PDA

View Full Version : LHR 09R close

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2002, 15:07
LHR experienced a Runway 09R closure today, after a though Boeing 747-400 belonging to Thai Airlines had a burst tire ormore on departure from the runway. He said his flight would continue, so no turnback.
I heard the whole lot on my scanner. Two triple sevens belonging to BA were on the runway waiting for departure, and eventually the debris was cleared.

About a 25 minute delay. Never seen such a line up down that taxiway. And by the way...what a nice paint job on the Qantas 747-400 F1 Racing scheme!

Anyone else any info? Well..I've pretty much said what happened :D From what I can remember, it was two triple sevens, a Saudi 777, a small Lufthansa jet, and a few BMIs, followed by Olympic, BA and some plain white A310 down the line...

Smooth skies,
Dan :)

P.S - Id be interested to hear about the landing of the Thai :confused:

vegas_jonny
24th Oct 2002, 16:20
Did you get the registrations?!

HOT SHOT
24th Oct 2002, 16:24
Spot On !!:D

timmcat
24th Oct 2002, 16:32
Tonic Please...

Please don't take the above comments the wrong way, but you may find this site a little more relevant to your interests.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hjcurtis/spotting_a.html

Tim

Smokie
24th Oct 2002, 16:50
Don't take any notice of any of the above , they are all being smart arses.

Wonder what did happen to the Thai on its arrival though ?

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2002, 17:08
Thanks those people not being like 411A and being a bit dismissive about my aviation interest..but they do not realise I already have a PPL, and have a job offer in Canada upon completion of my CPL, Instructors Rating and Multi Engine.

Oh yea..I''ll be 18 when these are finished.

Dont jump to conclusions about people who watch aircraft. I do not take down idents nor even have a pen with me. It is purely the love and interest of aviation as a whole.
I have not checked your profiles as yet, but if I find out you are not pilots, then you do not know what you are missing. Flying is such a joy as many will agree. If you are pilots, then I think you are in the wrong job for two reasons:

a) Not being interested in what you do, and B) being rude about other peoples interests just to satisfy your own sarcastic ways.

Not professional

Smooth skies

Dan :D :rolleyes:

NigelOnDraft
24th Oct 2002, 17:19
Smokie...

<<Wonder what did happen to the Thai on its arrival though ?>>
Unless (tireless) Thai 744s are supersonic, I suspect he's still enroute...

Having got gear up and pressurisation normal by the time you are aware of the tire bursts, and very heavy, probably best to proceed to destination and sort the problem out at home and much lighter.

NoD

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2002, 17:29
NoD...He was aware of the problem straight after take-off as Tower advised him. I think there was a language problem, but he opted to continue...

Smooth skies

Tony_EM
24th Oct 2002, 17:49
We had an SQ 744 come in from SIN after suffering a main gear (centre port bogey) tyre failure. Debris had punched a hole in the wing root fairing about 3 by 5 feet in size just aft of the training edge, and also left a fair sized dent in the fuel tank. There were black marks along the fuselage as high as the windows, presumably from tyre debris. Cabin crew reported higher than normal cabin noise during the flight.

This flight crew were also notified about 20-30 minutes after departure by the tower, but they could not confirm the debris found on the runway at SIN was actually theirs. They elected to press on, but were shocked at the amount of damage when they saw it.

I can understand the decision to carry on, as any problem would supposedly occur during landing, regardless of where they choose to put down, but having seen the damage to this aircraft, I wonder if some crews ever consider a fuel dump and RTB.

Always amazed at how tough these birds really are.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Oct 2002, 17:53
Tonic. Don't get distressed. I am an air traffic controller and still listen to my VHF radio at home. That's how I started in this game - as an avid spotter with a VHF set about 45 years ago. However, when I hear something like you heard I don't find any necessity to write about it on the Professional Pilots Network! It really isn't "big" news. I've had exactly that sort of thing happen when I was a Tower controller at Heathrow. Blocked runway.. fine.. let's get some across to the other side, etc. It quite obviously was no big deal to the crew either or they would have returned. I had a 747 lose a wheel on take off at Heathrow once and he just kept going. To those of us in the business it just happens and we sort it like professionals and that's it. There are far more exciting things than that going on which still don't get mentioned on here, believe me.

Anyway, good luck with your career..

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2002, 17:57
Heathrow Director, I appreciate your reply. Just thought that closing a runway at an international airport would have been of interest to some people. Well, at least one of the 50,000 plus members. Obviously not...

Anyway, onward with my life I go

Smooth skies,

timmcat
24th Oct 2002, 19:10
No offence intended.. I think it was the last paragraph of your initial post which gave some of us the wrong idea. My 'spotting' link was a well meaning effort to point someone in a direction I genuinely thought might be of interest.

PS.. No, I'm not a Pilot

PPS... and I too have a scanner...

PPPS and yes, everyone thinks I take numbers too (which I absolutely do not).

Best of luck with your career.

Tim

mutt
24th Oct 2002, 19:43
I found it interesting, thanks........

Especially after reading http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=669324#post669324

Mutt.

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2002, 20:02
Thanks for your clarification. I did think that your "link" was in the kindest of interests. It was the other posts, which frustrated me. Unfortunately, intonation is hard to get across on these things, so do take what I say in the kindest of ways, unless I make it blindingly obvious that I am very miffed :D (which will not happen I am sure)

Many thanks for your comment at the end. I would like to keep you informed. Are you at the gatbash?

Smooth skies

Dan :cool:

BahrainLad
24th Oct 2002, 20:05
Ever been to a large garden party?

You can tell the aviation people as they all look at the sky when the BA*** to *** flies over.

What's wrong with being passionate about your job? In all its shapes and forms?

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2002, 20:18
Well said BL. I'm sure someone passionate about Architecture would admire the many buildings he sees.

Smooth skies :D

eyeinthesky
24th Oct 2002, 20:41

Two triple sevens belonging to BA were on the runway waiting for departure

UNQUOTE

Unlikely... unless the Tower had really messed up.;)

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2002, 20:58
I have just remembered that that was the illusion I got. It was holding on the south side, but from whre we were, at the ESSO station, it looked to be behind it.

Appolgese :D

Smooth skies

eeper
26th Oct 2002, 08:29
I think you'll find that the second "BA 777" waiting for departure was actually a 767 (I was flying it!). We were not actually lined up, but were negotiating the S-bend chicane on the South side of 09R.

From what we heard the Saudi 777 was about to line up when he reported a "box" in front of him that looked like it belonged on an aircraft. Then one of the Midlands chimed in, saying he could see debris on the runway - excellent spot as I couldn't see anything. 09R was closed for about half an hour and, listening to delivery, the delays it caused were quite substantial. Some aircraft were allowed to depart from 09L, but only a few got away before 09R reopened.

Hope this is of interest.

Anthony Carn
26th Oct 2002, 18:00
Don't think anyone's taking the mick out of anyone here, but it does'nt really matter anyway. PPRuNe encourages humourous chatter/repartee, which often comes across as sarcasm or criticism when not intended. :)

Good luck with the flying career, Tonic Please, you'll b****y well need it ! ( see--perfect example of what I said ) ;)

Speedbird252
26th Oct 2002, 20:25
Yeh fair point Tonic Please, but at the same time its a bit bad form to start accusing people of being or not being like someone who hasnt even posted on this thread. (411a)

Remember what Clint Eastwood said in The Dead Pool, "Opinions are like A$$holes, everybodys got one."

Speedy.

:rolleyes:

Yellow Snow
27th Oct 2002, 10:59
eeper,
check your pm or mail.