PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth's Comet damaged?

DamienB
30th Oct 2002, 09:10
Seen a post on the Flypast forum that the DH.88 had its first flight on Monday, but gear failed on landing... VintageATCO, any more info?

vintage ATCO
30th Oct 2002, 10:59
All too true, I'm afraid. RH main gear collapse on landing. There are a few photos on my web site.

CamelPilot
30th Oct 2002, 11:15
Not another accident! Seems it is fated. But I am sure they will get it mended again!

foxmoth
30th Oct 2002, 11:54
How much damage? Steve, can't see any photos of the aftermath, any chance?

treadigraph
30th Oct 2002, 13:00
Great pics or a beautiful aeroplane Steve, fingers crossed that the damage is minimal...

vintage ATCO
30th Oct 2002, 16:26
In deference to the Collection I didn't feel inclined to post any photos after the accident.

The RH prop was bent; RH wing tip ran along the ground; damage to the lower part of the RH engine cowling. Not sure about the engine itself.

Can anyone remember when it last flew? I know it suffered an accident at Hatfield, wasn't that the RH main gear collapse?

So sad. We've been waiting all year for it to fly! :(

DamienB
30th Oct 2002, 16:39
Seems the poor old girl has a history of the undercarriage collapsing - just finished reading about it being trialled by the RAF, and they had two incidents of this - selling it off as scrap the second time!

Hope she isn't badly damaged and can be returned to the air in less than the 9 years it's taken since last time!

jumpseater
30th Oct 2002, 17:02
I can recall seeing the accident from the top of the Hatfield flight test hanger, and I believe I recall that it was the rh main gear failure. The accident was at relatively low speed, but I cannot recall the aircraft flying subsequently, as BAe didnt want to spend any more money on it. Again from memory which may not be correct, I think it was donated to Shuttleworth for static display as at that time they didnt want the a/c written off in any further accidents.

Around the same time another a/c Black Magic was allegedly being restored to flying status, anyone know what happened there?

treadigraph
30th Oct 2002, 22:21
I think 'CSS was always owned by Shuttleworth, it just lived at Hatfield under BAe's wing as the runway was a tad short at OLd Warden. I was under the impression that the accident at Hatfield was a wind-induced groundloop - or was that instigated by the gear collapse?

Black Magic ('CSP?) was being rebuilt by John Pierce at Chirk for a while around 1980 or so, though I think some of the parts were destroyed in a fire at that time (?); last I can recall is that Nick and Safaya Hemming were continuing the rebuild somewhere in the UK. Hope that someone is still on the case!

BEagle
31st Oct 2002, 06:33
http://www.blackmagic.abelgratis.com details the progress on G-ACSP at Derby.

Sorry to hear about Grosvenor House - really hope that the damage isn't too severe and that she'll be repaired soon!

Dr Jekyll
31st Oct 2002, 06:45
I believe the prolonged grounding was due to the closure of Hatfield, prompting the owners to wait until the Old Warden runway could be extended. Not because of repairs.

vintage ATCO
31st Oct 2002, 07:29
Yes, that's right, it's been waiting for the runway extension. Shuttleworth's Comet has been regularly taxied at displays for sometime, and at the DH Moth Rally held at Old Warden in 2001, it actually got it's tail in the air along the runway.

The delay in flying it this year was just waiting for the right combination of weather conditions and pilot availability.

bottieburp
3rd Nov 2002, 09:23
The Comet is there for all to see in Hangar 8. Fly in and have a look for yourselves.

Whilst no engineer, I am told that the damage is not too serious. It might even be possible to straighten the prop. Lets hope so because they don't appear to have a spare.

All the rest of it is pretty straightforward and well within their capabilities - and their metalwork subcontractors (SkySport?) - to get it flying for next season.

THe wingtip will need to be opened up in order to fully investigate the extent of the damage there. Again - it isn't too serious and made of tree. Their craftsmanship in wood is legendary.

It will hopefully move into the workshops as soon as the Avro 19 is out.

Fingers crossed!

BB

Who has control?
4th Nov 2002, 08:33
OH NO!! My favourite aeroplane's been bent!!

I hope she gets well soon.

The accident at Hatfield was a ground loop. In those days she had tail wheel rather than skid for operations off of tarmac and the tailwheel was castoring. After the accident, the tailwheel was made lockable.