PDA

View Full Version : Dambusters Programme on Chanel 5 tonight

PPRuNe Pop
29th Oct 2002, 17:10
Tonight on Chanel 5. "Dambusters Revealed"

Watch out for "Spud" Boorer. He joined Barnes Wallis at Vickers in 1936 and worked with him throughout.

He is to be seen EVERY day at Brooklands where he is still active. Hi latest (actually about 4 years ago I think) completion is the Wellington that was fished out of Loch Ness a good few years ago. Great guy to talk to.

Jhieminga
29th Oct 2002, 17:47
'Spud' Boorer also gives lectures sometimes on his time with Vickers. If you're ever given the chance, go and listen to him as it will definitively be worth your time!

A great person.

BEagle
29th Oct 2002, 20:56
Good factional documentary!

Some unbelievable historical anecdotes from those brave guys who actually who did it.

..and even the name of Gibson's dog was mentioned. Don't tell the PC police!

tony draper
29th Oct 2002, 21:06
Indeed excellent documentry.
Something struck me though, wouldn't a large cylindrical weight rotating at 500rpm,hung below the aircraft have gyroscopic effect.?
I know it wasn't spun up untill shortly before the drop, but still hmmmmm.:confused:

ID90
29th Oct 2002, 21:29
Well done to C5 for that. Despite the fact that the story has been re-told many many times, that was the first time that I have heard Ken Brown refer to his crew member's prediction that 'those two won't be coming back' as they climbed aboard their aircraft or the fact that some of the groundcrew were in tears (upon his crew's return) because of the great losses suffered by 617.

CamelPilot
30th Oct 2002, 11:21
It certainly was a good programme. Very well thought out and described.

No matter how many times you hear about the Dambusters, and 617, there always seems to be a bit more we didn't know about. Great stuff!

The reference to the non PC term N****r was refreshing in that it was actually said on the programme - and quite right too. Fact is fact no matter how you try dress it up. It is part of our history and should not be messed about with. It does make me wild!! :mad: