PDA

View Full Version : living with unemployment

wilber burroughs
29th Oct 2002, 16:43
Ahhh, I can hear some guys already. Oh no, not another misery story.
Well, kind of.
But not completely.
My company closed down a year ago today. At first it was kind of nice, not having to early rise or late night end. The wife was happy then too.
Six months later past companions had all but vanished, just two found jobs out of 138...my point is that with the world political pressure it will be a while before things turn around, unless you try and remedy it.
So, two pilots and I went out and found an investor ( yeah, sounds easy, I know ) and now, after ten months, we are starting a small charter outfit with a single 50 seat turboprop.
Again, my point is that instead of whiling and wasting away at the wife, at one another, at your own frustration, do something
about it. Your frustration CAN be turned into a powerful tool.
Any comments are sure welcome

kinsman
29th Oct 2002, 17:20
Good for you I hope it all goes well for you!

Firestorm
29th Oct 2002, 19:16
Good luck. I hope we're not in competition!!;)

JP4
29th Oct 2002, 19:38
Congratulation and I wish you the best!

JP

fireflybob
29th Oct 2002, 21:21
Brilliant! Well done and the best of luck.

Best philosophy about unemployment is "Don't get mad, get even!".

Nice to hear of pilots running/owning an air transport concern - when you see the way some of the beancounters run other companies I cannot believe pilots would do any worse!

Smokie
30th Oct 2002, 09:35
Top man, brilliant ! Hope its a great success.:)

ehwatezedoing
31st Oct 2002, 01:42
I think that Air Transat started this way in the late 80's, with former Québecair crews/employees.

So the concept is certainly not a bad one :D

Blacksheep
1st Nov 2002, 04:21
I expect to be made redundant soon. I've already discovered that my chances of getting another job are pretty slim, I'm too old to get another job, yet too young and too poor to retire. I'll have to go in for self-employment, but find the prospect rather daunting. So its very encouraging to hear that there really can be life after employment. Since engineering skills aren't much in demand, and I don't have much money, in my case it'll probably mean leaving aviation altogether; but its nice to know that unemployment isn't necessarily the end. Thanks.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Smokie
2nd Nov 2002, 12:29
Wilber,

You are going to be very busy if you get in with Net Jets as well !:confused:

wilber burroughs
2nd Nov 2002, 16:53
smokie, thanks for the observation, but no need to worry, netjets isn´t for me at this time.

Willit Run
2nd Nov 2002, 19:34
I know this is no record, but i'm on my 4th airline in 17 years. My secret is to be marketable in another area. Turn your hobby into a business. Learn to make money in another way besides flying. If you don't have a hobby, get educated in another area to fall back on. Have had to use the unemployment system twice, it ain't no fun!!!

micoyam
3rd Nov 2002, 20:12
Hi Wilber
I’m in the same situation as you unemployed one year ago. The way was very hard for me during these days but fortunately I have a friends like you and a good project to continuos fighting every day with optimist.
I think that I know you is that possible?
:p