PDA

View Full Version : Occupational Health and Safety coverage of cabin crew

McGinty
29th Oct 2002, 02:55
I am undertaking some research on behalf of a flight attendants union here in New Zealand regarding the coverage of cabin crew under the national laws of various countries regarding workers' occupational health and safety.

In New Zealand, as in many other countries, the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) laws that apply to the majority of workers do not apply to workers on board operational aircraft. Airlines tended to be made exempt when OHS laws were introduced.

It is only in the last year or so that a number of governments have begun to pay attention to the fact that the welfare of pilots and cabin crew with regard to personal health and safety is not being looked after particularly well by Civil Aviation Authorites (e.g the FAA).

These aviation authorites appear to be fixated on aircraft safety, and accordingly seem to overlook flight crew accidents that are unrelated to aircraft safety, and matters such as illness, stress and fatigue among crew members.

I am looking for anyone who can help me with the following questions:

1. Other than the (US) Association of Flight Attendants Report cited in the following Internet news item

http://t-directfolio.cs.net/rfi091300.html

are there any other reports which document the actual injury and sickness rates of flight attendants? There seems to be a relative lack of data about the overall accident and sickness rates of flight attendants, and I would like to know if more data exists.

and 2. Does anyone have any comments about how increased OHS oversight of the health and safety of flight attendants is working in those countries where some degree of OHS oversight is being introduced?

If anyone wants to send me a private e-mail on this matter, then please contact me at

[email protected]

or at [email protected]

Many thanks for your help,

Colin Boyd

--------------------
Colin Boyd,
Visiting Professor of Management,
School of Business,
University of Auckland,
Auckland, New Zealand

flyingdutchman
29th Oct 2002, 17:52
As for the U.K.:

Have you checked the CAA site ?

http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/search.asp

You could also check with labour organisations, via:

www.cc89.org.uk

www.bassa.co.uk

or, perhaps even better, go directly to the company itself:

Dr. Sandra Mooney
Director of Health Services
British Airways plc
Waterside
PO Box 365
Harmondsworth
UB7 0GB
United Kingdom

but I fear they may not be too keen to reveal such sensitive information.

Good luck and hopefully you'll report your findings here !