PDA

View Full Version : Whats on your shelf

3 D
24th Oct 2002, 16:48
Just an idea that may help those like myself who want to learn without wasting money (well maybe not having any money left to waste would be a more accurate description).

How about listing the books you have found most useful or interesting along with their ISBN numbers and perhaps a brief description of what its about or why it is good.

For starters:

Principles of Helicopter Flight, ISBN 1-56027-217-1: A great book on the basics of helicopter aerodynamics and flight. Ideal for the new helicopter pilot and very good, easy to understand explanations of most principles.

The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters, ISBN 0 8138-2169-X: Broken down into basic and advanced sections this book has some good explanations of why things happen the way the do when we fly. Written from the pilots perspective I have found it helpful reading while learning to fly.

Meteorology for Pilots, ISBN 1 84037 284 2: Excellent Book on this subject.

If no one is interested in that idea then could someone please post the ISBN numbers for proutys' books as I would love to get my hands on a copy.

cheers all

Shawn Coyle
24th Oct 2002, 19:55
As the author of the Art and Science, (and soon to be released Cyclic and Collective), here's the list of books I've used to support what I've written.
Unfortunately, all of Ray Prouty's Helicopter Aerodynamics (etc.) books are out of print - only his Helicopter Performance, Stability and Control is still available.

Shawn Coyle

List of books used for Cyclic and Collective...
Foundations of Helicopter Flight, Simon Newman, Edward Arnold, 1994
Helicopter Performance, Stability and Control, Ray Prouty, Robert E. Kreiger, 1990
Advanced Pilots Flight Manual, William Kershner, Iowa State University Press,
Stick and Rudder, Wolfgang Langesweiche
Helicopter Theory, Wayne Johnson, Princeton University Press, 1980
Sikorsky Helicopter Flight Theory for Pilots and Mechanics, United Technologies, 1964.
Basic Helicopter Handbook, FAA Advisory Circular EA-AC-61-13B
Helicopter Pilot Manual, Jeppesen
‘Helicopter Principles of Flight’, ancient manuscript from UK Central Flying School, RAF Tern Hill, UK Ministry of Defence
Simple Rotorcraft, Sandy Mathieson, (unpublished manuscript)
Learning to Fly Helicopters, R. Randall Padfield, Tab Practical Flying Series
Rotary Wing Flight, US Army Field Manual FM-1-51
Helicopter Aerodynamics Outline, Bell Helicopter Textron
Flying the Rotors, Bill Loftus, 1992
Principles of Helicopter Flight, W.J. Wagtendonk, ASA Press, 1996
Les Principals De L’ Helicoptre?
Various Pilot Operating Handbooks, Flight Manuals, Maintenance and Overhaul manuals and Canadian, US and foreign military Technical manuals, including: AS 350 series, AS 332, Bell 206, 407, 430, S-76, CH-135, OH-58A, CH-46, CH-47.
Training Material for a variety of helicopters
UK CAA examination material for ATPL exams
FAA Advisory Circular 27-1 Certification of Normal Category Rotorcraft
FAA Advisory Circular 29-2A Certification of Transport Category Rotorcraft
How to Fly Helicopters, 2nd Edition Larry Collier, revised by Kas Thomas, Tab Books, 1986
Wind Energy,
Numerous articles and papers from the American Helicopter Society Journal and Forum Proceedings
Air to Air Heat Exchangers for Houses, William Shurcliff, Brick House Publishing Company, Andover, Mass, 1982. (source of the relative humidity charts, if you were wondering what a book like this had to do with helicopters)
Helicopter Pilot Manual, Jeppesen Sanderson, 1996
Helicopter Maintenance, Joe Schafer, Jeppesen Sanderson, 1980.
Weather Ways
Air Command Weather Manual
Meteorology Self-Instruction Manual (available from Atmospheric Environmental Services, attn: AWTD, 4905 Dufferin Street, Downsview, Ontario, Canada.
Jane’s Aerospace Dictionary, Bill Gunston, Jane’s London, 1980

Nick Lappos
25th Oct 2002, 00:06
A great way to find used books is to use

www.abe.com

which has a great search engine, by author, title, key words, or whatever.

I do recommend "Stick and Rudder" by Langeswiesche to every aviator, it is simply the best book on airwork basics, and a guide to all of us on how to write effective,. precise and simple prose.

Dave Jackson
25th Oct 2002, 00:43
Here's some more (http://www.unicopter.com/B281.html), but there's no description.

Dave J.

TwinHueyMan
25th Oct 2002, 07:59
I remember almost buying "The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters" one day in a pilot shop, just because it has a beautiful, sexy helicopter gracing the cover (just like a penthouse or playboy!). I'm definatley going to pick this one up, as well as a few more that you guys' reccomend. Let's see the top picks, not just the articles in magazines that verified how to spell "articulated" :)

Mike

Whirlybird
25th Oct 2002, 09:43
If anyone ever finds a source for Ray Prouty's Helicopter Aerodynamics etc books, please let me know. I have two of them on loan from a friend - but I'll have to give them back some day.:( :( :( Absolutely brilliant, and he explains most of it with hardly any maths, for the non-technical amongst us. I've trawled 2nd hand book websites, but never found any copies.

Other than that I can't recommend much that hasn't already been mentioned, except to say that without "The Art and Science..." I don't think I'd have passed my CPL Principles of Flight - thank you Shawn.

Flight Safety
26th Oct 2002, 02:01
Agree Whirlybird, "The Art and Science..." helped me as well. Thanks Shawn. ;)

Nick, I also have "Stick and Rudder" and agree with you, a great book on basic flight.

A quick search of Amazon.com shows the following availabilty of Ray Prouty's books:

Helicopter Aerodynamics - used book network only
More Helicopter Aerodynamics - 3 to 5 weeks
Even More Helicopter Aerodynamics - used book network only
Practical Helicopter Aerodynamics - used book network only
Helicopter Performance, Stability, and Control - 3 to 4 weeks, expensive (> $100), might be hard to get
Military Helicopter Design Technology - 3 to 4 weeks, might be hard to get

I've had some fair success in the past using their used book network. The books I've gotten have all been in good condition, and the prices were fair also. Each used book seller is also rated by the customers (just like the books are), thus making "caveat emptor" a little easier.

wde
26th Oct 2002, 05:06
I have Prouty's book on Basic Aerodynamics and

Richard Bach: A Gift of Wings: ISBN 0-440-20432-1
Michael Collins: Carrying the Fire: SBN 345-24560-1-195
Brendan Gill: Lindbergh Alone ISBN 0-15-152401-7
Walter Henry: Unchartered Skies: Cdn Bush Pilot Stories ISBN 0-919091-43-1

and of course the great early American Aviation tome by Ernest K. Gann, "Fate is the Hunter."

Whirlybird
26th Oct 2002, 14:13
Flight Safety,

Thanks. I thought I'd tried Amazon, but I'll have another look!

3 D
26th Oct 2002, 15:59
Wow thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply. A special thanks to Shawn for a great book and the very comprehensive list of books in your post.

Looks like my christmas wish list will be very long this year thanks again all.