cool:

Some find it a bit panicky if you suffer from claustrophobia, its a bit like being inside a dustbin whilst a team of rugby players outside beat the $hite out of it.:D
You get a heavy pair of David Clarkes to wear, and they will pipe through your fave CD.

I just dozed off.........night Tenerife !!

Lou Scannon
1st Nov 2002, 09:12
No guarantees either way sport. Wait until the results are known and the consultant has spoken before assuming anything.

All the very best in the meantime-and let us know how things are.

sr106
3rd Nov 2002, 16:35
MRI scans are far from safe!!
Especially when using contrast-agents.
There have been numerous reports on weird things
happening in MRI maschines, which cannot be attributed to claustraphobia.
Tinnitus patients have reported a worsening
of their condition despite wearing perfect
ear protection.
Generally speaking, MRI uses a very strong static magnetic field (usually around 1.5T.), rapidly switching gradients (around 40mT/m) and HF transmitters ( around 63 MHz and 15 kilowatts of power, depending on the main field).
The idea is to excite the water protons by using
a very strong Impulse so that they spin due to the
Larmour frequency of 63 MHz at 1.5T..

It is an open secret that imaging conditions
can trigger epileptic seizures in healthy patients,
although this is extremly rare.
Furthermore, the pulsed EMF (electromagnetic field) ALTERS the intact blood-brain barrier(BBB).
(change in permeability).The contrast agent (=Dye) which consists of
the highly toxic REM (rare earth metall) Gadolinium enters the brain where it remains for a very long time as the chelates release the Gd-ions causing brain tissue necrosis (the thing it was actually designed for to detect and not to cause!!)
Have you ever seen an EEG (brainwaves)after a
brain scan. Well, the brain has added a few new
ones and altered the original ones (at least temporariliy) due to the breakdown of the homeostasis of the calcium ions of the cells which
alters the depolarisation process significantly.

There have also been reports of cognitive impairment following a scan. Think of the spins
of the water protons in your brain as being
equivalent to multiple brain concussions!!

Remember when X-rays were used in pregnant
women and in exclusive shoe shops?
Well, this is the repeat of history.
But this time its EMF!!

MRI is a wonderful diagnostic imaging tool, but
it is far from safe!!
The benefit must outweigh the potential risk!!
Unfortunately, nowadays 90% of the performed scans
do not fulfill this criteria.

Next time you are scheduled for a scan think about this very carefully.
During a scan your brain heats up by at least 1 degree celsius. But in fact it might be a lot more owing to hot spots.
For me its too late, but think twice before you put your head in a fancy microwave oven( 2450 Mhz and 900 watts vs. 63 Mhz at 15000 watts).

Croqueteer
6th Nov 2002, 20:30
I was told that MRI scans are non invasive, and regardless of sr106s post I still believe that. I had one for a slipped disc causing severe scyatica, and the results of the scan are superb allowing the surgeon to make minimum cuts to accurately home in on the trouble spot. I had mine 9yrs ago and have not had a spot of bother since. HOWEVER, don't be like me and be the big brave boy, if offered, take vallium. I refused (lying still in a pipe for 50mins? no probs.) and I was verging on panic most off the time because you feel trapped! Even now, if my wife pulls the bedclothes tightly over my arms I can feel the panic rising. Please tke me seriously, as I had no idea it would cause me any trouble. Best of luck.