PDA

View Full Version : Sprouts!!!

ATCbabe
24th Oct 2002, 22:07
Ok guys,

Its coming up to that certain time of year again when families get together, and all the food and drink gets bought for the family to enjoy.

The turkey is roasted, the cranberry sauce is on the table, candles lit, you all know the scene. The wine gets poured, you all sit down at the table, then you spot the fecking horrid smelly green things on the plate!!!!!

Why oh why does my dad insist on giving me one token sprout on my plate EVERY year??? He tries to hide it under the turkey, potatoes, infact anything he can find to hide the lil fecker under:mad: :mad:

And he knows EVERY year that I will launch the lil sod at him at a high rate of knots. He says it wouldn't be Christmas without them!!

After a discussion on chat this evening it appears that feelings on sprouts run high. Peeps either like them or hate them. So what is the general feeling amongst prunies??

Can I have my way and ban the brussel sprout genes from the planet, or do I have to suffer the "find the sprout" game every year for the rest of my days???:confused:

Love em or loath em? Whats the verdict?

tony draper
24th Oct 2002, 22:11
I love sprouts.
I would live in a sprout if it was big enough and had windows.

ATCbabe
24th Oct 2002, 22:14
Stud,

you really are a strange lil man!!:p

jonathang
24th Oct 2002, 22:16
brussel sprout yuk,

babe they are the most disgusting things to eat in the world.

I say we feed them to all the Haggis,

That tastes much better on a plate :))

5milesbaby
24th Oct 2002, 22:16
Like cabbage, love sprouts :D

Marmite however..................love that too, so ya either love the crap or spew at the sight me thinks, don't think ya gonna win this one :cool:

Beethoven
24th Oct 2002, 22:17
They are the only veg that fights back when you bite them.Although I hate them,it wouldn't be christmas without them and the ensuing 3 hours of stomach cramps and flatulence...still,mummy cooks so I eat.

Select Zone Five
24th Oct 2002, 22:18
Hate them! Nasty bitter taste...I don't like Cranberry sauce on turkey either! Why have something sweet on lovely, yummy turkey, it's like having pineapple on pizza! eeugh!

Don't like parsnips either! :p

Captain Rodders
24th Oct 2002, 22:18
The thing I want to know is hoe anyone realised something so strange could be boiled and eaten.

Also how did they convince everyone else to do the same when they taste so yuk.

Send to room 101 pls along with cabbage.

CR

Fujiflyer
24th Oct 2002, 22:25
Absolutely love them :) In fact I can't think of any veggies I don't like :p

ORAC
24th Oct 2002, 22:33
Hated them as a kid. Love them now, same thing for cabbage. I also love sharp tastes like lemon and lime juice.

I gave up sugar for Lent in my teens (fair cop, heavy maternal pressure). Got to the end and made a cup of tea and put in a couple of spoonfuls - and spat it out. Can't stand the sickly sweet taste of it at all now.

Tastes change.

Capt Homesick
24th Oct 2002, 22:34
I like sprouts- it's probably the nicest winter vegetable. Just don't overcook it- it has to still have a little crunch to it! :p

jonathang
24th Oct 2002, 23:07
http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/sprout.htm

lol

EI_Sparks
24th Oct 2002, 23:12
Sprouts are nice - cooked right, they're nice to eat and cooked badly, they make great soggy projectiles :)

Rollingthunder
24th Oct 2002, 23:26
Sprouts - delicious baby cabbages.

If they're bitter something's wrong.
Buy them fresh and the smaller the better. Trim the outside leaves if they need trimming. Cut an X notch in the bottom of the stalk end (cooks them faster and more thoroughly). Serve glistening in a butter sauce or with turkey gravy.

Cooked celery in any shape or form I can not stand. Very much like it raw. Ditto cabbage.

reynoldsno1
24th Oct 2002, 23:37
Love them sprouts, and they're really nice cold as well. Cook the turkey on the BBQ, and it gets lightly smoked at the same time.

Uncle Cracker
24th Oct 2002, 23:49
Sprouts - Hurrah!!

I know yer shouldn't overcook 'em, but I just lurrve it when they've gone soggy with loads of gravy. Mmm mmmmm.

What's the diff between a bogey an' a sprout?
Yer can't get kids to eat a sprout. Yeeerrgh...

DX Wombat
24th Oct 2002, 23:54
Sprouts are delicious! one of the best bits of Christmas dinner. it wouldn't be a proper Christmas dinner without sprouts.[COLOR=limegreen] :D

Tinker
25th Oct 2002, 00:06
I'm not overly keen on any vegetable but I do occasionaly enjoy them. I have over the last few years come to grips with cooking them and for the last few years have endevoured to cook an acceptable Christmas dinner for my family including Mum (well she did spend the last 20 odd christmas days cooking so I thought I should return the complement).
Anyway, being lazy I used Tescos home delivery service to supply the raw ingedients. One of which being sprouts, I thought four per plate was enough so I entered 12 into the order box. If you haven't guessed already, 12 kilos of sprouts arrived, and I was the one who took delivery. All I can say is that it was a credit to the proffessionalism of the driver that he kept a straight face. :( :D

What a Loop
25th Oct 2002, 06:01
Sprouts Grrr:mad: hate them Ban them all. Only good for rabbit food:D :D

Mind you Mrs WAL likes them at Christmas, knew there was something funny about that womens taste:D :D :D

brockenspectre
25th Oct 2002, 06:23
I'm with ORAC on this - as a child I hated them, and would only accept the tiniest lil ones on my plate (I grew up in the days of children eating real food not junk like nowadays and of having to eat a balanced diet, no questions!). Over the years, as I took on the role of Christmas "mom" I liked to maintain the tradition of sproots (as well as other festive veggies from around the world) and made it my business to fine edible ones. Best by far are the frozen baby ones and... speaking with one of the greengrocery dudes at Waitrose last year was actually told that sprouts nowadays do not taste as bitter as they used to because they have been bred to be sweeter!

So... for all of you who haven't been trying the wee greenies for a number of years give em a try this year, well, one at least!!

There are some good ways of cookin em to make them more "fun" too but I won't bore you with recipes (you know me and cooking!!).

:D

flapsforty
25th Oct 2002, 07:20
You people can't be serious!
Sprouts for Xmas? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Or to quote Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention:
May the Lord have mercy on the people of England for all the terrible food they must eat.

;)

paulc
25th Oct 2002, 07:22
Dislike anything green on my plate especially sprouts / cabbage / leeks etc

Windy Militant
25th Oct 2002, 07:40
Blaaaaaaaach! I absolutely hate the things, even the thought of them makes my stomach turn over. (Where's the queasy Smily?)

Anthony Carn
25th Oct 2002, 08:04
Sprouts?..........bleaurg !

My childhood (which I'm still in) solution to compulsory sprouts was to mash them with potato in the approximate ratio of one part sprout to three parts potato, then add lots of gravy and pepper ! What a performance !

Mushy peas........mmmmm..........now yer talkin ! ( paarp, pardon !)

kopbhoy2
25th Oct 2002, 08:37
Horrible bitter tasting mini cabbages...which is why I really do have to wonder why I eat the things every xmas. Part of the tradition I suppose...

Tastes do change though...and tastes are weird - I can' stand sweet corn out of a tin but I'll eat corn on the cob quite happily! And like ORAC I too gave up sugar in tea (& coffee) for lent when I was a child, and I wouldn't dream of going back!

Grim Reaper 14
25th Oct 2002, 09:15
Marvellous. Steamed, or microwaved, to retain the crunch. Served with a dollop of ketchup on each one. Start blaming the cat for the smells a couple of hours later. :(

WeatherJinx
25th Oct 2002, 09:53
Vegetable of the Devil...begone.

Octopussy
25th Oct 2002, 09:57
Sprouts are, quite simply, the nastiest vegetable ever to blight a dinner plate.

Celery gets my second prize. How can something made mainly of water taste soooo bad?

flower
25th Oct 2002, 10:01
Sprouts,

YUK YUK YUK

Gainesy
25th Oct 2002, 10:29
Sprouts--blech.

Never, ever feed 'em to a labrador. Resultant green-clouds-fart syndrome takes at least two days to clear--just from one sprout. Be warned. :eek:

Who has control?
25th Oct 2002, 10:30
Question :- "When should one start cooking sprouts for Xmas dinner?"

Answer:- "About mid-November!"

Sprouts are really scrummy, chose the small ones, peel the outer leaves, just show them the boiling water, and allow butter to melt over them.

Now bananas - yuk, yuk, vomit, puke. Fruit of the devil!! spit and pull nasty face!

Nopax,thanx
25th Oct 2002, 10:40
A mate of mine used to (ahem) 'think of sprouts to delay that certain moment' when he was engaged in that wot consenting couples do.....:rolleyes:

However, as he got older, his tastes changed, and he started to like 'em - so he had to think about parsnips instead!!!:D

4fitter
25th Oct 2002, 10:45
Nopax Thanx - I tried thinking of my mum ! but when it stopped working I got real worried.

Love sprouts esp with mushy peas and washed down with a bit of ale.

tony draper
25th Oct 2002, 11:11
Well thats interesting,
sproutophobes 12
sproutophiles 15.

Admitedly a couple of ambiguous posts re the uses of sprouts in prolonging the sex act, I think thats what they are talking about anyway,
Sprouts as a alternate energy source and methane producer,
and one psychological profile of Draper from the instigator of this thread.
Plus a srange post from Flappy who prolly has never seen a sprout.
My generation had ter eat our sprouts or we got no puddin.

So the sprout lovers have it.:rolleyes:

Naa na na naaa naaaaa, Babe :p

Mr_Grubby
25th Oct 2002, 11:39
Cook sprouts. Place in serving dish. Pour over fresh double cream.
Put under grill just long enough to warm cream. Serve. Fantastic.
Put loo roll in fridge because you will need it shortly.

Mr G.
:)

Bev Bevan
25th Oct 2002, 12:13
Bleeeerrrrgggghhhh!! the most disgusting vegetable ever.

Fortunately, I was never forced to eat them as a child.. apparently the look on my face when i tried to eat one the first time was enough and that to force them on me amounted to child crulety.

St Hilary
25th Oct 2002, 19:53
I only eat them raw. not to keen on them cooked they just lose
their crispiness.

Capt. Amazing
25th Oct 2002, 20:08
Sprouts are bad business, very bad business indeed.

ATCbabe
25th Oct 2002, 22:26
Stud,

The game aint over till the last post, or till I decide ;) ;)

Come on sprout haters, get your vote counted!!!

Anthony Carn
26th Oct 2002, 09:07
:confused:

"It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings"!

ATCbabe, are you that very same fat lady ? :eek:
Eating too many sprouts, that's what's done it, I'll bet . :rolleyes:

Techchick
26th Oct 2002, 12:07
They are lovely!!...... that is , when I cook them, they are. Crunchy and a bit nutty(like me) and delicious!

Then again, mother in law starts cooking them in november, and they are yellowy and slimey and....... ohhhh I cant go on...:(

tony draper
26th Oct 2002, 13:25
Oh Brussel sprout, Oh brussel sprout,
Yer round and green and perky.
Though a work of art yer are,
I gonna eat you with me Turkey.

:rolleyes:

EI-TURKEY
26th Oct 2002, 21:39
Love sprouts, hate cabbage, can't seem to get that thru' to wife, any more then I could get it thru' to mumsey!!!!!!:eek:

jonathang
26th Oct 2002, 22:56
Had to post again babe ,

Reiterate my HATE for the evil little critters.

We need to wipe them out,

Any ideas ?

tony draper
26th Oct 2002, 23:08
Thats cheating Johnathang, still only counts as one vote. :D

Captain Over
26th Oct 2002, 23:54
BLAH!!!

I picture the seed-packagers that put this vile, disgusting veggie's babies into packets to mail out to equally evil planters of thus said blah-veggies as the epitome of evilness...I can hear their laughter permeating the dingy, thick walled dungeon they ply their trade of evilness at...as they sit there imagining allllll the horrid faces their craftsmanship produces.

My thoughts on where sprouts originated? It has to be what the Almighty made from the first waste-plop that came from the equally inedible squish-squash family.

I am STILL shuddering at the last "attempt" to "EAT" one of those vile things...

"Vermin, I tell you Jenkins, VERMIN!! OFF with the SPROUTS or OFF with your HEAD!!"

:D:D:D

Someone start a poll on this...

tony draper
26th Oct 2002, 23:59
Sprout thou art a noble globe,
undeserving of this hate.
A boon to every stomach,
a grace to any plate.;)

B222
27th Oct 2002, 01:12
Christmas without sprouts is like Christmas without Santa !

Blacksheep
27th Oct 2002, 02:01
People who eat boiled vegetables get what they deserve :p

Trim the sprouts, slice in half and heat, slice facing down on a hot pan greased with butter until the face is carmelised. Set the sprouts on one side. Lower heat, add a little oil to the pan, then cook a mixture of smashed garlic, thinly sliced onions and mushrooms until the onions begin to soften. Add a little water and some oyster sauce and simmer. Return the sprouts to the pan face down again and let them soak up the gravy. Serve with your turkey or eat by themsleves.

Boiled sprouts indeed! What a bunch of barbarians! :rolleyes:

Through difficulties to the cinema

Select Zone Five
27th Oct 2002, 09:16
My tip for preparing sprouts...

1) Liquify them with blender
2) Pour them down the sink when nobody is looking :p

Christmas without sprouts is like...Christmas without sprouts...Yay! :)

We used to get Noel Edmonds every Christmas morning, got rid of him, sprouts must be next!

ATCbabe
27th Oct 2002, 14:19
Stud,

I am off line for 2 days with problems with my new flat screen monitor (needless to say the puter shop had a few major problems with me!!!!!!:mad: ) and you have hijacked the sprout thread for your own nefarious purposes!!

But I'm back to defend my cause and continue the campaign of the "Prunies against sprouts". Badges are being made as I type and this is only the beginning. You have been warned....... :p

Fox Fire
27th Oct 2002, 15:04
She's complaining about a nice vegetable and makes me eat bloody Haggis!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Nuffin' wrong with the humble sprout - one just has to cook them properly.

djk
27th Oct 2002, 17:03
oooh I used to hate sprouts until I learnt a new way off cooking them.

It's best to find sprouts that have had the chance to be exposed to the first frost of the year.

Trim and cross the sprouts, make sure you don't use sprouts that are very big as they tend to be quite bland in flavour.

Then place in a pan with enough water to cover them, place a small knob of butter in the centre (between 1-2oz) and then sprinkle a handful of sugar over them. Place a cartouche of greaseproof paper over it with a small hole in the centre and simmer gently for about an hour or until soft, but still firm in the middle
and then drain and serve. :D

Mac the Knife
27th Oct 2002, 17:25
Sprouts! Vile disgusting things. Peculiar taste. A bizarre English tradition. Forced to eat tons of them at Prep school in the 50's (also beetroot [double yeughhh!!!] and wurzels) and dollops of WW2 leftover dried egg.

Nice memories - fried bread and tomatoes - yum!

henry crun
27th Oct 2002, 20:05
Dkosky, you have pointed out a factor so far missing on this thread, which can greatly affect the taste of said vegetable.

Sprouts benefit from being exposed to frost, the harder the better, because it causes them to tighten up and they are thus less likely to go mushy when cooked.

I still detest them, frosted ot not. :)

djk
27th Oct 2002, 20:54
Henry,

I am often called "Cheffie" when in the chat room :D

This goes back to my college days when I trained as a chef and obtained my City & Guilds in that profession :D

ATCbabe
27th Oct 2002, 21:19
Cheffie,

It not matter how you cook 'em they still bogging!!!!!!;)

tony draper
27th Oct 2002, 21:27
Me is still ahead here Babe, na naa nana naaaa..:D

spanner-do
28th Oct 2002, 08:44
:) :) :)

SproutsRus

I'm with Drapes on this one.

Now if someone was to make sprouts which tasted like the Sweetheart Cabbage then I know that the spanner-doettes would also be converted.

PilotsPal
28th Oct 2002, 10:36
Remember when you eat your sprouts that a cabbage has given up its babies.

But surely broccoli is far worse then sprouts?

Who has control?
28th Oct 2002, 11:06
What about - cauliflower stalks??

For all us decicated Sprouters can I bring the following delicacy to your attention.

Next time you prepare a cauliflower, cut all the florets off which just leaves the stalk. Peel the stalk to remove the outer rind, trim the end to clean it and you are left with a with a white stick. Try eating it raw - its absolutely gorgeous, crisp & nutty.

Select Zone Five
28th Oct 2002, 11:12
I'll give that a go..I love raw veggies, carrots, cauliflower and the like. Don't think I'd like raw sprouts though, probably taste even worse than cooked ones.

BTW, does anyone actually like watercress? I think it's far too bitter to eat but mum says it's good for your blood?? :rolleyes:

djk
28th Oct 2002, 16:32

Now who could resist brocoli fleurettes that have been steamed then tossed lightly in clarified butter, seasoned with black pepper and then garnished with lightly roasted almonds? :D

watercress is quite nice in a small quantity within a salad. It does however have a somewhat bitter taste to it, but that can be negated by a nice vinegarette.

ATCBabe,
when you're tried sprouts in the past, are you sure you've not been sampling my mum's cooking at the time? Her method of cooking any veg was to place the pressure cooker, cook until more or less all the flavour had gone and then add a dollop of butter.

:rolleyes:

Lan Ding Gere
29th Oct 2002, 06:34
Quote from the BTInternet website

"Very cheap to produce - Sprouts are an excellent food for paupers!"

Just what the bl00dy hell are they trying to say !!!!!!!

:mad: