View Full Version : FLYER Professional Flight Training Show

BlueRobin
25th Oct 2002, 08:44
Renaissance Hotel, Heathrow, London. 9th November.

Anyone going?

seat_of_my_pants
25th Oct 2002, 08:46
BR - I'll be there

SOMP

BlueRobin
25th Oct 2002, 08:51
This week I've had three different people, at different times, tell me I should go pro. Things have been weighing heavy on my mind so I'll probably be going as well.

See you there!

buzzc152
25th Oct 2002, 08:56
I'm going............ though I don't know where to get a ticket in advance. Flyer mag haven't responded to my e-mail. Anyone know a booking number or something ?

scroggs
25th Oct 2002, 09:09
The booking line is 01225 481440. E-mail: [email protected] , the website carries all the details at www.flyer.co.uk (http://www.flyer.co.uk) . Or how about clicking on the banner ad that appears on almost every page hit on Pprune just now!!

Send Clowns
25th Oct 2002, 18:17
I'll be there in a professional capacity (I'm the young looking one who isn't female on our stand). See you all!

seat_of_my_pants
27th Oct 2002, 15:31
since a fair few ppruners will be there, would anyone fancy meeting up for a cheeky one in the hotel bar afterwards?

SOMP

Funkie
27th Oct 2002, 21:00
Sounds like a damn fine idea.

Suggestion……… meet up at the start of show, again for some lunch and go for a beer or two after, your thoughts….

I’ve never been to LHR, so any idea’s for a watering hole?

Regards,

Fra:D

seat_of_my_pants
27th Oct 2002, 21:18
Fra,
Sounds like a good plan. Don't know the area - but we'll play it by ear

Cheers,

SOMP

BlueRobin
28th Oct 2002, 11:06
Okay..name the time and place. ;)

stargazer02
29th Oct 2002, 20:07
Hey there
just what is your professional capacity.....
your profile says you are a classroom captain....frozen ATP.....
what am i missing.....
you seem to have a BIG ego.....:cool: :cool: :D :D

Send Clowns
29th Oct 2002, 20:39
:o big ego? Not me ... well except that I am a pilot :D

Look under "occupation" in my profile.

stargazer02
29th Oct 2002, 23:57
Hmmmmm
i looked under "occupation" it said "ground instructor"
i know loads of "ground instructors" that dont' FLY
you have an FATPL.....big swinging ***k

SOOOOOO what......by you answering say "look at me i'm a pilot"...just states my case....

You evidently haven't heard the one but this applies to you

Q. How do you know a pilot at a party.......

A. Because he will TELL you!!!!!!!!:D

I guess that's where you come in......

Look do you really have to jump up and down like a little kid
Geeez....just get a job and get on with it boy....
come to LAX and i'll jump up and down on my GLF5 and show you
how I'm a pilot....now wouldn't that be silly
well partner just look in the mirror.....
right back at ya....only i guess you ARE the clown.....:D :cool: :D

seat_of_my_pants
30th Oct 2002, 08:16
Blue Robin,
I'll be there for about 10am, most likely

star gazer2 you are a muppet

If you don't have anything relevant to say about this thread don't post here.

SOMP

Training Risky
30th Oct 2002, 09:08
Guys, first I've heard of this show, guess I should read FLYER more often... Does anyone think I could get a ticket at this late stage? Also, would this show be worth attending to someone in my position? (Mil rotary pilot- 400 hrs, looking for ATPL in civ street?) Any info gratefully received...

Stargazer02, obviously a mix of super hot west-coast sunshine/UV has fried your brain!:eek:

Footsie
30th Oct 2002, 09:34
Training Risky - I booked a ticket on Monday of this week, no problem at all. Like you, I managed to miss the numerous banners ads etc. etc.

From what little I know about the show, I reckon it's a day well spent for anyone interested in flying commercially.

Look forward to meeting fellow PPruners on the day.

BlueRobin
30th Oct 2002, 09:39
Tickets are £10 on the door, £8 pre-order. Not too late imo, but email [email protected] or [email protected]

Elvis21
30th Oct 2002, 12:44
This is a big ask but here goes.
I was due to attend the event but I broke my leg playing rugby on Sat. Would anyone be kind enough to pick up any literature for me and post it. I will naturally send an SAE to cover the cost of postage.
Many thanks PPRuNe ers

Elvis:)

seat_of_my_pants
30th Oct 2002, 13:12
Elvis - sorry to hear about your leg!

Blue Robin and Training Risky - like the muttonhead that I am I forgot that I have my Class 1 renewal booked first thing Sat am, so I won't be there until lunchtime, but the drinks option still stands for lunch/post show.

Also, I have just spoken to Maria at Flyer and she confirmed that tickets are availble still (There may also be some on the door - but call and confirm first)

Cheers,
SOMP

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Oct 2002, 16:40
Yes I agree, Stargazer - stop being a muppet.

Ta,

Funkie
30th Oct 2002, 19:22
Elvis,

What would you like. If I can get some stuff for you, I'll try.

I too broke my leg playing rugby, and f*#k me it was sore....

As for drinks/food, how shall we get in touch. I can e-mail those interested my mobile no. Just a thought...

WWW, are you attending?

Danny
30th Oct 2002, 20:24
Hi everyone. I will be at the show giving a talk on what the job is really like and about. Warts and all. I will also be around most of the day and usually it is worth going to the Three Magpies which is about 150 yards from the hotel after the show for a meal and a drink. I don't mind meeting anyone who wants to hang around for a drink there.

As for the advertsing... errr... there's been a banner at the top of every page in the Wannabes Forum for the last few weeks dedicated to the show which PPRuNe co-sponsors. As far as I am aware, tickets will be available on the day at the door. £1 of every ticket sale goes to the PPRuNe fund which is administered by PPRuNe Pop. Actually he won't mind me making a slight correction. It's IFR - PPRuNe Pop is his friend and gives him a lot of help though :D IFR will be there too!

Send Clowns
30th Oct 2002, 20:29
Stargazer, I am not aware that I have to justify my occupation to other members of the forum. My profile accurately answers all the relevant fields, nothing more nor less. Come and chat at the show and you may judge for yourself. If you take friendly and light-hearted comments to heart as showing a large ego that is your view - maybe I do have, but again I am not aware that I have to apologise for that, especially in the company we keep on PPRuNe.

seat_of_my_pants
31st Oct 2002, 09:01
Fra,
I'll send you my number.

Does anyone know the schedule for the seminars? (There are no times on the site)

Cheers

SOMP

empty pockets
31st Oct 2002, 13:55
hey,

I have decided to go to the show this year and, as a zero hour wannabe, was wondering what i should be looking out for and what sort of questions i should be asking the guys on the stands.

I am currently looking at applying for a career development loan to spend on flight training when I graduate next year.

How do I seperate the decent flight schools from the bad?

And does anyone know of a cheap hotel in London?

cheers.

Mister Geezer
31st Oct 2002, 16:51
You should be able to get something that suits you pocket which is not far from the Renaissance Hotel which is where the seminar is being held. Bear in mind that the hotel is right next to Heathrow so there are plenty of hotels near by and no need to stay in the centre of London, unless you really want to.

There is a Travelodge on Sipson Road that is 5 mins by car and probably 10 mins max on foot to get to where the seminar is being held. they seem to charge around the £50 I think!

Select Zone Five
1st Nov 2002, 10:33
I just e-mailed to reserve my ticket...can't decide whether to drive in or get the train and have a beer with you chaps?? :D

Elvis21
1st Nov 2002, 16:12
Does anyone (Danny) know what time the talks start as I might see if I can hobble over but I doubt I will be able to get there for 9:30?

Cheers

IanSeager
1st Nov 2002, 21:11
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but the seminars are scheduled to start at 11am.

See you there

Ian

pjdj777
2nd Nov 2002, 10:00
I'm on standby that day, but provided I don't get called in will see you all in the Three Magpies after it finishes.

Cheers

airbourne
3rd Nov 2002, 16:42
Just spoke to our lord almighty, i.e. IFR so Im gonna see if I can get the time off and come over. Will all ppruners be wearing their pins? Im sure IFR will have a few for sale on the day as well!

Touch'n'oops
5th Nov 2002, 02:09
A good idea is to use this opportunity to suss the schools avialible to you.

By talking to each of the different schools and using the same line of questioning, you will start to find differences.

As for what questions to ask them, it will depend on your perference. i.e Cost, Location, Time scale, reputation, etc...

So sit yourself down and write down the questions that come tp you. Then memorise the most important to you. Use them on each school you talk to. Then each school will start to appeal in different ways.

My best peice of advice is then to go and see your select few. It saved me from making a big mistake.

The students at the school will be your best source of infomation.

Good Luck!!;);)

darthmuppet
5th Nov 2002, 12:25
This Exhibition sounds good, But... been to quite a few exhibitions similar to this, now it aint free so can anyone in the know tell us Working-Class-Scum if there is gonna be any advice for Financing the training? (I know of one scottish based company that can help for £147) but any others? I mean there's alot been said here about sponsorship and A-levels, not to be negative but chances of getting sponsorship is slim AND u gotta fork out £30,000 toward sponsorship.

Having 10 A-levels and a first class honours in Astro physics aint gonna pay for the flying,

Anyone need a receptionist for they're flight school? I can make a good cup of tea.
So, for the inner city kids like myself, advise me....

:pI'm not a Jedi yet...

Funkie
5th Nov 2002, 18:58
darthmuppet….?

Question for you. When, or have you checked the Flyer website? Oddly enough, you will find an itinerary of the seminars proposed, and with times...... :confused:

For those who have suggested meeting up, if you can e-mail me your mobile numbers, or I can e-mail mine to you, we can arrange to meet up in the pub suggested by Danny, the Three Magpies I believe.

Regards,

IanSeager
6th Nov 2002, 13:15
The seminar topics and times are now online..

http://www.flyer.co.uk/PFTS.php#There

See you there :-)

Ian

no sponsor
6th Nov 2002, 13:51
Damn. I'll be at Twickenham on Saturday - maybe next year for me.

Elvis21
6th Nov 2002, 17:22
no sponsor,

I will gladly take that ticket off your hands:D

darthmuppet
6th Nov 2002, 18:02
Dont insult my intelligence buddy:mad:
Don't u think i checked the website b4?

The finance for training is a serious issue for us wannabes, dare I mention the word Malgus and I'm in s**t with the ppruner management, I know whats there and the itinerary.

my point was that with all the qualifications in the land, no money, no training. simple as that.

The cash is the foundation of training a pilot, dont matter that i got the ability!

All aboard the Money train.

Funkie
6th Nov 2002, 20:35
darthmuppet,

If that’s your attitude towards training and the industry, then good luck. I think you’ll need it ‘buddy’.

If I thought you had visited the website, then why would I suggest you look at it and why would you post such a comment…..!!!!!!!!

I agree, financing is a serious issue, it can and sometimes is the end-all- and be-all of a wannabes aspirations, being bitter and twisted about the Malagus scheme isn’t likely to get you very far now, is it.

I’m not saying I agree with their policy, far from it.

Good luck, might even see you at the show…..!

Tim_Q
7th Nov 2002, 08:19
Does anyone know if this event will be repeated next year?
Thanks!

BlueRobin
7th Nov 2002, 08:30
Sometime in April I think. :cool:

moo
7th Nov 2002, 12:52
i'm gonna try an get saturday off tomorrow, if all goes well, i'll see you all there!

Touch'n'oops
8th Nov 2002, 07:49
Take a look at

www.EPST.com

They wouldn't be paying for you, but will probably try to help!

It looks like a trip to the HSBC branch for a loan. Your not the first there!

Remember nearly everyone is struggling in this business. It's not all roses!

Good Luck mate and keep cool;)

Dufwer
8th Nov 2002, 08:58
Hi all,

I've checked out the map on how to get to the Renaissance Hotel. Could anyone who is familiar with the surroundings give a few suggestions as to where is the best (cheapest) place to park?

Thanks

apple
8th Nov 2002, 22:45
£6 for six hours at the Hotel`s car park

Ian_Wannabe
10th Nov 2002, 14:06
Hey,
I went to the same Flyer seminar in Manchester last year (VERY good btw).

Does anyone if they're coming to Manchester again? If so, do you know when? As going all the way down to London is a bit too far for me!

Thanks,

Ian

Ian_Wannabe
12th Nov 2002, 17:11
Anybody? :(

BlueRobin
13th Nov 2002, 07:56
P-p-p-pick up the phone or e-mail - http://www.flyer.co.uk/contact.php. I guess the lovely Nicola Pye would be the person to speak to?

Ian_Wannabe
13th Nov 2002, 19:05
BlueRobbin - I should really stop being so lazy shouldn't I??

Off to p-p-pick up that phone!

Ian