PDA

View Full Version : Modem Problems

Hobo
26th Oct 2002, 19:45
Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop, Windows ME. Modem Actiontech internal V90 miniPCI Card.

Modem has been working OK for a year. Suddenly when modem cable is connected to laptop and phone socket it appears to be permanently connected to phone line computer on or off. Computer won't dialup and connect and all other phones in house go dead and cannot recieve or make calls even if laptop is switched off. New cable tried with same result. Only unususal thing was severe thundersorm nearby before this fault was noticed but laptop switched off at time of storm (also 3 other switched off computers in house unaffected).

Any Ideas??

spannersatcx
27th Oct 2002, 08:17
If your line did get zapped by lightning then the laptop modem could of been fried if the phone line was connected at the time (doesn't have to be on).

Try connecting an external modem and see if that works.

1 laptop and 3 pc's alright for some!;)

timmcat
27th Oct 2002, 21:57
Might be irelevant but been a PC geek for around 6 years and the last time I had a hardware failure (2 weeks ago ) was on a PCMCIA card modem - convinced it was a software issue but a (FOC) replacement (after 12 months trouble free use) from my local store cured everything. Lets face it, all that going on in such a small space compared to the desktop alternative must sometimes take its toll!

Belgique
28th Oct 2002, 06:16
If you look at the female pins of where the modem line plugs into the PCMCIA card you'll probably find that they are weak and have given way (don't pop miraculously back into position when you pull the plug out. My Dell 3500's XIRCOM modem/network card had this flaw and the problem was there on the Network cable's port also.

It was out of warranty - but I just got a broken match and wedged it in behind the pins in order to hold them in place. So far no further problems. I'd suspect that your pins have crossed over perhaps (they are quite long, thin, puny and unsupported. That's usually why all sorts of miniport outlets give trouble (Walkmans, trannie radios, PCMCIA and TV cards etc). Maybe they just build them too fragile on purpose as a means of achieving planned obsolescence. However any external cable will also have all sorts of leverage on it from weight of the cable, attached transformers and batt chargers etc - and so will givge up the ghost eventually. And of course portable devices are always being pulled out and re-attached......

Currently looking as though I will have to pull my Dell Inspiron 3500 Notebook to pieces again because the sound outlet plug innards have quit in similar fashion. Wouldn't buy a Dell again because it's now twice bitten.....