PDA

View Full Version : so - who's to replace Angus Deayton??

Bev Bevan
29th Oct 2002, 18:59
Well.. I guess we shouldnt be surprised that the BBC have just announced that Angus Deayton will no longer be presenting the satirical news quiz "Have I Got News For You" with immediate effect, following the recent lurid newspaper reports on his private life ;) ;) ;)

Question is.. who is going to replace him???

Answers on the back of a used cocaine-soiled piece of foil....:D :D :D

(edited for poor speling and; grammar)

BRL
29th Oct 2002, 19:03
John Leslie :p

or Johnathon Ross, he'd be great also Johny Vaughn.

Firestorm
29th Oct 2002, 20:10
I'd move Hislop in to the Question Masters Chair, and bring Jeremy Vine in on the Right (as you view the audience) wing.

Then Deayton could go on to Mertons' team as a guest (inside Left) and Jeffery Archer inside right, if he' outside. I f you get what I mean.:)

Who would you like to see in the guests' positions?

Dr Jekyll
29th Oct 2002, 20:10
How about John Sergeant to replace Angus?

pax anglia
29th Oct 2002, 20:19
I know he departed this Mortal Vale of Tears some years ago, but out of sheer devilment I suggest that pompous old fraud Malcolm Muggeridge (Saint Mugg) would be the man for the job.

Pity Stanley Unwin has gone as well.......

tony draper
29th Oct 2002, 20:24
The program was original and very funny, I think it has been running to long , it seems a bit tired now, I don; bother watching it anymore.
Seems a boring sameness about it, get some guest you can safely take the **** out of, rehearsed banter betwixt Angus and the teams leaders.
Time they came up with something new I think.

Loki
29th Oct 2002, 20:24
I just think it`s an outrage that the beeb think he has to go.

SLF
29th Oct 2002, 21:28
I'm with you there, Loki, I think the BBC has completely mis-read the situation. :(

I don't have the figures, but I bet there's a significant increase in viewers following each "revelation" in the press, and as for discipline, I think the team captains are managing it quite well themselves - there's a definite squirming in the centre chair. :cool:

Unfortunately, I guess he'll have to go - the Torygraph mentioned Stephen Fry for the role today, that would be an interesting move...

READY MESSAGE
29th Oct 2002, 22:18
Think Dr Jekyll maybe closest.......

Andrew Marr, BBC Political Correspondant, is tipped to be moving into the quiz masters chair.

Wait and see.....

Anthony Carn
29th Oct 2002, 22:29
Mark Lamaar to replace Angus.

Paul Merton essential in his usual spot.

Ian Hislop -- not really fussed.

Apart from that, some more suitable guests is what's really needed !

GustyOrange
29th Oct 2002, 22:52
I think Jonathon Ross would be a terrific replacement.

I agree with the comments about the quality of the guests.

The so called commedian who was on last week was absolutely rubbish.

Gusty

tony draper
29th Oct 2002, 22:59
Stephan Fry, hmmm interesting, I have seen him interviewed on a few chat shows, in my book he is one of the wittyest men out there.
As I understand it HaveI got News was rehearsed ,so the apparent add libs werent always what they seemed.
What about Paul Merton.?

Captain Stable
29th Oct 2002, 23:07
Since Chris Tarrant is intending to quit WWTBAM after the current series, I think he would have to be favourite!

Keef
29th Oct 2002, 23:15
Pity Deayton's going - he had a certain wit.

I agree with the view that some of the "comedians" they've had as guests recently have not been one bit funny. Some of the politicians, though, had a great sense of humour.

You want it when?
29th Oct 2002, 23:19
Truth - Angus will be missed, how about Mark Lamarr or Jack Dee taking the hot seat? As for Merton - agreed he is good, but not a patch on Bil Hicks, now sadly time expired.

andrewc
30th Oct 2002, 00:12
I hope the production company tell the BBC to stick it
where the monkey hid his nuts and move the show to
ITV...

-- Andrew

Grainger
30th Oct 2002, 08:58
There can only be one winner....

Boris Johnson !

Can you imagine the mayhem ??? :D

tony draper
30th Oct 2002, 09:17
What about Jack Dee?.

Anthony Carn
30th Oct 2002, 09:23
Boris was definitely one of the best victims we've seen ! On a par with Paula Yates !

A lot of the fun, to me, is the verbal destruction of the guests; Any Deayton replacement should have lethal sarchasm.

What's the name of the bloke who does University Challenge ? :confused: He's a very tough political interviewer if that counts for anything.

Eric
30th Oct 2002, 09:43
Stephen Fry's more your radio 4 host, far too clever for tv.

I think the best victim was Lynne Perrie (Ivy off t'Street), with her coruscating wit she'd bring satire to a new level. ;)

fatboy slim
30th Oct 2002, 09:44
Guest should include the likes of Peter Kay and Chris Moyles...

I'm backing Stephen Fry for chairman...

Nopax,thanx
30th Oct 2002, 10:52
I'd vote for Andrew Marr too; he's got the knowledge, already works for the beeb and is shaping up well in the witty department - only trouble would be how could he host the show and do the news reports as well?

pulse1
30th Oct 2002, 11:07
I thought that the end of Angus was in sight when Christine Hamilton was a recent guest. Angus kept referring to her "disgraced former Tory MP husband". She eventually hit back by suggesting that, if her faithful husband was "disgraced", what word would you use to decribe Angus. He had no answer but his expression obviously conceded the point.

P1

Octopussy
30th Oct 2002, 11:09
:( It's a ridiculous decision - his conduct out of work is entirely irrelevant (he's hardly set himself up as a "family" entertainer) and I think it's a naive and stupid decision on the part of the BBC.

If there absolutely has to be a replacement, I'd vote for Jack Dee - he has the right mix of wit, sarcasm and deadpan humour.

I adore Jonathan Ross, but I don't think he'd be right for it - he would start competing with Paul Merton for the gags and it would disturb the balance of the programme.

By the way, Hislop is completely underrated! It wouldn't work without him, mark my words....

stagger
30th Oct 2002, 11:16
Apparently Merton is going to take Deayton's spot for the next show - should be quite amusing but unlikely to be permanent.

Here's a radical suggestion....

Bill Clinton

btmtdi
30th Oct 2002, 11:58
Paxman would be my choice

paulc
30th Oct 2002, 12:26
How about Clive Anderson - very witty, sharp comments when he had his own chat show.

Failing that - Tony Blair as long as he gives up the day job ;)

rover2701
30th Oct 2002, 13:37
Think some of you missed the point. Deayton was sacked because he became the news. Its a satirical programme which pokes fun at the guests and people in the news for whatever reason. How could you have a member of the panel and the chairman to boot who presides over this and is the butt of the satire and lampooning. He becomes the show.

As for a replacement Jonathon Ross would be superb and would inject some much needed freshness into the show.