View Full Version : ATPL exam study techniques!

Feneris
25th Oct 2002, 23:00
I've just finished the 4th Frame of Bristols course, and am wondering how other people study, and does anyone else find Gen Nav hard or is it just me??

I write out my own notes in full, it seems to be my best way of absorbing the info. I could read it, recite it, but them forget it 10 minutes later. Writing it out almost in full takes ages, Met for example I cover about 3 pages an hour.

When I started I could concentrate for about 30 mins max, them my mind started wandering all over the place. I'm probably up to a personal lifetime record of around 2 hours now (occasionally!).

I'm very pleased with the notes, the quality, layout etc (Especially like the paper quality they're printed on... little things to please little people!!) Fave bit is the tests on the computer - Scored 100% (Met) for the first time today!

F

Just another student
26th Oct 2002, 08:37
I just completed my first set (got my results today) and Gen Nav was the one I messed up. I don't find it too hard but the paper we had was mind boggling! All I can say is when it comes to the exam, time is your worst enemy so get used to the time constraints involved. Gen nav is sometimes hard to digest but everything links hand in hand logicaly, but if you don't understand one thing it tends to have a knock on effect!

Good luck

Token Bird
26th Oct 2002, 10:06
I don't know about Gen Nav - it's one of my favourite subjects - but this is what I did for the ones I did find hard:

Rather than going through and copying out notes word for word, go through your notes (the school notes, not your own handwritten notes) and highlight the important bits. Then go through and write out all the bits you've highlighted, using more than one colour of pen (I use red for emphasis).

I found it worked for the subjects with lots of facts. Gen Nav is more of a practical subject so I think in that case get yourself lots of practice papers and keep practising!

If you're having trouble getting to grips with concepts, don't be afraid to get in touch with Bristol - they're very helpful!

TB

P.Pilcher
26th Oct 2002, 10:24
Admittedly it was a long time ago when I did my CPL and ATPL writtens, but I will never forget the technique I used. Of course it is probably different today, but when I did mine I requested self study: ie the course materials, end of topic questions and revision papers are sent with all the answers, so you don't send your answer sheets back for marking, you do it yourself. I remember that Avigation gave me a discount for this service, but PPSC (RIP) didn't. Of course both organisations were happy to deal with either written or telephone queries.

Having elected to use this system when stydying the fuel consumption exercise at constant TAS, I can to this day vividly remember sitting in an armchair with the questions on one arm, the answers on the other and a pad and calculator on my knee trying to turn the numbers in the question into the numbers in the answer. After many attempts, I succeeded and then proceeded to confirm that I had discovered the correct method by doing all the other questions in the same way. This technique is not possible if you are using postal tuition! Indeed, by the time you get the marked question sheet back, you will have forgotton what (wrong) method you used so will be little further forward with your studies!

I can also remember having a problem (or two) with Met. In those days my local airfield had its own met. office complete with forecasters. They were only two pleased to help me with my Met queries when I went to see them - happy days!

I never wrote out notes, I read them again and again. I can also remember that I used to start a new topic by reading the text several times - it usually made no sense. Then I would put the book down and go for a walk to think about it. A little realisation would dawn and I would go back to read the text again. Then I would look at the questions and by the time I had read the text a few more times, done the exercises and marked them, I was usually satisfied that I had understood the topic. You have to be very strong willed though! If you cheat, you are only cheating yourself and think of the enormous exam fee you will waste!

I would add that there are almost as many different study techniques as there are exam candidates and you have to find a method which suits you. I had behind me four years of university degree experience plus many years at the chalkface in a classroom before I started which I suppose gave me a bit of an advantage.

I got first time passes.

All the best with your studying!

P.P.

wisealderman
26th Oct 2002, 13:57
Simple answer to coping with jars and all the strees involved in getting an IR

Work hard....play hard....

for those of you on a course at OATS....

you'll find you'll learn the answer to that niggling theory of ***** question off a mate in the pub more often than in the class.

have a drink on me.

The WISE Alderman

avrodamo
26th Oct 2002, 14:22
Your feeling no different to what i felt. Met and Gen Nav absolutely killed me when i was doing them, but they ended up my best marks !!
You are doing the right study methods and very similar to myself.
Make yourself a study timetable and planner, so you know what you have to do and stick to it. There will be times when you will think 'Forget it...I can't be bothered'....stick with it.
I do the same as you. I create bullet points for each chapter on the PC generally covering essential facts and figures, and completing the progress tests as i go along.
Once i have finished all the modules, i then go back to the start and just read each chapter start to finish, doing the progress tests again. You will be surprised at how much you have retained!! Once at the end of that i then read the bullet points i have made, and again completing the progress tests again. To learn this much information you can only do it by repitition.
By this time you will have a good idea on what are your weak areas/subjects and what you have mastered.
Now plan a revision timetable. Allocate more time to the harder ones and less to the easier subjects. Start reading again. Make sure you understand aspects. Look at alternative ways of working problems that work for you. For Gen Nav concentrate on getting quetions answered in a time limit. That is the real enemy in that exam. You simply run short of time. If your really stuck ring or e-mail Alex and get some extra guidance.
Be about 90% prepared to sit your exams when you go to BGS. The first week is mainly concerned with going over the syllabus with feedback papers thrown in. The second week is mock exam, after mock exam, and this gets you into the correct methods of reading and being able to answer the questions.
You cant remember everything, but get the basics mastered and the rest just seems to join on the more you read.
Best of luck !!;)

November Whiskey
27th Oct 2002, 14:25
It's different strokes for different folks...

I'm also with BGS, just about to start frame 13. I have worked to the schedule (1 frame per week) which is tough alongside a full time job in the City.

At frame 2/3 I found myself in exactly your situation, making copious notes, but not really grasping the concepts. I spoke with Alex at BGS and also to a few others.

There are several ways to skin this (ugly & v. annoying cat:D ), the way I have adopted is to use index cards and just write the key points (formulae & bold text) for each chapter, which saves time, rather than copying verbatum!

I do the progress tests to the best of my knowledge, but if I get stuck, I consult the text, so it's kind of open book learning.

Many on this forum have said that the 2 week brush up course at the end of each module is excellent and really helps. This makes me think that all the information floating around in my brain will be rearranged into something useable by the expert instructors ;)

Happy to discuss further by e-mail if you like.

Good luck!

NW

Gin Slinger
27th Oct 2002, 19:09
Here's a good tip come revision time:

Don't skimp on revision for any subject, even if you feel you're up to speed on it.

I've just balls'd up PoF - 73%. Out of the three 'aeroplane' subjects in BGS Mod 2 (PoF, AGK & Perf), I felt PoF was my strongest subject; therefore I concentrated my revision on the other two. Result: I managed to pass AGK & Perf by a country mile (:)), and I resit PoF in December :(

Don't trust your judgement, just work, work, work!

pilot007
27th Oct 2002, 19:17
just go through the f*ing feedback questions!!!!

Gin Slinger
27th Oct 2002, 22:53
f*ing well did; I obviously don't have your poise and grace to pull it off...

Perhaps I lack the Deutsche arbeit ethik which was so sucessful in days gone by?

saudipc-9
28th Oct 2002, 07:19
Are there CD's out there that offer interactive learning? ie practise exams? I wrote my FAA ATP/ FE exams like that, after spending hours in front of my computer doing practise questions and got 98% on both.
Yes.( before anyone writes ) The FAA exams are a bit easier as they are multiple choice. Q&A a great way to learn things. Get your wife or girl friend to read out questions and try to answer them.

FlyingForFun
28th Oct 2002, 08:28
Feneris,

Loads of good advice here. Read them all, I'm sure that at least one of them will work for you.

Personally, I use a combination of G-RICH's and Token Bird's techniques. I read through the subjects first, usually during the week, trying to understand as I go, but not necesarilly trying to remember. Then, at the weekend, I go over the subject again, in detail. Often I find that I remember most of it from my initial reading. The bits that I'd forgotten, as well as anything else which I find a bit difficult, I highlight. Then I can go back over the highlighted points again to check I really understand them.

I also make good use of the CD, especially the progress tests. I run through the test on the CD once I've finished studying the material, and always make sure I understand all the questions I got wrong. If I got less than about 80% I do the test again.

NW mentioned the brush-up course. Do not rely on this course to teach you the material - it's not long enough! The course is absolutely superb, as long as you understood at least most of the material the first time through. It will focus your mind on the subjects, and sort out all of the bits that you thought you knew once but you've forgotten. But it won't teach you material which you haven't spent the time studying properly beforehand.

Good luck!

FFF
---------------