PDA

View Full Version : Double galzing

andymac
26th Oct 2002, 22:19
had a salesman working out a quote today - he added the prices for windows and doors, and then deducted 20-25% discount. WHY??? (these were Vat inclusive prices).

(I've just been rereading the posts of Aug last year re nuisance telesales calls - some good ideas there likely to be retried if the present level of calls persists!!)

:rolleyes: :D :mad: :confused: :D

Anthony Carn
26th Oct 2002, 22:30
You have raised a subject which I loathe with a passion -- double glazing salespersons !!

He might have deducted 20-25% "discount" to make you feel as if you would be getting a bargain, perhaps !

I'd better not say any more until I've fully understood the replies to my "Slander and Libel" thread.

Ask me about Anglian double glazing, go on, go on dare you !

GRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

28thJuly2001
26th Oct 2002, 22:30
Bought mine from Wickes and fitted them myself.
Do you know how easy it is to fit a window..
Quick Masterclass.
1) Remove old window..
2) Screw in new window...
3) Errr....that's it.

Less than a grand for the whole house..

28th,,

Anthony Carn
26th Oct 2002, 22:55
28thJuly2001

I LIKE THAT IDEA A LOT ! :cool:

Were your windows made to measure, or a standard size ?

How did you make them fit if they were too tight or too sloppy ?

What screws did you use ?

(sorry everyone, just talk amongst yourselves)

What sealant did you use ?

Was the glass already in, or can you fit it yourself ?

How long did an average sized window take to fit ?

I really mean all this ! Brilliant ! ( I never go to Wickes -- use B&Q )

Thanks ! :D

Unwell_Raptor
26th Oct 2002, 23:20
I got three quotes.

Local firm 1 2200
Local firm 2 2450
Bowater Zenith: opening bid 7000, final effort as he went out the door, 4200.

He tried the "I will just phone the boss, as I am only allowed one discount this week" (probably rang the speaking clock) the "offer today only" the "feel sorry for me" and everything else out of the sales manual.

28thJuly2001
27th Oct 2002, 00:25
Anthony Carn,

Were your windows made to measure, or a standard size ?
> Standard size.

How did you make them fit if they were too tight or too sloppy ?
> Fitted like a glove, with a bit of persuasion from a rubber mallet any that were too lose tapped in wooden packing and filled with expanding foam.

What screws did you use ?
>Metal ones??????<DUH!>

What sealant did you use ?
> Run of the mill Silicon Sealant.

Was the glass already in, or can you fit it yourself ?
>Glass already in.

How long did an average sized window take to fit ?
>1 hour including the tea break.

I really mean all this ! Brilliant ! ( I never go to Wickes -- use B&Q ).
>Free Delivery.

Thanks !
>2,000 cheaper for 2 day's work and the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right.

P.S. Your'e not a double glazing salesman by any chance trying to catch me out
28th,,
:D :D

Anthony Carn
27th Oct 2002, 08:05
Very many thanks 28th.........off to Wickes today ! Oops -- measure the openings first !

Not a d-g salesman -- even I have more self respect than that !

:D :D :D

Tinker
27th Oct 2002, 10:18
Whilst there is nothing wrong with what 28thJuly2001 said but if you are going to do it yourself, it might be woth adding...
the screws you need are 'frame screws' specificaly designed to be fitted with the window in situ.
Don't go too mad with the expanding foam, it expands in volume many times over and can distort the frame making the openers dificult or imposible to open. (It can and has been used to hold windows in place on it's own so it's pretty powerfull stuff).
Use specificaly designed plastic packers/wedges, they don't rot and are alot easier to use as when paired up and will lock together.
Frame sealant is often better than silicone for the outside, it weathers better and remains much more plyable.
Get some rope and a mate to help you with upstairs windows (one who's not affraid of heights :) )
Have a tarpauline handy (incase things go wrong and the job takes longer than expected).

You can save a lot of money on the fixings and sealants by buying them from ScrewFix (http://www.screwfix.com) either on the web or by telephone. If you phone them on the number on the web site they will send you a catalogue the next day. In my experience their customer service is excellent.

Best of luck.

Kalium Chloride
27th Oct 2002, 11:56
My favourite response to anyone selling replacement windows:

"Replace them? But they haven't stopped working yet."

28thJuly2001
27th Oct 2002, 13:09
Expanding foam is not fun.....
Don't fill the gaps with one long squirt cos it will no doubt expand MUCH more than you expect and can be a sod to clean off the frame. I only gave a very rough guide and believe me I am no expert, but the windows have been happy in there new home without and leaks or problems for over a year.
It is very easy to fit but make sure you have help because trying to balance a 6 foot wide window on you head while you climb a rickety ladder is just asking for a trip to casualty :D
I think I paid 200 for the double glazed living room window and it don't look like cheap rubbish either, better than the rotting wooden frames that used to be there.
Wouldn't try to fit them today though :) :D :)

28th,,

SLF
27th Oct 2002, 13:11
Double Gal-zing - isn't that 3 in a bed??? :D :D :D

28thJuly2001
27th Oct 2002, 14:51
tut tut, there's always one:p

28th,,

flower
27th Oct 2002, 15:10
I live in a house which is 2 years old , with very attractive UVPC double glazed windows.

And still they call on me wanting to know if I want replacement windows .Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh......................

pilotwolf
27th Oct 2002, 23:08
Had a similar episode with garage door saleman. Phoned only for a brouchure but they insisted on coming to the south coast from York despite being told I didn't have the money at the time.

He quoted just over 3200 initial and his last offer before I threw him out was 1000 for cash! He then whinged about his wasted time!

Wickes is usually the cheapest place for DIY supplies by far. Screwfix is good but think they got too big too quick and their service is poor compared to what it used to be.

Wear throw away latex gloves for the expanding foam or silicon sealants

All my own experiences !

;)

Windy Militant
28th Oct 2002, 12:51
Before going on the telesales preference thingy I used to get the "we're not selling anything" call with annoyingly tedious regularity. But touch wood haven't had one for ages.
But on a lighter note in a past incarnation I was working on an extension to a double glazing factory. The Owner of the firm who was noted for having a bit of a short fuse, arrived on site in an absolutly foul mood, even worse than than usual. How we laughed when we found out the reason, you guessed it, one of his own sales bods had tried to sell him double glazing on his ex directory number tee hee hee! ;) :D :D

flower
28th Oct 2002, 13:14
Regarding telesales,
I have Caller Id , if the number is withheld I never answer the phone. I haven't been bothered with telesales ever since.;)

skygazer
28th Oct 2002, 13:48
Also worth a try is the Telephone Preference Service - I subscribed to this a while back (it's free) and now get very very few unsolicited calls, whereas I used to get 3 or 4 per night.

Agree with the comment about expanding foam - once it's on your hands, it's a b****er to get off. But also, be warned - it deteriorates with prolonged exposure to UV, so make sure you get it covered over with sealant pdq. Various unscrupulous window companies used to use PU foam as the sole means of fixing windows!!! Burglars cottoned on to this - use a long blade in a Stanley knife and the whole window can be taken out!!

spanner-do
28th Oct 2002, 14:18
During the opening sales gambit of one leading DG telesales dept who had been calling on a weekly basis.

"are you the homeowner?"

I replied (truthfully), "no the house is mortgaged"

They have never called back since then.

I also use the response to "Have you considered changing your windows?"

with "What do you suggest I replace my windows with? Bricks perhaps!!!"

:rolleyes: