PDA

View Full Version : Stormy weather in the UK

X-QUORK
27th Oct 2002, 06:37
B0ll0cks.....there goes the first roof tile !!

brockenspectre
27th Oct 2002, 07:33
Dog and I have just been out for an hour (unfortunately his sytem didn't believe in clocks falling back!) and it was amazingly windy. Dog is a Shiba Inu - looks like a knee-high husky with a curly tail - and was leaning into the wind like a sled dog, making airplane ears (as only Shibas do!). Was brilliantly exhilarating - keeping a good look out for flying branches in the park though as there has been quite a lot of damage overnight.

Came home and listened to VOLMET and it is giving the following wind info:

Bournemouth 270/31-41kt
Bristol 250/32-50kt
Cardiff 260/33-56kt
Jersey 280/34-55kt
Luton 240/36-49kt
Norwich 240/32-48kt
Southend 240/28-54kt

and Norwich/Southend has the wind veering 210-270!!

Happy landings to all in the air today - when birds with feathers have problems (as a magpie nearly did a moment ago getting "windsheared" as he tried to land on a branch!) then da big-silver ones will keep their drivers well occupied methinks!

:D

Tinstaafl
27th Oct 2002, 07:58
Make it colder, add snow & ice and it would be like a normal winter in Shetland... :p

Loki
27th Oct 2002, 11:20
My back garden has acquired a new ornament. It looks uncannily like a garden table upside down.

The cat seemed to take the gusts in his stride and despite his advanced years was last spotted chasing dead leaves about. No doubt when he catches one of the treacherous little b*ggers, he`ll bring it into the house as a present.

AerBabe
27th Oct 2002, 11:25
METAR was giving 60kt gusts at Coventry earlier... Not that I live anywhere near there of course ;) :D The wind must be dying down now though, cos the herd of cows in the field opposite have come out from their huddle under the trees. They are tilting slightly though :D

jonathang
27th Oct 2002, 11:34
How far up has this weather system got in reality.

Quite calm In Scotland :)

flower
27th Oct 2002, 11:42
Well we had at least 62kts observed this am at Cardiff , at more than 3o degrees off the runway alignment , At least 6 light aircraft have been either damaged or destroyed and several buildings have had damage done to them as well with roofs and window damage.
Driving into work at 0620hrs was very hairy and I am glad to be back at home.

Deeko01
27th Oct 2002, 11:52
Must be bad down there cos there has been a 747-400 and a 777 of british airways diverted into glasgow this morning and the crew are now out of hours !

28thJuly2001
27th Oct 2002, 12:15
Flowers,
Did all the 6 aircraft damged/destroyed belong to CWFC or do you mean generally across the UK?
It is now very exposed on the South Side and I would not be surprised if some were damaged.

28th,,

Kalium Chloride
27th Oct 2002, 13:21
Latest from EGLL:

EGLL 271209Z 271322 27022G35KT 9999 SCT030 TEMPO 1317 27027G45KT BECMG FKNG CLD BLLX THS WX IS SHT

flower
27th Oct 2002, 14:05
All the damaged / destroyed aircraft were parked south side at EGFF. Some belong to CWFC others privately owned.

foghorn
27th Oct 2002, 15:13
It has been gusting well over 50 knots here in London. Have lost three slates off my roof...

You want it when?
27th Oct 2002, 16:16
Lost one tile in the gusts, and seem to be missing a garden table that vaulted the fence (heavy table and six foot fence). I'd ask for it back but it appears to be sticking in the neighbours conservatory...

Ho hum - will make another and say it's not mine.

Roof repair quote - 60 + VAT assuming the wind drops

pulse1
27th Oct 2002, 17:33
According to BBC news24 this morning, the wind near the Scillies must have been close to 200k. They said that the wind was too strong for a helicopter to winch an injured seaman from a fishing boat. So they were sending a Nimrod down from Scotland to do it.:confused:

28thJuly2001
27th Oct 2002, 17:34
Just saw the damage to the planes at Cardiff on the Welsh news, looks quite nasty.
What's even worse is that my satellite dish has gone all out of whack and the robbing ******** at Sky want 65 to line it back up. So I have been up a ladder in the pleasant afternoons breeze with my spanner and shouts to Mrs 28th "What about now?"...."Anything"...."Now"....while I point the thing in every direction imaginable to try to line it up..No joy. :mad:
So now I will miss..
5.40pm Scrapheap Challenge.
6.30pm The Simpsons.
7.00pm Malcolm In The Middle.
9.00pm Auf Wiedersehn Pet
10.10pm

The choice I had was Songs of Praise followed by the Antiques Roadshow....So I gave up and went to my computer room in a huff to work on my website even though it don't need working on.
Might go down at 7.00pm to watch Sahara just to annoy Mrs 28th who will insist on Coronation Street. :D

28th,,

tony draper
27th Oct 2002, 17:45
Dont waste your time 28th unless you have a specrum analyser or field strength meter. bite the bullit, or generaly someone in the local paper that will line it up a bit cheaper. ;)

28thJuly2001
27th Oct 2002, 18:02
Tony,
I am all out of spectrum analysers and the field strength meter is in the shop for repairs so it looks like I will need to fork out 45 minutes flying time so a bloke can spend 5 minutes up a ladder analysing my spectrum. grrrrrrrrr.
:mad:
Gonna give it a bash with a sweeping brush one last time, if it's not working I WANNA SEE DAMAGE.

28th,,

tony draper
27th Oct 2002, 18:14
Is not the tradesman worthy of his hire. ;)

gorra be cheaper than buying a analyser, that might set you back five or six grand.

PS. mebbee its covered on your house insurance? might be worth a look, especialy if you rip it off the wall alltogether then claim it was the wind what done it.
.;)

X-QUORK
27th Oct 2002, 19:43
Think yourself lucky 28th, I'm going to have to pay for a roof tiler and work out how the hell to straighten up the TV aerial without killing myself.:(

Anthony Carn
28th Oct 2002, 08:40
Calmer this morning.

I'm off out to find the dustbins.

We KNOW where all the rubbish is.......all over the f*****g garden !!!! :(

FlyingForFun
28th Oct 2002, 12:29
My parents no longer have a fence at the back of their garden. But they got off lightly compared to my aunt, whose front wall was blown into the house. She had emergency builders round for most of yesterday afternoon.... :eek:

FFF
---------------

steamchicken
28th Oct 2002, 12:42
on Saturday, having heard the forecast, I took a walkround of our building not too far from Egll, looking for possible flying dustbins etc. Found a large plank of wood leaning against a fence upwind of the flat:eek: so I secured it in a trade waste bin and sat back to enjoy the storm. Reminds me of northwestern Aussie and the annual "Cyclone Clean-Up Day" put on by the fire brigade to dispose of potential missiles, a sort of domestic Fodplod really...odd thing to be doing in Surrey though!

Lan Ding Gere
28th Oct 2002, 14:55
I had a crap day yestrerday.

We have a large 6ft x 3ft teak wooden table with matching benches and chairs, which is part of a garden dining table, with a large weather cover over the top, The blasted thing was inflated like a balloon. So decided to use a bit of brain, I picked up the crappy picnic bench from the other side of the garden, turned it upside down and then placed it on top of the Patio set, thinking that it will hold the cover down.

An hour later, looked out again, the flipping picnic bench was at the other end of the garden. the force of the wind inflated the cover at such a force literally throwing the picnic bench across the garden, breaking one of its legs in the process.

On top of that, my little girls play house, which is a two man lift, was rolled around the garden like a dice !!

what a day :(

Tolsti
28th Oct 2002, 15:00
looks like the Army had a rough night as well!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2367313.stm

:rolleyes:

DamienB
28th Oct 2002, 16:40
28thJuly2001 - you might find this useful:

http://www.sathelp.co.uk/sky_self_install.htm

It isn't that tricky, you just need patience and a helper...

WhatsaLizad?
28th Oct 2002, 16:43
Crewed a a 777 out of LHR yesterday morning. At the gate with the tail into the wind, the bouncing around was equal to "continuous light" airborne turbulence. While preflighting the outside, the aircraft bucked around like a Cessna 150 in light winds.

On takeoff, winds 10 degree off nose gusting to 49 knots, our 560,000 lb airplane rolled about 3500 before rotation. Not to bad of a ride on climbout either. Smooth and clear above 6000 too.

Cheers

28thJuly2001
28th Oct 2002, 18:10
Thanks for the site Damienb but I am afraid it was a little too late.

Mrs 28th went through the yellow pages while I was in work and managed to find someone with a spectrum analyser and a field strength meter who lined it back up for 25.
Not a bad price considering the robbing ******* at Sky wanted 65.
So now I am back to flicking through 100's of channels of rubbish instead of just BBC & ITV.
Phew! Got it back in time to watch Judge Judy on ITV2, somehow my tea wouldn't have tasted the same without Judge Judy to watch.

28th,,

Rollingthunder
29th Oct 2002, 05:38
Army chiefs are asking citizens to keep an eye out for an inflatable tank which was blown away in the strong gales which battered the UK over the weekend.

The inflatable, life-size dummy tank was moored to the ground during a training exercise near Tredegar, south Wales.

But 80 mile per hour winds tore the battle tank replica from ropes
tethering it to the ground and the vehicle is officially "missing in
action".

A widescale search including a helicopter is now underway for the errant inflatable.

On Monday a military spokesman said they were anxious to hear from anyone who may have woken during the morning to find a tank in their garden.

Red-faced Sergeant Major Brian Pratt said: "If anyone's found my tank, please give us a bell.

"It is about the size of three cars. It would fill a big garden. When
deflated, it takes three men to lift," the sergeant major told BBC Radio Wales.

Meanwhile, a 25 foot-high inflatable replica of fast food mascot Ronald McDonald is also still missing after it was whisked by high winds from a Newport restaurant last week.

Paterbrat
29th Oct 2002, 10:35
Pre flight a bit breezy. Departed Paris in the late afternoon gusting to nearly 60 kts, Climb out to the west was spectacular, bounced around all the way to Milan. Quite an invigorating day. Rang home to hear that the garden shed had blown to bits, decided to have a beer or three then felt much better.

steamchicken
29th Oct 2002, 14:47
so that's what they mean by "ground manoeuvre+air manoeuvre=land manoeuvre"!