PDA

View Full Version : Athletics

FlyingForFun
24th Oct 2002, 15:41
Why do runners always run around an athletics track anti-clockwise? Are there any races which are run clockwise? And what are the implications from a training point of view - would the muscles on one leg need to be developed more than the other? How about running shoes - is there an advantage in making the outside shoe somehow different to the inside shoe?

Sorry, I'm having a slow day - but it's a genuine question.

FFF
-----------------

Grim Reaper 14
24th Oct 2002, 15:47
Barkeep! Another Smirnoff Ice for poor bored Fu-Fu. No don't worry about his car keys, he usually drives pi55ed.

Select Zone Five
24th Oct 2002, 16:12
:D Never gonna live that one down FFF :D

FlyingForFun
24th Oct 2002, 16:28
Of course I'll live it down, SZF - I'll just have to wait until Grim catches me doing or saying something even more stupid! :D

And if you think I'm bored, you should see the guy sat oposite me - it was him who asked me the question in the first place!

Oh yes, I found a very nice drink which might have to replace Smirnoff Ice as my new favourite - Citrus Smirnoff Ice! :cool: Now, I wonder if Grim will let me have a quick drink before I leave work? Or do I have to have the same alcohol limits for work as I do for flying? ;) Definitely won't drink before running anti-clockwise around the running track though.... :rolleyes:

FFF
---------------

In Altissimus
24th Oct 2002, 16:42
Because the Greeks did it that way:cool:

See Athletics and Mathematics in Archaic Corinth: the Origins of the Greek Stadion (http://omega.cohums.ohio-state.edu/hyper-lists/bmcr-l/1995/95.09.19.html)

Allegedly.

Jeez FFF - you dunno what a 'slow day' is unless you've worked here...

Anthony Carn
24th Oct 2002, 19:27
Thought the Greeks did things the wrong way round to just about everyone else ! :eek:

Just occurs -- using first principles, does an anticlockwise direction naturally favour right-footed athletes i.e the majority ? ( or am I on the wrong track and pursuing a limp theory ? ) .