PDA

View Full Version : Delta Airlines - Any good?

cargosales
29th Oct 2002, 08:52
Hi all,

I have to go to the States next month. It's quite tempting to use Delta as they are a new partner on VS's FF card and offering double miles until December. Question is, are they any good?

Has anyone used Delta recently for transatlantic flights? (Will probably have to be economy :-( at least one way)

All comments welcome guys

Thanks

CS

gofer
29th Oct 2002, 14:47
Depends on your standards of good.

Its notVS & not BA. On the US scale... personally prefer Continental, Delta tend to fly older planes, but don't wreck them any quicker or slower than the others. If its a good deal go for it - they won't intentionally try to kill or antagonise you - but some of the crew may be older than your grandmother. True of most US airlines though.

Personally my Delta frequent flyer miles let me also go Continental or better still Air France. But then I'm a francophone, not a francophobe.

It all comes back to the quality of the deal....:)

big.al
29th Oct 2002, 15:11
I flew MAN-ATL on Delta MD-11 in April, then connected up with ATL-MCO on a Delta 767. Did the exact same return journey four weeks later.

Shame that the new 777 had been substituted with an MD-11 but apart from being a bit noisy I can't really fault anything. The whole return airfare was only £324.

The cabin crew were very professional, helpful etc. Good legroom on all sectors, food ok. Generally is was just good, but I was only in economy!

Crepello
1st Nov 2002, 08:12
I've recently flown transatlantic with VS, UA, CO and DL, and I'd rank them in that order.

My opinion of Delta: Operations were slick, seating fine, catering inoffensive, crew reasonably attentive, if stronger on personalities than looks! (90s man speaks... ;) )

However, the inflight entertainment [economy class] was almost worthless:
- No personal TVs
- Some projectors poorly maintained and difficult to see.
- Sound systems all used the old air-pressure headsets, hopeless for music and uncomfortable to wear.
- Poor movies, heavily edited.
In all, I'd never been more bored inflight.

For these reasons, I'd pay extra to avoid flying DL again.

[Edited for grammar, Friday mornings are always difficult :rolleyes: ]

moku
5th Nov 2002, 13:31
I have had good and bad with DELTA. If you are flying on an
ID90 or something simliar they are great. As a fare paying PAX a while ago I got food poisoning at the airport so bad that I was taken to the hospital. Delta made me pay the extra $550 to fly out the next day even though I had a hospital admitance form.
All calls to ticket office were answered with a we don't give a crap attitude.... I have flown on them a few times since and that attitude is there when anything goes wrong. I have never paid for a Delta ticket again and never will. Flying transatlantic from the UK you can't beat Virgin..
Domestic US, well they are all as bad as each other with the exception of Continental who always do an outstanding job!

Tiger
5th Nov 2002, 14:14
moku

try claiming on your travel insurance for the $550 you were charged. They usually cover medical occurances, and you seem to have all the paper work, should be easy.

knobbygb
6th Nov 2002, 16:25
big.al, the MAN-ATL flight returned to the 777 as of 4th Nov. I believe 3 of the LGW flights are MD-11, the other is 777.

I've flown transatlantic with most of the US majors, and I found Delta to be no worse than any other. Whenever I've been travelling they seem to manage to be on time more than the others. For US domestic I prefer Delta. Again, on-time performance seems better (although this is probably just luck), check-in is usually very efficient and the flights never seem as full (again, probably luck).

My choice in economy at the moment has to be US Airways. The infight entertainment is better than the others (on-demand movies) on the A330 only.

cargosales, where are you going and where from? Convenience of routing/connections would probably be the ultimate decider for me.