PDA

View Full Version : Question on new pop up ads

Capt. Amazing
28th Oct 2002, 15:27
Lately I will be in the middle of viewing a web page and a pop up graphic will appear smack dab in the middle of the screen. There is no way to close it because if you click on it it takes you to its web page. The way I normally get rid of them is to reload the page.They are not always the same advert. They are also not the usual type of pop up we are all used to (the ones you click on and close).

I am using the following programme's:
Web Washer
Adsubtract
Adaware
McaFee virus scanner
Windows xp
latest internet explorer

Any suggestions? Please explain as if I am four.:D :confused: :rolleyes:

Cello
28th Oct 2002, 16:12
Amazing

Horrid little b*ggers they are too! The ones your talking about are little javascipt applications made to look like whatever the vendor wants it to. A common one is where the pop-up window reveals that you have a virus and your system is now infected - and it looks just like a normal Windows warning box.

The only surefire way I've discovered to get rid of them quickly and harmlessly (avoiding clicking on the d@mn thing...) is:

(NB this is for Win2000, but should work across the major PC/Win versions)

1. Press CTRL+ALT+Delete all at the same time
2. Up will pop a Windows Security dialogue with several buttons to click
3. One of the Buttons is 'Task Manager'. Click on it.
4. You will then see a small window which lists all the applications that are running
5. One of them will be your errant pop-up
6. Highlight the offending article and click on 'End Task' at the bottom of the window
7. Close the Task Manager
8. Rejoice at your uncluttered screen, free of persistant advert

Hope this helps - it works for me anyway.

Cello

Capt. Amazing
29th Oct 2002, 01:40
Excellent!!! Thank you sir , you are a prince among men.:)

bughunta
31st Oct 2002, 15:28
Another method that usually works is to right-click in the box at the very bottom of the screen where the pop-up is named. There will be one there just now that says "Professional Pilots R..." Depending on the number of Windows you have open there may be several of these. Having right-clicked on the troublesome one, there will be an option to Restore, Minimise or Close. You decide...;)

Danny
1st Nov 2002, 10:35
There are no Pop-Up adverts on PPRuNe. If you have a window open to a different weebsite, even if it is reduced to the menu bar it will still be reloading pop-ups from that site.

I repeat, there are no pop-up ads on PPRuNe. Make sure you close windows to other sites you may have visited when you browse PPRuNe and you should not get any pop-up ads.

Cello
1st Nov 2002, 10:42
Sorry, but I didn't read any implication in Amazing's post that suggested that there were Pop-up ads on Pprune.

I understood his post to refer to the myriad of sites that do exploit this technique - particularly the horrid ones that are written in JavaScript - sometimes using full-screen settings or putting the 'focus' on the horrid ad.

I know only too well about these matters - I've worked in the Internet industry for over 15 years (making me a veteran unfortunately - but not by age!).

I can only support your statement - I have never seen any pop-up ads anywhere on Pprune.

Cello