View Full Version : Help!- Mil to Civ Conversion?

Training Risky
28th Oct 2002, 16:03
I hope regular users of this forum won't just sigh, roll eyes and think it's another bone question (which it probably is), but here goes...

I have accumulated approx 400 hrs total on military FW and heavy rotary ac. But have had my career abruptly curtailed by capacity related shortcomings (I got cXXXXXd!). I am considering continuing my flying career in a commercial sense, but suspect that 400 hrs is not what an airline/charter company want. I already have a PPL with FAA IR and the old IMC rating (both out of date)

Can anyone out there help with advice on the best courses for someone with my experience to take at which schools, UK or elsewhere, and how much an ATPL could cost?!
Also which airlines, if any, offer full/partial sponsorship for military trained pilots?

ANY info would be gratefully received! Thanks.

redsnail
28th Oct 2002, 18:29
I believe sponsorships are a bit thin on the ground in the UK. Britannia are in the process of selecting the few as we type.

I would wade around the caa srg website for the conversion info. It depends on if you got "wings" or any thing like that. If you haven't then it will be an expensive process.
Most are advising the modular route at the moment to minimise the risk to yourself. 400 hours isn't bad, if they are turbine hours then all the better. At the moment minimums are running about 1000-1500 hours with turbine time being very useful.
To cap,
Medical, shouldn't be a problem.
ATPL exams. 14 of them.
IR, 15 hours min if you have an ICAO one already.
CPL.