PDA

View Full Version : IE6 'No page to display' error?

BRL
27th Oct 2002, 07:16
Hi all. Win 98, IE6. Whenever i click on a link to open a new page, the new page(as a new window) comes up but the address bar is blank and i have to click on STOP and then REFRESH then the new page comes up. An example of this is when i click on Pilot Mail from the menu on the left. A new window appears and i have to do what i have just explained. Any ideas to whats going on? I have not changed anything at all for ages or added anything. :confused:

Tinker
27th Oct 2002, 09:31
Have you recently updated zone alarm, I had a similar problem and it was ZA causing it. It would appear that lots of people are having problems with the updated version, see the link below.

Zone Alarm reviews (http://download.com.com/3302-2092-10153456.html?ob=0&pn=1&fb=2)

If you are using ZA I suggest uninstalling it and reverting back to an older version.

BRL
27th Oct 2002, 12:11
Hi Tinker. I don't have Zone alarm at all. I have been using Tiny Personal Firewall for a long time now.

Tinker
28th Oct 2002, 09:23
I have to be honest, I don't really know the solution but as the pc boffs in here haven't offered any suggestions I would be tempted to try either...
Going into 'Tools Menu' (in IE) 'Internet Options' 'Advanced' then hit restore defaults. Or reinstalling IE 6.
I don't know if that will solve the problem but it's worth a try. Personaly I always use the default settings in IE and never have a problem.
Best of Luck

T

BRL
5th Nov 2002, 20:45
I have just got around to sorting this out. Tried restting to default and re-installing IE6 but to no avail. Same problem. I even went back to IE5.5 and it still happened then. :confused:

Tinker
5th Nov 2002, 22:11
I've sent this one straight to the top L :D
A friend of mine works for the big M (not MacDonalds) although his expertise is in Outlook/Exchange or something like that so I can't promise an answer but I'm intrigued myself.

BRL
6th Nov 2002, 10:34
Thanks Tinker, much appreciated. :confused: I can't even get on the First direct website as that new window that comes up to log-in doesn't have the 'toolbar' buttons like Stop, refresh etc just the blue bar at the very top of the window so i can't log-in to do banking stuff. It a pain in the harse to be honest now. :(

expedite_climb
6th Nov 2002, 10:57
L,

Have you tried asking First Direct ? May seem daft as I know it is not just confined to them , but they dont know that do they :-)

I had a problem with downloading statements from several internet banks, and HSBC sorted me out by going through several basic reset routines.

Captain Over
6th Nov 2002, 11:00
Try updating your MS Scripting. Do a search at Microsoft's site. That solved our issue when this happened.

G'lukk!

BRL
6th Nov 2002, 12:05
Capt Over. I have just downloaded the Microsoft Windows Script 5.6. Got it from HERE (http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/001/733/msdncompositedoc.xml&frame=true) I installed it and nothing has happend at all :confused: Is this what you meant???

Tonic Please
6th Nov 2002, 20:05
You could try very simple things such as:

a) Waiting longer?

b) Double clicking the blue bar along the top to change the size of the screen.

"b)" sometimes gives the page a "kick up the rear end" I have learnt.

Smooth skies, and keep us informed :D I'll keep looking for solutions for you

Dan :cool:

BRL
7th Nov 2002, 21:55
Hi there. I tried what you reccomended and left it all day when i went to work. Came home and nothing changed at all, still the same. Tried double clicking the blue bar but that just maxed out the screen. :confused:

Captain Over
12th Nov 2002, 14:50
BRL - apologies for the delay...I have your clearance now! :D :D

That script download from MS was what solved our situation.

What OS are you using?

Have you tried clearing your history and temp internet files? What about clearing your cookies? (they can get corrupted too!) MAKE SURE you copy your cookie file first to a spare folder...then if that did not fix it, recopy it back to save re-entering info such as PPRuNe sign-ons, etc...

If the script thingy I told you about before didn't fix yours, go to Control Panel, Add / Delete Programs, select your Internet Explorer from the list, click Add/ Remove (don't worry....most programs will be deleted at this point, but a few like Office and MS Explorer give more options first!!) then select "REPAIR" and see if that works. It is SUPPOSED to download whatever is missing from it's little binary brain from Mother Microsoft and get it corrected. Footnote: if you have your "links" in any order it re-arranges it A to Z again, and re-adds the desktop IE thingy if you deleted it.

It could be a cursed registry corruption too. If the above doesn't work, try a regscan utility tool.

Lots to do...packing commencing immediately...cleared for take-off soon.

Keep us adviced on how it went.

:p

BRL
12th Nov 2002, 19:24
Thank you Captain, will do all the above and let you know how it goes in a few days. Many thanks :)

Captain Over
18th Nov 2002, 17:49
Any luck, Big Red??

BRL
20th Nov 2002, 13:05
No joy i am afraid. :( I have tried everything here bar the re-instalation of windows(98). When i tried to do that(add/remove) win98 wasn't there so i am lost now how to do it. :confused:

Captain Over
20th Nov 2002, 18:30
If you tried all the above, afraid to say but it's crunch time.

Back up ALL your data, and reformat once you do a google search on the millions of very good tutorial sites out there that walk you through wiping your (likely highly) corrupted registry and clearing the slate, then reloading Win98.

Sorry, but that's part of the Windows game.

Let us know when you are back on in one piece. Good luck!

BRL
20th Nov 2002, 23:30
:eek: Reformat..!!! :( :( :( :(

BRL
28th Nov 2002, 01:32
Well then, I had a bit of time tonight and re-formated my drive C and then re-installed win98. Was going to put XP on it but that takes hours. Anyhow, problem gone now, can click on links and the new window opens up just like it should do so I am a happy bunny.

Thanks again to you all who offered help throughout all of this, many thanks. :)