PDA

View Full Version : UKs oddest inventions

Rugz
25th Oct 2002, 14:46
There's a story published today by the BBC on the UKs oddest inventions that have been registered with the patent office over the last 150 years. Some of the daft ones include:

- An alarm fitted on the inside of a coffin (to prevent premature burials)
- A ladder for spiders to climb out of the bath
- Spectacles for chickens
- Two-handed glove for couples who wish to maintain palm-to-palm contact even in chilly weather
- Helmet fitted with a rifle (the recoil borke a man's neck during early trials)
- Cat flap connected in an atomic bomb in space

So, these are pretty wierd but I but you can come up with better ones.....

Grim Reaper 14
25th Oct 2002, 15:03
That cat flap one has possibilities...

How about a cat door without a flap, that detects via an infra-red beam when one of the little grunters is on its way through, and then drops a cheese wire at approximately 150 mph. It's a version of a cheshire cat that I quite like (no offence EGHH) :D

Davaar
25th Oct 2002, 15:07
The first one may not be all that very "weird". I recall reading of coffins exhumed from the old cemetery in Dundee (The Howff) that suggested "corpses" buried probably in a coma had awakened before the Last Trump and had made desperate attempts to get out. That, I believe, is the reason for the custom in some places to open a vein before burial, just to make sure.

18-Wheeler
25th Oct 2002, 15:08
Draper.

Send Clowns
25th Oct 2002, 18:35
I thought exploding rats for SOE sabotage in occupied France was pretty bizarre.

Spodman
27th Oct 2002, 05:13
Building fragile overweight cars with tiny p*ssweak engines and expecting the whole world to buy them?

Rollingthunder
27th Oct 2002, 05:22
Ahh yes. Mini Coopers, Lotus 7s, Morgans, Jaguars, TVRs, Bentleys.

Standard Noise
27th Oct 2002, 14:20
A race of people called The English.:p

Uncle Cracker
29th Oct 2002, 23:28
There's nothing odd about the spider's escape ladder. I have one and it even came with a small green "exit" sticker so the spider could spot it from the other end of the bath.

Uncle Cracker
30th Oct 2002, 02:18
And another thing:

http://www.jonnyglow.com/

Blacksheep
30th Oct 2002, 04:40
Don't you also have to glue a strip onto the top of your willy? Its all very well knowing where the target is, but you have to aim the damned thing as well! :p

Through difficulties to the cinema

reynoldsno1
31st Oct 2002, 00:59
The public pay toilet - the most inhumane exploitation of the human race...
The circular car park around London
Haggis (q.v.)
The Morris Marina
The Austin Maxi
Railway timetables