PDA

View Full Version : Orwell times getting closer?

Squawk7777
24th Oct 2002, 17:43
The Reporters without borders (http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=4116) published their first worldwide press freedom index and I am surprised to see how "low" some of the Western democracies scored. Especially the UK struck me by being 21st, Austria 26th, and Italy 40th.

:eek:

Send Clowns
24th Oct 2002, 18:09
Mmmmm, no explanation of the UK's low position. I have complained often about the lack of impartiality and independence of the BBC, but even I would not have guessed it would be so low. However, to put it in context, all the top 30 countries for example seem to have a fairly free press (less than 8% arbitary non-freedom measure in this list).

The list may have even been meaningful had there been an explanation of what the percentage points meant, or why the US is criticised for coming in 17th and Senegal praised for coming 47th.

Wino
24th Oct 2002, 18:21
Basically these people that published the opinions are of the feelings that reporters are above the law. So those idiot reporters that run guns through security to make the 600 news are to be praised.

The fact that they get arrested for that in America, makes America rank below belize.

Yeah, there is a report that I put a lot of stock in!

CHeers
Wino

lunkenheimer
24th Oct 2002, 18:23
I'd like to know what non-governmental forms of media control were considered. I personally am concerned at the large media conglomerates sanitizing and reprocessing the news into uniform servings of info-porridge rather than the more desirable (IMHO) collection of independent newspapers and reporters who competed with each other to find the Real Story.

It's not exactly repression of the media, but a convincing facsimile....:(