PDA

View Full Version : Guilty until proved innocent

Dr Jekyll
27th Oct 2002, 09:57
It seems the government wants to change the rape laws so that it's up to the man to prove that sex was consensual.

Three issues here.
1) How does anyone prove the woman didn't change her mind after signing the consent form?
2) Will women also have to prove the man consented?
3) Will this apply to incidents that occured before the legislation was enacted?

jonathang
27th Oct 2002, 12:29
You'll end up having to sign a contract to show concent.

Standard Noise
27th Oct 2002, 14:21
Who needs justice when you've got "trial by media":confused:

Brae_Cwynd
27th Oct 2002, 14:56
Question: How do you know if you've been raped in the night ?

Answer: You find a Blue Peter badge on your pillow in the morning !!

:D

28thJuly2001
27th Oct 2002, 14:57
Saw this on the Graham Norton Show, it is a packet of condoms with a space where the lucky lady can leave her thumb print to prove she is gagging for it, bit flawed though, the lucky lady could just say she was forced to leave her print.
Ho hum,,,

28th,,

Davaar
27th Oct 2002, 16:39
From those spacious days when cross-examination of the alleged victim was allowed:

Defence counsel: You say this so-called rape was violent and
enforced?

Demure victim: Yes.

Counsel: But you spoke to the accused at the time?

Victim: Yes.

Counsel: Indeed right at the moment of the
alleged rape?

Victim: Yes.

Counsel: What did you say?

Victim: I love you; I love you; I love you.

There he should have stopped:

Counsel: And why did you say that?

Victim: He had a knife. He told me to, and he said
that if I didn't, he'd cut my f*ck*ng throat.

Unwell_Raptor
27th Oct 2002, 16:48
Fielding put it well:-

"He in a few minutes ravished this fair creature, or at least would have ravished her, if she had not, by a timely compliance, prevented him."

Chaffers
28th Oct 2002, 20:35
Anyone think its going to be possible for a bloke to 'prove' that sex was consensual? How many falsely accused men in the past would have stayed out of jail had the supposed reforms been in place? Any of them? Have the implications of deliberate abuse of the so called reforms even been thought about?

Better remember to get a receipt, it'll be the only way of getting some....

Davaar
28th Oct 2002, 21:26
If possible, adapted to the case, a receipt in that form known to legal practitioners in some places as a: "satisfaction piece".

Slasher
29th Oct 2002, 05:20
Theres rape and theres RAPE isnt there.

Ive "raped" a few women in my time, but only because they needed a little push to get started. The whole 15 minutes has her saying "no you shouldnt do this! No! No! No!" until the orgasmic smile at the end followed by the customary slap across the face with a "you bloodey horney bastard!" screamed out.

RAPE is something else entirley.

Dr Jekyll
29th Oct 2002, 07:34
Slasher, your comments are utter crap, exceptional even by your standards.
From anyone else I would assume it was a deliberate Troll, from you I'm not sure.

eal401
29th Oct 2002, 10:40
The simple solution is not to sleep with any girl until about the 20th date! Also, ensure that she has signed a contract and recorded an audio provision of consent.

Simple??

Better yet, don't trust a woman. Ever.

Paterbrat
29th Oct 2002, 11:53
There speaks a happy chappy, sounds experienced to boot.

Grim Reaper 14
29th Oct 2002, 12:54
Two solutions I can think of (Well, 3, but we'll leave the 'solution' that most men have in their hand out of the argument).

Firstly, only ever have sex when you have independent, impartial observers.

Secondly, as an alternative, video every occasion. Although that does take us directly into the realms of Ulrika's other problem...;)

Bev Bevan
29th Oct 2002, 13:50
On a slightly different note... it's about bloody time that the accused has anonymity just as the alleged victim has.

Many a good man has been ruined by a false allegation of rape, even despite being cleared in a court of law. They should only name them on conviction.

My 0.02 worth.

Octopussy
29th Oct 2002, 16:29
Slasher, those comments are outrageous; please tell us you didn't mean them the way they sound.

I absolutely agree that the accused should be granted anonymity along with the alleged victim; Bev is right - just the accusation can ruin someone's life.

briteandbreezy
29th Oct 2002, 17:36
eal401
Better yet, don't trust a woman. Ever.
Get a life!!! :mad:

Grim Reaper 14
Firstly, only ever have sex when you have independent, impartial observers.
Noooooooooooooooo!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bev Bevan
Many a good man has been ruined by a false allegation of rape, even despite being cleared in a court of law. They should only name them on conviction.
I couldn't agree more!!! When a case comes to court, they tend to forget that the accused may actually be found to be totally innocent!!! All too late once the media have 'outed' his name!!! :mad:

Captain Stable
29th Oct 2002, 23:25
I should point out that the definition of rape is when he persists in having sex with her when she does not consent, or is reckless as to whether she consents or not. The woman failing to say "No" is therefore not necessarily a defence. Given that, Slasher is, perhaps, on very risky ground indeed.

I agree, however, that it would be regrettable if it were required that the accused were to have to prove innocence, otherwise being assumed guilty.