View Full Version : JAA ATPL Exams info please!

Bodie
27th Oct 2002, 16:59
Hi folks

I've just completed the third frame of my ATPL groundschool with Bristol. Very happy so far, quite excited that the course content is well within my limited level of intellect!

Something that has been playing on my mind however are the progress tests, mainly because do not have a time scale. What I would like to do is set myself some kind of time frame to increase the stress levels and hopefully improve my chances of passing first time.

I would welcome some feedback from anyone who has been through the same process with regard to numbers of question and time scale in the actual exams, or perhaps could point any web pages on srg.org etc..

Thanks in advance
Bodie.

pilot007
27th Oct 2002, 19:21
http://abacus.forumforpilots.com

www.atpl.be

www.atpl101.com

FlyingForFun
28th Oct 2002, 08:40
Bodie,

I managed to pass all of the Module 1 exams without worrying about this until the brush-up. Once you get to Bristol, you'll be made very aware of which exams have tight time-scales, and you'll be given plenty of timed tests to do in the evenings. The main thing for now is to understand the material.

But, since you asked, there are two things you can do which will be a really big benefit when it comes to timed exams:

Learn the CRP5 properly - you should be able to read a question, and instantly know which CRP5 technique you need to use, and how to use it.

Learn the Jepp manual like the back of your hand. Read the introduction, and learn where to find important things like the list of definitions. Learn the order of each of the charts, and be able to find them quickly. Figure out a way of finding a given lat/long on the charts, bearing in mind that you won't have a huge desk to lay the chart on in the exam. Know where to find information about how to fill in flight plans. Know the order of the approach and departure plates, and be able to turn to one quickly when needed.

As long as you can do both of those, you'll be fine. If you can't, you'll struggle to complete the Gen Nav and the Flight Planning exams in time.

Oh yes, one other thing - don't try to re-arrange the Jepp into a more sensible order. They carry out random checks on the Jepps in the exams, and if your manual is checked you'll be given another manual to work with. If you're used to having your charts in a non-standard order and you get picked up for a check, you won't be able to use the substitute manual, which will be in the standard order.
Good luck!

FFF
--------------

faacfi
28th Oct 2002, 14:10
use the cd rom, do the tests with the cd rom then fill the progress test without cd rom.i worked like that.
meteo i can not stand.borring!the rest is very interesting.i have no real problem due to my pilot experience.

Bodie
28th Oct 2002, 15:47
Thanks for the replies. Feel free to keep em' coming!

Bodie

Troy McClure
30th Oct 2002, 22:40
Best way to put the pressure on is book some exams. That £20 alteration fee can be just enough to persuade you not to keep putting things back.