View Full Version : calling all past oxford students!!.

liquidhockey
2nd May 2001, 12:09
Are there any past oxford students in here?
Ifso what do you think of it?
Where are you now?
how quickly did you get a job?
What are they like for helping you get a job afterwards?
Does the course cost around 30k?
Thanx in advance
Dave

batty
2nd May 2001, 14:23
Finished at Oxford middle of Febuary 2001. I enjoyed the course and was lucky enough to get a 737 jet job 5 weeks later, that is an exception rather than a rule!!!
It costs approx 50K now that NVQ tax relief has gone, so your 30K is a little optimistic! That is 50K if you pass everything first time as well. It cost me an extra £800.
Over all I would recommend the school but you definatly get what you put in to it.Work hard and you will have no problems but if you dont.....

bottle2throttle
2nd May 2001, 15:17
Anyone have any comments about the modular route?

------------------
Jesus, this bogy's all over me...........

liquidhockey
2nd May 2001, 15:30
is the modular route the one where you start already witha ppl and atpl ground exams?
is it the one which costs around 30k?

WHAT ARE OXFORD LIKE IN HELPING YOU GET YOUR FIRST JOB???
WHAT JOBS DO YOU GUYS FROM OXFORD HAVE??
cheers
Dave

GJB
2nd May 2001, 15:36
Liquidhockey:

If you have your PPL + night & IMC ratings, 150hours total time and 95P1, your writtens in the bag and a class 1 medical - you are in a position to start the CPL skills module, then progress to the IR. You will find schools offering these 2 modules for considerably less than £30k.

The modular route is where you can break the study into chunks, or 'modules' opposed top the full-time integrated course.

Which route do you choose? Well, it depends on your personal circumstances, hours you have etc etc.

Talk to as many schools directly and weigh up the pros & cons of each.

HollyDog
2nd May 2001, 17:13
You could always try :

[email protected]

tailscrape
2nd May 2001, 17:35
Dave,

In answer to your questions:

1: Yes I am Oxford and I am here.

2:I loved it.

3:I now fly a 757

4:4 months

5:Bad. Didn't help me get a job. But then again I never asked and got one anyhow.

6:No, it costs you circa 50k as Batty said.

Good luck.

p.s. Batty hows the smoky old 732 coming along? Drop me a mail.

er82
3rd May 2001, 14:42
I think Oxford is now slightly cheaper as all of the VFR flying is now being done in the States over a 3 month period. I am still at Oxford (8 months into the course), am self-sponsored, and already have a job lined up.

liquidhockey
3rd May 2001, 15:22
what are your prospects of getting that first job quickley compared with other schools???
When you say the price has gone down because the vfr flying is done in the usa does that mean it has become cheaper than the 50k£ i was quoted or is that the reduced figure?
Dave