PDA

View Full Version : touchdown

pilots pal 81
29th Oct 2002, 16:37
Just wondering if any of you have ever booked a holiday with the company 'touchdown' the staff travel agents. I'm thinking of booking a trip but have heard a few stories of people being let down by them?

Any info would be great.
Thanks

FormerFlyer
30th Oct 2002, 09:05
Have used Touchdown several times now. To be honest they're much better at just the flight only part. If you're taking hotacc with them too then do some research on line to ensure you're getting what you want.

My only probs have been in NAS where the hotel (Hol. Inn Sunspree) was on "wrong" side of island ie: south miles from Nassau & Paradise Island and the hotel didn't have the reservation - but a call in the middle of the night to Touchdown put that right on day 2.

And in HKG the hotel was in middle of nowhere but think that was more boyf's fault for being too cheap and not researching it!

All flights have been confirmed v fast and have always beaten fares from anywhere else inc. ITIC/Airperx (which are a pile of pants generally!) - how can you beat £330 to BNE on CX?!:D

corsaman
30th Oct 2002, 09:31
I've used them twice for trips to the Far East - confirmation wasn't until around 10 days beforehand, and they did all possible to get near the dates we wanted, including flying AMS-BKK (via Del) instead of ex-LHR. However, we did have to juggle the itinerary from our original choice - both were two-centres, and we had to reverse the order. The staff were helpful and both trips were excellent value:)

lord melchett
30th Oct 2002, 11:01
Problem with Touchdown was that you could never get to speak to anybody - all you ever got was someones voicemail and they never returned your calls. Stopped using them after that but they have moved to Horley premises since then so dont know if they are any better. Have used Airperks or Interline bookers whatever theyre called and they are great - get to speak to a pleasant and helpful human being every time. Good luck!

topdog1
30th Oct 2002, 11:34
I have used touchdown in the past but have found a new company called Airperx, they are very good, everything is confirmed straight away and you can enquire and book online, very competetive prices for flights, car hire and hotel, I have used them quite alot lately.
www.airperx.co.uk but you have to be registered to book but you can check out the prices live online.

Tiger
31st Oct 2002, 18:31
Used Touchdown for number of holidays this year. Dubai, Portugal, Mauritius and had no problems. The DXB (Jan), FAO (Easter) holidays were hotel only booking, and MRU (Begining of June Bank holiday) was the full job. They do confirm around the 14 day mark before departure and I had no problems.

As for Airperx. I have not used them, but I have checked out their site and I am registered with them. The detail you provide includes your employer and the password as such is sent via your employer as with any brochures they send you.
Airperx do have some good offers. But they go. Confirmed flights LON-MIA with BA or VS £174 plus tax £234.80 rtn. However, a lot of flights they use are not direct so watch for that. The other thing I noticed with a DXB holiday for some very low price. The flights were via Sofia ex Balkan.
They are not always cheap either. They are part of the OTC group, which run holiday web sites for travel agents, Thomas Cook etc as well as general public. Checking out the hotel only deals between the 2 sites shows a difference of only £3-4 per night. See Expedia as well.

Oh yeah and Interlinebookers.com

crewstart.com has a section of Interline companies as well.

Have fun where ever you go :)

VIKING9
1st Nov 2002, 18:11
I've used Touchdown several times for trips to the Far and Middle East and have to say I've never had any problems. Prices for flights are very good indeed. As a comparison, flight only LHR-MLE via CMB through a travel agent would be in the region of £800.00 sterling per person. I got 2 return adult tickets AND full board accommodation with transfers for £1400.00 sterling.

However, I've just returned from TPA using www.Priceline.co.uk and got 3 return adult tickets with US Airways for £720.00 sterling. Give them a go, they get my thumbs up.

pilots pal 81
2nd Nov 2002, 09:07
Thanks for all the advice. I'll checkout all the others you have suggested before booking.;)