PDA

View Full Version : Souffles....

brockenspectre
27th Oct 2002, 12:41
OK y'all. I have a friend due to arrive from the USA on Thursday morning and during his visit I want to impress, casually, by fixin a souffle one evening (yeah, OK, he IS special can't you guess :D )!!

As a celiac my system can't process wheat/oats/rye/barley and I have been recommended to use rice or cornflower for the "roux" (the sauce base).

This apart .. really don't know why but I have never made a souffle before and feel nervous about doing so. I think 'cos my mother always used to say it was the ultimate test of a good cook!!! YIKES!!!

So ... anyone else terrified of makin em? Anyone with good tips for doing so? Recipes/flavours?

:D

P.S. I will ensure he thinks I am a good cook before attemptin ye soufflee, natch!!

P.P.S. I am intending practisin in the next couple of days hence my plea now!

AerBabe
27th Oct 2002, 12:57
Two top tips... Make sure the eggs are as fresh as possible... and don't over-whisk them. :)

Ah forget all that fannying around in the kitchen. Buy one from tescos and stick a sprig of fresh parsley on top. He'll never know ;) :D

brockenspectre
27th Oct 2002, 14:04
if could a ready-made I prolly might but ... all the stores use real flour!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:)

Techchick
27th Oct 2002, 15:48
Brock, never mind the souffle... give him fiish and chips

Rollingthunder
27th Oct 2002, 19:33
Having delved into my vast research library, I can offer this.

Flourless Cheese Souffle

Invented by Elizabeth Jackson

Ingredients

2 TBL softened butter
6 large eggs separated 3 g
pinch of cayenne pepper (I use way more)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch salt & pepper
4 oz cream cheese softened 3 g
1 1/2 c grated gruyere cheese 5 g

Preparing

Preheat oven to 425 F, Coat a 6 cup souffle dish with all of the butter. In a mixing bowl combine: egg yolks, cayenne, nutmeg,
salt pepper and beat with whisk till smooth. Blend in cream cheese and gruyere. In another bowl beat the egg whites until stiff
peaks form, fold into the yolk/cheese stuff. Spoon gently into the souffle dish and bake on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then
turn oven down to 400 F (don't open door) and bake an additional 15 minutes, serve immediately.

Or serve him haggis with sprouts and chips.

brockenspectre
27th Oct 2002, 19:41
neat recipe! It never occurred to me to try without flour at all!!

Brilliant!

Think I will make my first attempt tomorrow evening!

EI_Sparks
28th Oct 2002, 01:09
Brock, if he's *that* special, the food won't matter much :)

djk
28th Oct 2002, 01:14
if your oven door has a glass front to it, just look through that to check on the progress.
Known many a person who has opened the door to the oven to check their souffle, as a result all that lovely hot air escapes and souffle then collapses

Rollingthunder
31st Oct 2002, 02:36
So? How did it go?

pigboat
31st Oct 2002, 04:19
Dunno about souffels, but if you ever want a recipe for a killer white chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce, just lemme know!

AerBabe
31st Oct 2002, 19:23
Yes please Pigboat :D
Although I've yet to find a man who I'd think was worthy of sharing it ;)

M I Icarus
31st Oct 2002, 23:53
Don't you mean: get a finger in edgewise? (just going on experience....)

pigboat
1st Nov 2002, 02:52
Here ya go AerBabe, just for you.

White Chocolate Floating Paradise

Mousse
8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream (35%)
2 tsp unflavoured gelatin
1-1/2 cups whipping cream (35%)
Place chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of whipping cream just to a boil over medium-high heat. (Stir constantly)
Pour over chocolate. Let stand a minute or two to melt chocolate. Whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 3 tbsp of cold water. Add 3 tbsp of boiling water and stir until gelatin dissolves. Whisk into chocolate mixture. Chill about 15 minutes or so until slightly thickened. In another bowl beat 1-1/2 cups of whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture, folding and stirring gently. Chill for at least four hours before serving. Makes about 4 cups.

Raspberry sauce
In a blender, puree one 10 oz package of thawed frozen raspberries. Strain through a seive to remove seeds. Stir in 1/3 cup of corn syrup. (I dunno what you call corn syrup in the UK. Golden syrup?)

Presentation
Spoon some raspberry sauce into a dessert plate. Using a soup spoon, scoop 3 mounds of mousse on top of the sauce, arranging them to look like a three blade propeller. Garnish with three mint leaves, one between each prop blade, and place a raspberry in the center of the prop hub. (Looks better on a white or green plate)

Also goes well with strawberry coulis:
In a blender, combine 1-1/2 cups of fresh strawberries with 3/4 cup of icing sugar and 1 tbsp of Cointreau. Puree until smooth. Makes about a cup. Proceed as for raspberry sauce.

Lemme know how it turns out, and I'll give you my recipe for chocolate truffle loaf. Pure ambrosia. :D

RadarContact
1st Nov 2002, 17:43
Although I've yet to find a man who I'd think was worthy of sharing it

You find a man who's worth anything and you'll be lucky to get any of it yourself ;) :p

Paterbrat
1st Nov 2002, 17:46
Heaven's to Betsy, I've stumble into a gourmonds paradise. Broken Spectre the Ceprepes Suzette flambe of mine beside being old hat would probably be unsuitable for you as they do need flour, besides toward the end of the evening wants to be messing about with fire extinguishers we are looking for accelerants!

Rollingthunder
2nd Nov 2002, 00:29
Seems most anything can be made without flour.

Flourless Crepes

One large egg.
One tablespoon cream.
One teaspoon oil.
1/4 teaspoon sugar.
1/8 teaspoon vanilla.

Mix well, put half the mixture in a well buttered nonstick frying pan. Cook at medium heat until top looks dry, flip over and cook for a few more seconds. Place on a plate, add your favorite filling and roll up.

Ricotta Filling.
1/3 cup Ricotta cheese.
One teaspoon sugar.

Mix well. This will fill two crepes.

pigboat
3rd Nov 2002, 04:13
Zoot alors! M'sieu has just made an omlette, non?:D

Rollingthunder
3rd Nov 2002, 05:09
Oui,

I did think it was an omlette with a bit of sucre added.:)